What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual B&C Voltage regulator install location

bluskydreamin

Getting ready to install both B&C VRs in the project. Anyone care to share where you mounted yours for ease of access down the road?

Thanks!

Behind the panel the first sub panel but wherever you mount it consider being able to adjust it if you have the adjustable version.

As my first subpanel was full, I placed two 3/4 X 3/4" angles fore-and-aft between the subpanel and the panel. The two VRs rest on and are attached to the angles with screws. B&C recommends vertical orientation, but to me solid state power electronics do not care which way they face.

I?ve been thinking about this a bit as well.
I have an 8yo flying RV7 which I built and also did a complete panel refresh around 4y ago. I?ve spent a lot of time maintaining and ?tinkering? with it over this time so now that I?m building the 10 fuse I find myself continually assessing the build from a future maintenance perspective.
For example I have vowed that there will be nothing forward of the sub-panel on this plane. :rolleyes:
I currently have a dual B&C alt setup and will likely replicate that in the 10.
I?m looking at all that space under the front row seats thinking it must be useful for all sorts of things. ADHRS / voltage regulators / busses etc.
Has anyone used this space like this? Super easy maintenance access it would appear at first glance.
Cheers

I hadn?t considered the fact that there were fuel lines there.
After all there are plenty of places in the 7 where there is co-located
fuel lines and wiring.
At the margin though I can see more risk with having exposed terminals on a fuse block or the like than contiguous wires running through the area.

Location considerations

Thanks for the input guys. I was not considering the need to adjust voltage as I should have. The vertical mount suggestion from B&C may be a consideration for moisture / condensate dripping for the wiring.

The under seats location could be good real estate if your mounting components under the upper seat pan as long as you have a drip loop in the wiring.

Indeed

...and fairy neutral from a CG perspective, if you're obsessing about that sort of thing.

. . . B&C recommends vertical orientation, but to me solid state power electronics do not care which way they face.

While the chip may not care, there may be a thermal cooling reason for the orientation. If there are heat sinks on any of the electronic devices, the orientation of the heat sink with regard to vertical can impact the ability of the heat sink to dissipate the surplus heat.

I'm not saying that is the case with the B&C regulators as I don't know if they have heat sinks, but it might be a reason for the orientation recommendation.

Last edited:
Back