to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb View Post
Iím looking for recommendations. Plenty of choices and wanted to see what folks liked. Smaller size and clutch is preferred.
I am not knocking any of the others but I have had very good service with this one and the price is good. It was Hitachi when I bought it but the customer comments explain this is the same thing, that Hitachi bought the other company, same tool.
https://smile.amazon.com/Metabo-HPT-...07L78Y72J&th=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 8.12.09 PM.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	31925
We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!" -J.L. Seagull
Paid $25.00 "dues" 2022.

my website

Old 10-06-2022, 09:37 PM

I have a cheapo Black & Decker "gyro" driver - it works well. Recently, though, I've been going back to my ages-old standby - a 1/4" drive Snap-On speed wrench with a hex bit adapter on the end.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:32 PM

Of all the things to fail on these things, and among the most expensive to replace are the batteries. How many manufacturers have a free lifetime replacement warrantee on batteries? Rigid is one, and I'm on my second set of new (free) batteries. My otherwise excellent DeWalt didnt do that, and after I found out the replacement batteries cost 85% of the original purchase price for the whole kit, I went to Rigid.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 10-07-2022, 05:50 AM

Default Cheapo Skil mini

I have an old (20yrsish) Skil with internal rechargeable battery. Super small, very light and has a headlight. This thing fits in tight spots, has no sharp corners and can be thrown in a flight bag when going somewhere. Mine no longer holds charge very long and I'm going to attempt to replace the internal battery or just get a new one. I have a Bosh and a Dewalt, which are nice, but this tiny palm screw driver is my go to weapon of choice for the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skil.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	31934  
Old 10-07-2022, 09:52 AM

I have a NoCry drill I found on line for less than $40 that is small, light, and has 5 torque settings. It is several years old and still works great. I find the lowest settings is tight enough and the second setting is a bit too tight, for #8 Phillips head screws. I rarely strip screws and use it preferentially over my Makita and my Dewalt. YMMV.

John Koonce
N78MU-RV 10
Old 10-07-2022, 09:58 AM

If you get a cordless drill, get something that is lightweight. The ones with the stick batteries are great. When you have to match drill several hundred holes in a skin, your wrist will appreciate the lightweight.

As for a screwdriver, I use a small rechargeable Black and Decker for my deburring. If you get the cleaveland tool set, it'll have a hex drive deburring tool that fits perfectly. It also turns very slow, so you won't countersink the holes when deburring.

I took a builders course in Boone, Iowa at WC Aircraft, which is closely affiliated with cleaveland tools. This was also the screw driver they recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...s%2C109&sr=8-9

Last edited by dwollen89 : 10-07-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:13 AM

I missed the fact that we are discussing screw drivers and not drill motors.

For screw removal and insertion I use hands only. Twist type or if I have a bunch to do - speedhandle.. After maintaining airplanes for 35 years now, Ive seen too much damage with power tools. I use the feel of screws going in or out as an important aspect of evaluating condition. Too many new mechanics will just pull the trigger and power right through galled, crossthreaded or stripped hardware. Clutches help, but not much. JMHO.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 10-07-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
I missed the fact that we are discussing screw drivers and not drill motors.

For screw removal and insertion I use hands only. Twist type or if I have a bunch to do - speedhandle.. After maintaining airplanes for 35 years now, Ive seen too much damage with power tools. I use the feel of screws going in or out as an important aspect of evaluating condition. Too many new mechanics will just pull the trigger and power right through galled, crossthreaded or stripped hardware. Clutches help, but not much. JMHO.
I agree whole heartedly, however... part of the reason I love the snap on unit is the excellent torque setting ability, on the lowest setting it will not strip the head or drive a screw in with bad threads or cross threaded. It also allows you to really lean into a screw if it doesn't want to come out which equals less bunged up screw heads.

I can't imagine removing so many screws without it, I still have my speedhandle but can't remember the last time I used it!
I do still use a screwdriver for final torque check on important screws, just to be sure a tight nutplate wasn't fooling the torque setting.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154

Last edited by Walt : 10-07-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:43 AM

Default My favorite driver

+1 Dewalt DCF680

In its straight configuration - which I prefer anyway - I can feel the torque almost like a manual screwdriver. The clutch is fully adjustable.

The best thing I discovered is that it will fit inside the -10 wing and has plenty of torque to remove the tank attach bolts. Unless, of course, the previous kit owner had his pet gorilla torque them down.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:55 PM

Default MY favorite driver.....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol88 View Post
In its straight configuration - which I prefer anyway - I can feel the torque almost like a manual screwdriver. The clutch is fully adjustable. The best thing I discovered is that it will fit inside the -10 wing and has plenty of torque to remove the tank attach bolts. Unless, of course, the previous kit owner had his pet gorilla torque them down.
OK: I have a DeWalt someone gave me but it is difficult to find a new battery and the old one is on its last legs. I have had a Makita 3.0Ah 18V for years that was my go-to drill/driver. I was doing some work in the tail section of SuzieQ and needed something smaller that would fit in the access hole back there. Headed to Harbor Freight (I know, I know) looking for something smaller. Found a Hercules 2Ah 12V on sale that is MUCH lighter, smaller and fit nicely in the access hole. It has stood up well to my abuse. The clutch is very accurate and very adjustable. Doesn't strip out smaller screws. Two speeds like the Big Boys. I was drafted in to assembling bicycles and big plastic lawn chairs at my partner's business (Canadian Recycled Plastic) which have a LOT of screws. I bought a second battery so I wouldn't have to charge it at work and have never had to put the second battery on. Runs all day doing hard work. I LIKE it! Weight difference and size are a winner for me.
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Exempt but still a happy Subscriber! 2022-2023