What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left side throttle?

txaviator

Well Known Member
Maybe it's just me, but being right-handed and using a stick, feels completely different & and un-natural versus holding a yoke in say a C-172. In other words, I have no problems with the throttle being in the middle on the 172, and using my right hand to control it. However, on a stick plane (such as the -7 I am building), it just feels completely un-natural to use my left hand on the stick and right hand on the throttle. I am thinking the throttle will have to go over on the left. I have seen people build both ways, but the throttle sure seems like it should be in the middle of the panel. Is this something familiar to any of you? :confused:

In another example, although it is not 'real', I can fly my MS Sim all night using my right hand on the joystick. But when I try to fly using my left hand on the stick, I can barely even keep the thing going doing the center of the runway. :mad:

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

Gary, I totally agree. In fact I was just discussing this last night with a friend. In my -7, I plan on installing a left hand throttle. This way, it will be most like the Citabria I have been flying. When I have a stick in my right hand my brain will automatically expect a throttle on the left. When I have a yoke in my left hand, I will expect a throttle on the right. I think I can adjust nicely to the setup. You thinking the same?

:cool: CJ

I flew a Symphony for some of my private training. It had a stick and throttle in the middle. It took one flight to get used to it vs. the cessnas I flew before. And it didn't bother me at all flying with my left hand (as I always did with yokes, too)..

Some things you may want to consider is that if you have your hand on the stick, what can the other one do? If the stick is in the left hand, then you can reach most everything else in the cockpit with the right hand (for side-by-sides). If using your right hand, then it becomes kinda awkward to do other tasks with your free hand... And even moreso if you are right handed. I know that my left hand is pretty clumsy and useless compared to my right (especially for writing clearances, etc!). But flying with the left hand isn't a problem at all...

throttle position

i thought it was hard at first.but after a few hrs. it become natural. you will get used to it. then when you go back the other way it feels funny. so just fly everything from the right seat. no really once you get use to it, it won't matter where the throttle is. will make you a better pilot.

dan carley
rv-4 n2275s

I hear about some guys setting up their side-by's for right seat piloting. That is too "unconventional" for my tastes, though.

:rolleyes: CJ

I think most RV-6/7/9 builders ponder this question. As has been said previously, you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll adapt and it will become second nature. I was a very low-time pilot when my -6 was completed and I was troubled by the transition, but after a brief period of time, it felt natural.

Actually, I think you might be unhappy with the configuration if you moved the throttle over to the left side. There's just not that much room over there and it kind of cramps your seating. I know guys have successfully moved the throttle over there, but as a big guy, I had enough trouble shoe horning myself into the -6. For me, moving the throttle was not an option. In the end, I'm glad I didn't.

Also, I was initially concerned with vernier controls as opposed to levers. I kept having to think about which way to move the controls. That also went away pretty quickly.

Which hand is it?

First you are freaking yourself-out needlessly. :eek: Second I agree you will get used to it very fast. Just switching from a Yoke to a Stick takes some getting used to. A stick is way more natural and you will enjoy it. A RV is way more responsive and precise and you will love it. You fly with thumb and one finger a lot.

You know you can fly with your left hand. A PC simulator (game) is not an airplane, so don't worry. Try and get some "Stick Time" in a RV. If no RV available rent a Citabria, or a better bet would be "RV transition training" from the people offering this service.

It is a matter of confidence and comfort. It will come quickly. I have flown from both seats and with both hands. I must say my first adventure in the right seat was weird. Now I don't care which seat or hand I use to fly. My RV-4 had left throttle, right stick, my RV-7 throttle/stick is opposite (flown from left seat).

Enjoy Relax G :D

Yeah, think about being an airline pilot. You spend years in the right seat, pole in the right hand, thrust levers in the left. Then, suddenly you get to be a Captain! Guess what? You are now flying with your left hand and pushing thrust levers with the right. Know what!? After a week or so you never even think about it again. I feel like I have become more ambidextrous because of this transition. I now use my left hand as much as my right.

I mean, think about it. If you drive a stick shift car, which hand do you steer with?? The left, of course. The right is busy rowing the gearshift lever.

When I transitioned from a Boeing Captain back to a Citabria driver on retirement, I actually felt that I was losing some kind of flying artistry when I had to switch hands again. Maybe it's the left-brain, right-brain thing? Anyway, don't worry, both hands can do the job.

Cheers, Pete

Captain_John said:
I hear about some guys setting up their side-by's for right seat piloting. That is too "unconventional" for my tastes, though.

:rolleyes: CJ

I actually got my PPL in a Katana from the right seat and the planes were custom made with the panel flipped, too. Uncle Sam wanted us to get used to right stick/left throttles before starting T-37s. Studs still fly 37s from the left seat, but with left hand throttles. Then I went right to flying a left hand yoke/right hand power BE90. Go figure.

No Worries

This is a question that was pondered many hours in our hangar. I came from flying a Champ for some 300 hours and was very concerned about flying the RV6A that we were considering purchasing. Hopped in and fired it up taxied out and once you roll the power in you will be thinking about how quickly you got off the ground that you literally will forget the whole left hand right hand issue as it becomes a natural reflex response just like clutching a car and then clutching a motorcycle it just happens and feels totally natural. Then we bought an 8 and oh no I'm back in the Champ configuration!!! Once again it was not an issue.

Put the throttle controls in the center and enjoy your plane when you get it done!!! You are going to have lots of other more important issues to ponder to than to mess with redesigning and reinventing the wheel with this issue.

Well, maybe I will install the throttle in the center.

Tell me, when the stick is in the other hand, does it REALLY feel like someone else?

:D

hahaha, we needed some levity!

;) CJ

Just wondering if anyone had located their throttle quadrant on the far left for a more natural feel, or had a center and left setup to fly from either seat.

Yep

I did. Here's my setup currently:

20051102_panel.jpg

I'm happy with it. In a couple of months I'm going to upgrade to a DJM Mfg throttle quadrant for fun. I don't have any real problems with my current quadrant, but I think the DJM will be smoother and easier to deal with, and I may be able to get slightly more throw out of it. This current quadrant comes up a little short in the throw dept.

When my feet are on the pedals, my left knee juuuust contacts the current quadrant's adjuster knob. When I install the DJM I intend to refactor the angle slightly for this.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Love the panel set up. Hows the XM work with the intercom. Does it drop the XM audio during transmissions?

Why bother

Rather than go to the trouble of moving the throttles to the left, I have set up the cockpit so it can be flown from either seat with the throttles in the middle. Having swapped seats in Airbuses and Boeings over 30 years I don't think it is as big a deal as people think.
Anyway, so either I or my passenger can fly I have dual GRTs and the displays can be swapped left to right, putting the flight instruments in front of the operating pilot and the Engine instruments in front of the other.

Pete.
Australia.
http://imageshack.us/

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally...

Very nice console. care to share any details about its construction ? plans ?

All of my flying over the past few years has been in airplanes with left-side throttles, so I have had thoughts of doing the same in my RV. That being said, the one thing that keeps me from doing so is the need (with left-side throttles) to take your hand off the stick to tune the radios. There have been times when coming across the mountains here in windy/turbulent conditions, and not wanting to release the controls, I didn't like having to reach across my body with my left hand to change the freq or the like. Sure you can always switch hands but that somewhat defeats the purpose (IMHO). Anyway, not a big deal, just something to think about.

Brad, your point is the reason I want a center throttle quad also.

Also, I initially thought that flying the stick with my left hand would be akward. It was for about 1 minute. Now that I have some hours in a 6A, I don't even notice it anymore.

Left Seat PIC

Will Womack said:
Brad, your point is the reason I want a center throttle quad also.

Also, I initially thought that flying the stick with my left hand would be akward. It was for about 1 minute. Now that I have some hours in a 6A, I don't even notice it anymore.

I gotta totally agree Will. I have over 2000 hours of helicopter time with the cyclic stick in my right hand. I was really kind of freaked about flying with the left hand. I did my Transition Training with Mike Seager and found it was kind of a non factor. Everyone I have talked to about this says it only takes a few hours to really get comfortable. After that, it isn't a big deal at all.

I went with the throttle in the middle.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
Flying soon!!!

I was flying a 6 with my buddy last week. I had thought of left throttle for our 7 but after trying to simulate it, we came up against one thing which I didn't like. If you both are reasonable sized people, say with outdoor clothes on, when you fly with your right hand, your right elbow has a tendency to stick out - this then interferes with the guy next to you. I have had this on other airplanes too. Not a big deal but after a while it could be a factor.

Dan, don't bother, you fly in T shirts all year - I know, don't rub it in !

Left vs center throttles on 6s & 7s

I always thought it was silly to put a throttle quadrant on the left side of a -6 or -7. I was a little concerned about it before I flew my RV6, but it ended up not even being a consideration. If you think about it, it is exactly like flying a Cessna, Piper, Bonanza or Grumman. The fact that you have a stick in the left hand is just like using the yoke. Besides, you basically turn a two pilot airplane into a one pilot plane, unless you go to a LOT of trouble creating dual throttle/mixture/prop. Besides, it would probably be a drawback if you ever decide to sell.
In my opinion, many builders tend to overthink how to do things in the building process, and if you want to fly the plane you are building, you just add a lot more time to the process.

The one pilot airplane thing is a consideration that is my primary concern. The main want for a left side throttle, is going back and forth from work flying to the RV (whenever it gets done). It would just be nice to not have to transition back and forth, which wouldn't be hard, just awkward. Having the stick in the left hand all the time just equals comfort.

Left or right throttle

sig600 said:
The main want for a left side throttle, is going back and forth from work flying to the RV ...
What are you flying at work? If you're a right-seater, you'll eventually move to the left seat, right? :)

You can always fly the RV from the right seat, until you get bumped up at work.

I'm right handed, but I really find no difference flying with the stick in the right hand or the left.
Lately I've been trying to drive my car with just my right hand, just to see what it feels like,
and it is a bit strange. Perhaps it's because I've got a few more hours driving than flying. ;)

rv8ch said:
What are you flying at work? If you're a right-seater, you'll eventually move to the left seat, right? :)

You can always fly the RV from the right seat, until you get bumped up at work.

I'm right handed, but I really find no difference flying with the stick in the right hand or the left.
Lately I've been trying to drive my car with just my right hand, just to see what it feels like,
and it is a bit strange. Perhaps it's because I've got a few more hours driving than flying. ;)

I fly for the Navy... there is no seat to my right :)

Thats one of the reasons... also more panel space, it's a more "social" airplane for taking people with you, plus I've got about 100 hours in a -6 and just enjoyed the setup. But ya having the elbow/chart space for long solo flights is a nice change over the usual single seat setup.

Learn to fly with your left hand and you can use your other hand to access everything you will have in that extra room to your right, in the RV7. Your charts, passenger, radios (Which will probably be in a center stack) and anything else you keep over there. You'll be taking your hand off the stick all the time to do that and end up using your left hand on the stick anyway.
If you're good enough to be a Navy jet jockey, you can probably handle the "Transition" back and forth.

I know I can do it, flown yokes from left and right, sticks from left right... I just spend 99% of my time now in single seat jets... I'd just rather not have that first 5 minutes of awkwardness everytime I get in the RV. Was looking for someone that had done it.

It's all in the mind.

I used to train fellow pilots on Boeings..... and Fokkers etc.etc.
I trained the Captains whilst sitting in the right seat and FOs whilst sitting in the left.
I never noticed any difference from either seat in the end result of my flying. (The landings were fair average quality I admit, but consistent regardless of the seat they were performed from.)
If you think your right hand dexterity is signifitly better than your left, then have the throttles in the centre. Good engine control is just as important as good flight control. Particularly if you plan to do any formation work.

Now if you really want to improve your cockpit and you are like me (both your arms are the same length) then spend the effort instead, moving the throttle quadrant back to the line of the sticks. Believe me, the difference is delightful.
See my early post in this thread "Why Bother."

Pete.

on center consoles

One of the items I don't see mentioned on the center console installation is what must be done if you nee to work under the panel AFTER the plane is completed. Especially if you have a slider. If you are at all somewhat 'full figured' or even not, you won't like having to find a position on your back with a permanent mount center console. You will more than likely have to remove the console and throttle quadrant every time you need to work under the panel. Not fun.
I have found that the original setup with the throttle mounted under the dash and the flap switch right above it are the ideal setup. The right hand doesn't have to move at all during the landing proceedure.
Roger

Fuzz

G,day,
Yeh I am about halfway through doing the left throttle with centre throttle as well. i think that I have got it sussed out, I have only been working on it for 4 or 5 hours, I think it will work great and doesnt appear to hard. I know that its a lot of stuffing around, but I have flown 10 or 12 thousand hours in stick aircraft with left quadrant, and old habits are hard to kick. if you want send some details and I will give you the deal.

fodrv7 said:
It's all in the mind.

Yeah, so's handwriting and throwing a baseball... Most of us actually do fly better, more precisely, more finessed, in ONE configuration. The difference may be small, but there is a difference.

Build it however you want to.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

I frequently switch back and forth 'tween left and right (T-34 and Wichita spam) and have never needed even a second for reacquiring the "feel". I'm not ambidextrous or overly coordinated, just average. If I was building an 8, I'd go with left throttles but then again, I would also put all those other switchy and knobby things on the left. Since I'm building a 7A - throttles right so I don't have to switch hands on the stick to reach those things that seem to need reaching at inopportune and busy times (a better erganomic solution increases safety significantly).

Jekyll

As someone who writes with his left hand I have to ask how does the hand you write with figure into the decision of where to locate the engine/prop controls?

Do other lefties find any advantage to a left set up?

Scott

dicel87 said:
As someone who writes with his left hand I have to ask how does the hand you write with figure into the decision of where to locate the engine/prop controls?

If you like to take notes while you fly (copy clearances, ATIS, dead reckoning math, etc.) you want your writing hand to NOT be on the stick. For a lefty sitting in the left seat, that means right hand on the stick and left hand on the throttle.

dicel87 said:

Do other lefties find any advantage to a left set up?

Scott

I write & eat with my left hand, but prefer using sissors, tinsnips, pistols, and throwing with my right. I gave serious thought to adding a left hand throttle, since I have some Pitts time, but didn't.

Now, when I sit in my RV6A, the left hand feels natural, as it can rest on the armrest, and the right hand would seem a bit weird, especially for ease of radio knobs. etc. In fact, a left hand throttle might feel a bit cramped in the 6.

Left hand also feels natural in the Diamond DA40 which uses two sticks & center throttle quadrant. On the other hand, if I built a tandem such as the RV8, it would be right hand stick & left hand throttle quadrant. For desktop flight simulation, I also prefer a right hand joystick.

I set my 6A up to have the PIC in the right seat. Flight instruments on the right. Stick in right hand, throttle in left as it should be a la military aircraft. What difference does it make which side you sit on?

Buddies love it. They get to fly in the left seat all the time!

I'm building my -10 the same way.

I'm probably going to set up my -7 for Right Seat PIC most of the time. It looks like by the time I finish it, I'll be a CFI, so I'll be used to flying on the right side, and it will save me the trouble of setting up the dual-throttle setup I was originally going to do.

Right Seat RV-7

Does anyone know if someone has set-up their -7 or -6 to fly primarily from the right seat?

I am a helicopter pilot by trade and I firmly believe that God intended on pilots having the control stick in their right hand and the throttle in their left. I know I could just build a -8 or -4 but I think the SBS would be more agreeable to my wife.

I would like to know anyone's thoughts on the pros and cons of a right hand set-up.

;)

How do,

Dan Checkoway has a left throttle in his 7 - flies from left seat.

Ken Krueger use to have a RV-6 that was instrumented to be flown primarily from the right seat.

It can be done. Your plane / your choice :)

Best,
D

The February VAF calendar (see main page, down on the left) has a beautiful RV-7A that's set up for PIC on right. I'm building my PIC seat on the left but I don't think you should have any problems. I'm building a tip-up and the only consideration I can think of that could potentially be a problem is the latch handle that usually goes on the left side of the aircraft. The parts are pretty simple here and you should just be able to flip the parts upside down and mount them on the other side. Can't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible. Also, the canopy latch torque tube comes completely symmetrical so that shouldn't be an issue either. I think it's very doable.

I have a friend who first built a Pitts, then an RV-4 then an RV-6. He put all the primary instruments in the RV-6 on the right and flies right seat. Good luck! Rosie

I wouldn't worry about it either way. ALL of my taildragger time before my RV was in Citabrias, Pipers, Champs and Decathlons. Moving to the side by sides whether it be right or left is different...not bad, just different.

The difficult thing to get used to is the picture out front, NOT the controls. You'll find that your body adjusts to flying left stick in about 5 seconds...even though sitting playing around you swear you'll hate it, I can tell you right when you first take off it'll be weird for a second or two, but that goes away almost instantly. I think the left throttles are a waste of time, but that's just me (not knocking the guys who've done it, Dan has a nice setup...but it's not for me).

I routinely jump back and forth between a Champ and my RV6 and have no issues....and lord knows I'm FAR from the most co-ordinated person in the world. If I can do it anyone can!

Cheers,
Stein.

I am planning on building interchangable instrument panel cutouts so I can fly from either seat. I plan on flying from the right most of the time, but will setup for the left for RESALE VALUE :).

One thing to consider. Most instruments are optimized to be viewed and manipulated either straight on or off to the right. It's not a big difference, but fly as a passenger in a Cessna and try to manipulate avionics with your left hand. It's a pain in the butt for some reason. Sometimes there are knobs in the way of your viewing...other times, it's just...well....not right, for whatever reason.

Just something else to consider.

The left seat transition is a non event

Twice around the patch (10 minutes) and you will wonder what the big deal was.

If you have to have it, Dan C's site has some good detail but be warned, the mod is gonna take longer than ten minutes.

PIC, right seat

The special "falcon" version of the Diamond aircraft that the Air Force Academy use for flight training are set up for PIC in the right seat. They do it because most of them will transition to fighters.

I'm considering the setup for my RV7.

Jeff

Back