What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crabs on a Plane/Halfmoon Bay Seafood

Frankster13

I had a fun trip to Halfmoon Bay on the coast near San Francisco during crab season. The commercial fisherman are now legally authorized to sell their catch right off the boat. My girlfriend and I bought a couple of live Dungeness crabs. Bring a cooler or some such. We took them for a ride in my RV-14 back home and boiled them up. Delicious and a fun way to get a seafood dinner. Great seafood, restaurants, hotels in walking distance.
Note: Be advised the fog on the coast can move in quick. Had to file IFR to get out.

I do this often, for crab, fresh fish, etc... right off the boats or from the fish market at the corner of the restaurants nearest the harbor. Great way to go seafood shopping, beautiful views there and back and a darn great reason to fly!

I often do this flying over to Gold Beach. Today would have been a perfect day to do it, except my cowl modification project is still in process.

Easy access

Great parking on the south end with quick access through a gate. A nice, short stroll, to the docks. Also, if you opt for a great breakfast or lunch spot, hit the Pilot Light restaurant, park right out front - mid field.

It is a great destination to fly by my house, on the coast, and return via GG bridge to Gnoss.

Back