What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL Fuel Flow to Garmin Interface

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I recently installed a MGL Vega FF-4 fuel flow gauge in my rv8. It has an RS232 input to bring in data to perform a range calculation, however apparently it only accepts NMEA format. My Garmin 530 will not output an NMEA format. Has anyone else run into this, and come up with a workaround?

Seems kind of weird they would build an instrument with functionality that doesn't talk to the most popular GPS navigator out there.

DEM

NEMA is a standard

Actually the NEMA format has been the standard for some 30 years, what's really weird is that Garmin doesn't suport it anymore? But you can probably find an economical GPS system for under $50 complete that will supply a NEMA GPS RS232 data stream. Garmin is likely just trying to limit its compatibility with the non Garmin avionics world to force expanded sales.

IIRC The Garmin 530 was introduced in ~2000.

I am quite surprised that MGL would introduce something that didn't interface with perhaps THE most popular line of Aircraft navigation systems (GNS4xx, GNS5xx).

That said, you can buy a standalone GPS unit that spits out NMEA-0183 from Amazon for about $68.

B

Back