What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynafocal Type I Engine Mount

330Jock

Well Known Member
Van's is closed today. Could someone from the brain trust give me an answer about my engine mount. I received a Dynafocal 1 engine mount in my finish kit. Will that fit both the IO-360 as well as the IO-320 engines?
Thanks and Happy New Year!

Not a direct answer to your question, but if you are going to put a -320 and a light prop on your plane, Vans sells a longer mount that places the engine farther out. I suspect you will have aft CG issues using the -360 mount in that instance.

I’m not sure of the differences between Dynafocal 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Easy way to check which mounting angle you need is to look at the back of the engine mounting surface. A dynafocal 1 has a flat 30 degree surface for the engine mounts reference to the crank center line. The dynafocal 2 has a milled socket for the mounting of the engine mounts at 18 degrees to the crank centerline.

Engine mount

I have the standard large cup dynafocal engine mount Van's supplied and my XIO-360-M1B purchased through Van's fitted perfectly.

0 320

The type 2 engines were used almost entirely on Piper Twin Commanche.
I0 320 B or C series. Wing Derringer also but only a few of those built. The Type II mount was used because of the extended hub constant speed props used on the above airplanes.

Back