What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin VIRB

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
Any insight on which VIRB to buy for my -10?

Looking for some real world advice from those that have them...

Thanks!

I have the VIRB Ultra 30. Works great. Syncs with the G3X for all aviation data and also brings audio in from my GMA 245 which I like for having all COM and intercom audio recording.

I’d buy it again.

Would you mind sharing how and where you're mounting them? I've got an RV-8 and have been taking videos forward & down to the right and left with my cellphone till now. I'd like to move to a better solution than my cellphone.

I'm suspecting I may need two cameras. I have one as-yet-unused Garmin VIRB. I'm hesitant to put a camera outside due to the 200+ mph airspeed. Not seeing many posts here addressing this.

Am just starting to research this in earnest.

Thank you kindly in advance for any and all suggestions.

Sometimes I mount mine on the dash so I get a mostly outside view. Sometimes I mount near the centerline, behind the pilots, about head high. (I have a shelf over the baggage compartment and mount the camera about a foot above that.) That's not nearly as satisfactory. I don't have a good solution for shooting the screen, as my camera mount bounces a bit in turbulence. Readable, but clunks.

I have had the ultra 30 for awhile, it’s a great camera. Mine is mounted on the overhead console in my RV-10, slightly forward of the front seat occupants.

My only gripe is that that audio input and the power are on the same connector, which presents as an either or situation.

Initially there was a third party vendor that had a cable that facilities both. My cable quick working after a couple months. The vendor pulled it off the market.

Is anyone aware of a solution that has solved this situation? I would like to have audio in and not to have to deal with batteries.

Last edited:
Would you mind sharing how and where you're mounting them? I've got an RV-8 and have been taking videos forward & down to the right and left with my cellphone till now. I'd like to move to a better solution than my cellphone.

I'm suspecting I may need two cameras. I have one as-yet-unused Garmin VIRB. I'm hesitant to put a camera outside due to the 200+ mph airspeed. Not seeing many posts here addressing this.

Am just starting to research this in earnest.

Thank you kindly in advance for any and all suggestions.

When I'm making vids, I use a VIRB Ultra 30 mounted inside and a GoPro Hero9 outside. Here are the mounts:

i-S5P9jvk-XL.jpg

i-Tqf5LFB-M.jpg

i-3mZBXtB-XL.jpg

The inside mount is from Nflightcam, and the tiedown mount is from MyPilotPro. Both are VERY highly recommended.

Garmin VIRB Ultra 30

Tom,

Go with the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30, sent you a PM. The VIRB Ultra 30 can Bluetooth to audio panels and Garmin has also come out with the VIRB 360 which does the same. These are pretty pricey though and not sure you would get the full use of his camera inside the cabin of the -10. The 360 camera would work great in a bubble canopy but for the -10 I think the VIRB Ultra -30 would be a better fit. You can still find them and they work well with Bluetooth audio panels. I always had issues with the Go Pro battery life and cameras freezing up in flight.

Last edited:
Garmin Virb Ultra 30

You can still find Garmin Virb Ultra 30s new and used on both Amazon & EBay.

haven't been...

Haven't been able to locate a new one...not really interested in taking a chance on a discontinued, used product...

Tom, I made this little bracket for my VIRB. I mounted it to the roll bar on my 8 with velcro. Sort of crude but it works. It would be nice to have a ball or something on it so I could turn it left or right. I made a little base to stick anywhere on the glare shield when I want to point it down and to one side, but that takes extra time to switch mounts. Sorry for the tipped over pic. I tried for about an hour and a half to fix it. I'm not defeated, just regrouping.

Attachments

• 20210516_130900[1].jpg
    20210516_130900[1].jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210516_131857.jpg
    20210516_131857.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 151
Garmin Virb Ultra 30 stopped connecting

For over a year my Garmin Ultra 30 worked great with the G3X control interface and as of a week ago can not synch. I've tried the usual, update the software, turn on and off the BT, etc. It goes into searching from the G3X screen and never finds it. I was able to find a new one for the 10 build but it's not with me in the south. By the way at one time sold a power mount for it but if you don't mind drilling and milling a square hole in the case you can use the USB to provide power. Any insights out there?

For over a year my Garmin Ultra 30 worked great with the G3X control interface and as of a week ago can not synch. I've tried the usual, update the software, turn on and off the BT, etc. It goes into searching from the G3X screen and never finds it. I was able to find a new one for the 10 build but it's not with me in the south. By the way at one time sold a power mount for it but if you don't mind drilling and milling a square hole in the case you can use the USB to provide power. Any insights out there?

Did you verify that the Remote control feature was still turned on at the Virb camera? (Menu, Wireless, Remote) Additionally, make sure the "Virb Type" on the Remote setup page is set to "Main Virb".

The GDU 4XX and Virb Ultra 30 use an Ant+ wireless interface for remote control, not Bluetooth.

The Virb Ultra 30 Bluetooth interface is used for audio (not control). For example, in my aircraft the Virb Ultra 30 records all intercom and other audio (e.g. music and radio transmissions) using a Bluetooth audio connection between the GMA 245 audio panel and the Virb camera.

You might try turning Remote control off at the Virb camera, bring up the Virb control page on the GDU 4XX, then turn Remote control back on at the Virb camera (while the GDU 4XX is searching) and see if the GDU 4XX automatically re-connects, or connects when you add a new Virb connection.

Steve

Virb issues

Great suggestions and I'll try. I was able to get the voice command working so at least I can yell at the camera (Before starting the engine) to start the video.

Thanks again !!!!

VIRB to Audio Panel

“The Virb Ultra 30 Bluetooth interface is used for audio (not control). For example, in my aircraft the Virb Ultra 30 records all intercom and other audio (e.g. music and radio transmissions) using a Bluetooth audio connection between the GMA 245 audio panel and the Virb camera.”

I’ve tried connecting on my 245R and it will not connect. I’ve checked the Audio Panel controls and the Bluetooth settings. The VIRB finds the GDU4XX but now the audio panel.

Any help ?

I’ve tried connecting on my 245R and it will not connect. I’ve checked the Audio Panel controls and the Bluetooth settings. The VIRB finds the GDU4XX but not the audio panel. Any help ?

Since the Virb is not finding the GMA 245, did you try putting the GMA 245 into pairing mode first, then within 2 minutes, find the GMA 245 and establish the Bluetooth pairing using the Virb?

Steve

Pairing priority

What finally worked was what you described. The audio panel wanted to pair with my phone and even though I disconnected it would not pair with the VIRB. I finally turned off my phone then went to pairing mode then turned on the VIRB and paired with it. I’m assuming bringing in music via my phone through the audio panel and Bluetooth if to the VIRB will not work since the audio panel has only one Bluetooth input.

Thanks for the help, really like the VIRB. To bad Garmin discontinued it.

Back