What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X & GTN625 whats needed for a power on

Generally speaking, operating receivers without an antenna will not harm anything. But those pins are close together - proceed with caution.

Generally speaking, operating receivers without an antenna will not harm anything. But those pins are close together - proceed with caution.

... just don't transmit, that energy has to go somewhere ... but no expert, I don't even play one on TV ;)

I just wired up a grounding block, secured any loose wires, clear the area of problems (kids, cats, etc) and turned applied 12v to the system.

:)

Undecided about transponder, I only need mode S for now but thinking about going ADS-B anyway from start.

g.

Then make sure you install a wire, now, from a RS-232 out port on the 625, for later use to provide gps data to a transponder (set format to ADSB+). I?m using a Trig TT-22 for mode S-ES output, works fine.

You sure you want to do this? My understanding is that the clock starts on the warranty when you register the units. I was advised to do so when I got the system up and running. Can ask the G3Xpert.

MTCW
Don

Hi,

Sitting with some really cool (and expensive) toys in front of me. :)
It is a G3X touch (GDU470) and a GTN625. :D

I would like to register my products on flygarmin.com, to do that you need your system ID and to get your system ID you need to power up the units.

Can you just provide power (with a fuse) to the appropriate pins or do you need to have any antennas or other things connected for a quick power up with the intention to find out the system IDs, or does the boxes get damaged in any way by doing so?

I have searched on flygarmin and the garmin site, checked the G3X touch manual and a GTN installation manual I found by searching on the web. I have also searched this forum. I cannot find any answer so I guess this would be of public interest :)

Back