What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel sumps

Sump Drains

Cole,

Thinking that you meant the sump drains rather than the sumps themselves.
Buy them from Van's; then there's no question which ones to order.
Fuel tank quickdrain CAV-110
Also consider buying some O-Rings so you can refurbish the quick drains.
O-RING VITON DRAIN CAV-110 O-RING

FYI - Stainless

CAV 110(S) available --- does away with the rusty appearance.

Ron

If you need it with any amount of urgency I would get it from Spruce, Van's is very very slow right now due to backlogs. I ordered one aileron bracket almost 2 weeks ago and my card hasn't even been charged yet.

Thanks all, I'm planning to swap them out when I redo the W&B after my prop change in a week or so. Sounds like ACS is the way to go.

If you need it with any amount of urgency I would get it from Spruce, Van's is very very slow right now due to backlogs. I ordered one aileron bracket almost 2 weeks ago and my card hasn't even been charged yet.

If you need one faster I may have some new ones to sell. Which part# do you need?

Save the old ones, clean them up and put in new O-rings and keep them around as spares.. maybe even keep one in the plane for the time when you are away from home and need to swap one out..

Thanks all, I'm planning to swap them out when I redo the W&B after my prop change in a week or so. Sounds like ACS is the way to go.

I had a CAV-110 sump drain on my left wing that was dripping a little. Just this afternoon I pulled the sump drains on both wings and drained the tanks, then the gascolator...going to use the opportunity to do a new weight/balance tomorrow while they're empty. Then I'm going to refill each tank two gallons at a time and calibrate the gauges :( .

If you need one faster I may have some new ones to sell. Which part# do you need?

Thanks for the offer Larry! I expected Van's to be slow, I don't think I'll be able to get to it in the next couple of weeks anyways.

Save the old ones, clean them up and put in new O-rings and keep them around as spares.. maybe even keep one in the plane for the time when you are away from home and need to swap one out..

This! I purchased a couple of o-rings and an extra drain. When one is leaking it's just a matter of quick swapping them. You only loose a couple ounces of fuel.

+1 for the new stainless option. The cad plated ones will look like doo-doo in a couple years. I ordered two last month, both were back-ordered. One came in a couple weeks after and still waiting for the second one; they must be popular.

For your W&B, wouldn’t it be more accurate to empty the tanks via the main fuel line at the carb or fuel injection instead of the tank sumps? You want your unusable fuel to still be in the plane for W&B calculations, right? Draining the tanks from the sump may still have some unusable fuel somewhere, making your calculations a little off. Draining from the main fuel line also allows for you to actually measure how much usable fuel you can put back in.

Hey Jereme- did you have to slot one of your brackets during Phase 1?

For your W&B, wouldn’t it be more accurate to empty the tanks via the main fuel line at the carb or fuel injection instead of the tank sumps? You want your unusable fuel to still be in the plane for W&B calculations, right? Draining the tanks from the sump may still have some unusable fuel somewhere, making your calculations a little off. Draining from the main fuel line also allows for you to actually measure how much usable fuel you can put back in.

That would be a question for someone more knowledgeable than me, this will be my first go at it. I'd guess the amount of usable fuel you have left in the system is negligible but someone else can answer that better.

Ideally yes. However, on my -7A the unusable was so little that it wouldn't really matter much. I'm talking a small handful of ounces. Other aircraft/models may vary though.

Hey Jereme- did you have to slot one of your brackets during Phase 1?

I haven't slotted one yet but I know I will to fix the heavy wing. I don't want to slot it though until I get my new one.

Back