What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weather interference

Flying Canada, eh!

Great post, eh! Your flight may not have gone the way you wanted it to, but it went exactly how I wanted it to: I just sat and watched! I noticed several things:

1) Great glacial geology!! Amazing what thick moving ice can do! And mirror lakes! Beauty!

2) You do what I also do and call out, on my initial contact, when to expect to see me over the field. I wish EVERYONE would do that. If I am in the Cub, I call 5 miles out (having monitored at 10 miles out) that I will be there in about 5 minutes. In SuzieQ: I call about 10 miles out and will be there in about 5 minutes. That way anyone listening will know when to watch for me. Problem is, when one hears "Experimental 35 Echo", one has no idea if its a Zenair, Glasair, Blowair. Is it going 75 or 175? Be there in 5 minutes......:)

3) Being left-handed must be helpful flying with your left hand. I was blessed with being ambidextrous and can do either but, being born and raised on tandem, prefer left throttle, right stick. I've seen some side-by-sides with the PIC in the right seat.

4) GO LEAFS! Nice hat!

3) Being left-handed must be helpful flying with your left hand. I was blessed with being ambidextrous and can do either but, being born and raised on tandem, prefer left throttle, right stick. I've seen some side-by-sides with the PIC in the right seat.
!
As a cfi, I had to learn to fly from either seat. I am very much right-handed. Curiously, manipulating the yoke or stick with either hand seemed easy. It was the other hand - on the throttle, or, especially, manual trim - where using my left hand just doesn’t seem quite as natural as the right hand. And of course, copying clearances while flying right seat is an adventure. I can’t write at all with my left hand.

Flying with either hand.....

As a cfi, I had to learn to fly from either seat. I am very much right-handed. Curiously, manipulating the yoke or stick with either hand seemed easy. It was the other hand - on the throttle, or, especially, manual trim - where using my left hand just doesn’t seem quite as natural as the right hand. And of course, copying clearances while flying right seat is an adventure. I can’t write at all with my left hand.

I have known people who were severely right or left handed and the other hand was strictly for decoration and to hand the dominant hand things to do! :D I thought everyone was ambidextrous when I was younger. I inherited that (and other really cool things!) from my Dad. I can write with my left hand if I have to but it ain't pretty! My knee board rides on my left leg and brief notes are easier with my left. Oddly enough, I find flying a yoke with my left hand is easier than my right. But prefer the stick in my right hand. It's handy being able to do either. If I'm hammering, sometimes I have to pause and see which hand the hammer is in as I am more accurate with my right.....:p

Back