What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Motor part #

Larco

Well Known Member
Looking into replacing the flap motor RV7. Cannot find the replacement on Vans. I know that it must be there, any help finding it?

I ordered a new flap motor from Usher Precision Manufacturing (see attached) this past May. The person I spoke to only needed to know which RV Model I had, didn't ask me for a part number. Received and installed no problem. Price with shipping was $135.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 6.44.47 PM.png

Same here

Very happy with the service and pricing from Usher on my replacement flap motor. I discovered that while it's relatively easy to source the motor itself at even lower cost, Usher installs the specialized fitting(s)? we need. They seem to have one or two people who know about these motors and handle calls from us nutcase RVers. I think we amuse them. :)

Meanwhile, in the unlikely event any of us needs an additional reason to fly RVs, try pricing a replacement flap motor for a Cessna 172!!

I ordered a new flap motor from Usher Precision Manufacturing (see attached) this past May. The person I spoke to only needed to know which RV Model I had, didn't ask me for a part number. Received and installed no problem. Price with shipping was $135.

View attachment 4637

Last edited:
The Plot thickens ....

Just called Usher. Was advised they no longer sell direct and was told to contact Aircraft Spruce. Called ACS, was told they don’t have Usher as a supplier and their only flap motors were not RV specific. And sold for $239 & $279. Anyone know more than this ???

Our flap motor was intermittent. We cleaned it but thought it prudent to have a new one on the shelf. Called Usher and they said the same thing. We called Vans and they said call Usher. Worked with Van’s and they ordered directly from Usher then sent it to us. We looked at just buying a new Pittman motor but the trick is pressing the worm gear onto the shaft without damaging The motor. Cleaning the grease out of the old one was not too bad a task.

Just wondering if there was any definitive conclusion on where owners are supposed to go to purchase replacement flap motors.

Hi Dave, it looks like Usher has changed their program so are still looking at options for replacement. Since I am just helping out it seemed easier to recommended either Direct Van's or PHAviation. Certainly appreciate everyone's input. BTW I have used PHAviation units twice to replace the original style and like the them.

Just went to look for the PH flap motor.
Use this : https://www.phaviation.com. Currently $299

The PHAviation motor looks nice. Is it a direct replacement for the stock motor? And is the 11.5” stroke length the same as stock? Sorry, just had my panels out for inspection and don’t want to pull the panels again for measuring.

Stock one is working fine, but like to be mentally prepared for possible failures.

The PHAviation motor looks nice. Is it a direct replacement for the stock motor? And is the 11.5” stroke length the same as stock? Sorry, just had my panels out for inspection and don’t want to pull the panels again for measuring.

Stock one is working fine, but like to be mentally prepared for possible failures.

The installation instructions note that it is NOT a direct replacement and that a small amount of minor modifications are needed.

Chris

Back