What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to register Plane?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
While trying to set up my echo ADSB the app asked for my N number and other registration info. This brought up the question as to when and how to register the plane? I plan to have it ready to fly late this year or early next. Is it too early to register now? Is there a guide to the steps needed?

Thanks in advance.
John

You will need the Bill of Sale from Vans, along with couple other forms.

EAA sells a fairly nice packet that will walk you thru the process. Once you register the plane, only you can ever be the builder at that point. Also the state tax authorities will be notified and possibly be asking for tax money or proof you paid taxes on the kit.

While trying to set up my echo ADSB the app asked for my N number and other registration info. This brought up the question as to when and how to register the plane? I plan to have it ready to fly late this year or early next. Is it too early to register now? Is there a guide to the steps needed?

Thanks in advance.
John

You might want to consider the tax ramifications in your state. If you register it, you may have to pay state tax on it now until it is finished (or at least the sales tax based on the worth). Of course it isn't worth as much now probably.

I successfully argued with the state of VA that once my plane flew I would be happy to pay tax on it. About 5 years later, they stopped asking and told me to pay the tax on the value they set themselves. They set it so low ($15k) that I gladly paid the tax on that amount year after year... :)

It can take a month or two to get it registered. I was lucky and it was done exactly 1 week after I mailed it. I was very impressed. But expect a month or two.

I second the EAA kit, very nicely put together with step by step instructions. Don't use whiteout on the form! I had one returned, I should have known better. FAA misspelled my name as owner so had to email them to fix it. They were super responsive and very quick to correct it, I was pleasantly surprised!

I agree with doing it ahead of time. I think the FAA asks for about 90 days, but there's no reason you can't do it 6 months ahead if you already have the paperwork you need from Van's. For that matter, you could do it anytime during construction once you have your bill of sale; the only reason not to do it early is in the event you don't finish the kit, you'll end up with a registered set of parts...

I sent in my registration paperwork on my last build about about 6 months before I thought I would be ready for my AWC inspection and that worked out well. I'd do it again that way with one thing less on the task list to deal with as you're preparing to go flying.

You will need the Bill of Sale from Vans, along with couple other forms.

EAA sells a fairly nice packet that will walk you thru the process. Once you register the plane, only you can ever be the builder at that point. Also the state tax authorities will be notified and possibly be asking for tax money or proof you paid taxes on the kit.

Can you get a bill of sale before you've bought all the kits?

Jerre

The main criteria for timing of registration is getting your airworthiness certificate: you must have aircraft registered before this. I'd check with FAA on lead times to be sure you have it in hand in time for your inspection. Mine took very little time - a couple of weeks IIRC.

Back