What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AVEO ZipTips

I wouldn't bother...

A friend recently got a pair from Germany, over $2,000 and when they arrived, the fit was terrible. Had to get a pro body shop to finish the fitting.

Unless they have changed in the last 6 months, stick with Vans and save some money - lots of money :D

I have a set for the 10 and are very happy with them. The gelcoat was far better than Van's and the light modules are awesome. They are pricey, so it's an idividual choice. Give Damien a call at Aveo. They have an add here on VAF. Or just google Aveo in Florida.

Also very pleased with mine on the -7. Fit and finish was very good and I was able to use Vans supplied reinforcing rib for the inboard side opposite the aileron. I wired the landing and taxi lights together to one switch, and they have a built in wig/wag controller. Pilots and controllers have remarked about the intensity of the lights. Additionally the built in module at the rear of the tips (with separate white nav/strobe light) eliminates the need to wire a tail nav/strobe.
Note: These tips were delivered 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Ive seen the ones on jpm757's -7 and they look great. Sounds expensive at first glance, but then realize you subtract the value of vans tips, lenses, whatever lighting system you buy, tail light, then the labor and it quickly becomes more reasonable...

I have a pair on my RV8... fit perfectly, no filler required at all. I am impressed by the build quality.
I dealt with the factory directly... contact is [email protected]. They were very helpful in supplying paperwork and information to assist getting them approved for fitting in the UK.
Not convinced its more expensive than buying all the individual bits and fitting them into the Vans tips. They look stunning when fitted, and don't look like someone has taken a chainsaw to the wingtip like the standard Vans ones.
Highly recommended.

Just got my Zip Tips via FedEx. I have not held them up to the wing to see how they fit but the quality by looking exceeds my expectations. At this point the only complaint I have is that for nearly $3k you would have thought they would have included the connectors that you will need to wire them. These connectors don't appear to be readily available and certainly not from any aircraft suppliers. Cant wait to light them up.

I'm modifying mine at the moment but i don't think its any more work than would be needed on the vans tips. Damien in Florida was more than helpful in arranging things too.

Mine came with the connectors though the bare minimum and so Im still trying to source an extra couple of pins for the strobe sync cable and having trouble.

One bugbear was cutting the double layer fibreglass at the front end which allowed dust into the lens area and so far haven't been able to blow it all out.

lights look good and the gelcoat is better finished than vans - visually - will be better determined when I start to prepare for painting

As someone else said if you drop out the relevant bits from vans and the cost of comparable lights there isn't so much difference overall and having the rear lights incorporated avoided another cable down the tunnel.

jlbpropilot, trying to reply to your PM. I've tried PM (your mailbox is full) and email (email bounced). Hopefully you are monitoring this thread.

Just got my Zip Tips via FedEx. I have not held them up to the wing to see how they fit but the quality by looking exceeds my expectations. At this point the only complaint I have is that for nearly $3k you would have thought they would have included the connectors that you will need to wire them. These connectors don't appear to be readily available and certainly not from any aircraft suppliers. Cant wait to light them up.

We put them on our RV-10 and they're great. And they did include the connectors.

When I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago, Damien at Aveo-Florida had info on how one installer was modifying the carbon fiber tips (by moving part of the electronics into the wing, as I recall) to make room for the Hotel Whiskey tanks. That was for the 6-7-8 setup, not sure it would be needed or do-able for the 10, but I bet Damien knows.

Does anyone know if ordering the standard wing kit without the wingtips is an option and does it save money? I've decided to go with the Aveo tips so I won't need the original tips.
It might be too late anyway to amend the order.

Hey Chris,

I?m not sure how the ordering process is on the 10 but I?m installing the zip-tips on my -7 build and I was able to delete the standard tips and save some money.

Mark

Hey Chris,

I’m not sure how the ordering process is on the 10 but I’m installing the zip-tips on my -7 build and I was able to delete the standard tips and save some money.

Mark

What kind of credit do they give you for deleting the wingtips?

EDIT:

I found the wingtips for the RV10 in the webstore for $247.00 each and other models are close to that price. So I assume the delete gets you somewhere near $500 credit? So the zip tips are an approximate $2500 premium over standard but they include the lights. Is this somewhere close to accurate?

Why the heck do they not post ziptip pricing on the website?

Last edited:
What kind of credit do they give you for deleting the wingtips?

EDIT:

I found the wingtips for the RV10 in the webstore for $247.00 each and other models are close to that price. So I assume the delete gets you somewhere near $500 credit? So the zip tips are an approximate $2500 premium over standard but they include the lights. Is this somewhere close to accurate?

Why the heck do they not post ziptip pricing on the website?

To be honest, I don?t remember the credit amount, but the cost of the tips plus the cost of the lights, it was just about a wash when comparing everything needed with the standard tips VS the zip/tips.

Mark

Thanks guys, yes I agree Mark plus I also think it looks great without the leading edge lights. (My personal view).

Does anyone know if ordering the standard wing kit without the wingtips is an option and does it save money? I've decided to go with the Aveo tips so I won't need the original tips.
It might be too late anyway to amend the order.

During your order, just request to delete the tips and the lens from your order and they will credit you the amount. I did this with my RV8 wing kit order in Feb which arrived three weeks ago. I forgot to delete the lens, so now I have an extra part I will gift to my buddy for his RV7A if his lens ever foggy over or cracks. FYI if you deviate from the standard order, Vans will send you a bunch of paperwork acknowledging that you are deviating from the normal path, so be prepared for that. It?s nothing scary, just sign scan and email back.

I called Damien in Florida last week and I?m on the list for a pair of the Zip Tip 3s when they are ready. Haven?t fully decided if I want the 3s or the 2s though, but I?m not really in a hurry. I plan to stop by their booth at AirVenture this year too.

I called Damien in Florida last week and I?m on the list for a pair of the Zip Tip 3s when they are ready. Haven?t fully decided if I want the 3s or the 2s though, but I?m not really in a hurry. I plan to stop by their booth at AirVenture this year too.

What is the difference between the 2 and 3? There doesn?t seem to be any info on different versions on Aveo?s web site.

Variant

From my understanding speaking with Damien about a month ago, the type 2 is a mil spec version of the type 1 and needed if you have the big garmin 750/650. Can't remember about the other Garmin radio's.

The type 3 is a new design with single LED's in place of the multiples for each section and is brighter apparently.

What is the difference between the 2 and 3? There doesn?t seem to be any info on different versions on Aveo?s web site.

Damien Esmond in Florida ([email protected]) can give you the specifics, but essentially they redesigned the light module. Instead of the hexagonal lights, the went with five "cans" that hold the LEDs. Each can has a heat sink and there's a new type of cooling unit that's supposed to last a really long time. Also the taxi light is individually adjustable to account for taildragger installs. You can angle the taxi light downward to actually light the taxiway. They're also toying with the idea of being able to replace one can in each wingtip with a forward-looking camera and using software to stitch the two feeds together into a single flight video. This would be really cool for flight schools, as well as those of us who like to make flying videos.

I'm still waiting on mine, but they had a pair at AirVenture 2019 that I checked out and they look really cool. I just checked my camera and I can't believe I didn't get any pictures of them while I was there! When mine arrive I'll try to remember to get some pictures and post them here.

Static with the Zip Tips

I installed the the Zip Tip 1 and had static interference with both Garmin remote GTR-20 radios when the strobe and landing lights are on. The radios pick up a receive signal (Rx) when the lights are on. Damien said there were issues with the Garmin radios with the Zip Tip 1 module. He sent me the apparently improved and more shielded robust Zip Tip 2 light modules which I just finished installing. I'm still having the same issues with the static. I used shielded wiring to the specs on the drawings. I used a junction box at the wing root to connect the wires from a Aerotronics panel to the wing wire harness to the zips. Any ideas? 29hrs in a RV-7 Phase 1 testing.

I installed the the Zip Tip 1 and had static interference with both Garmin remote GTR-20 radios when the strobe and landing lights are on. The radios pick up a receive signal (Rx) when the lights are on. Damien said there were issues with the Garmin radios with the Zip Tip 1 module. He sent me the apparently improved and more shielded robust Zip Tip 2 light modules which I just finished installing. I'm still having the same issues with the static. I used shielded wiring to the specs on the drawings. I used a junction box at the wing root to connect the wires from a Aerotronics panel to the wing wire harness to the zips. Any ideas? 29hrs in a RV-7 Phase 1 testing.

Just the obvious question - are all grounds coming back to a common grounding point?

Just the obvious question - are all grounds coming back to a common grounding point?

Yes I'm pretty sure. Next step is pulling the floor boards and checking to see if indeed the terminal box is grounded and installing a capacitive adapters to the strobe light and the landing light causing all the static.

I getting the same static with the version 1s and Avidyne 540 now on my first flight. Only on the pilot headset and mic jack though. I can isolate it through the audio panel. Everything is grounded back to a central spot. Weird. I’ll call Damien Monday, but any other ideas?

I lived with clicks from the conventional strobe pack. Tried everything to fix it even toroids randomly placed on wires. Eventually I gave up. Lived with it for a couple of years. Limited my use of strobes.

Later while rewiring for adsb, I had a DB connector on my SkyView EMS module not have the tiny screws on the connector snugged down. Amazingly snugging them down fixed the clicks from the strobes!

I was floored. It was a grounding issue all along. Just not where you would have expected it.

Back