What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sniffle Valve Questions

macrafic

Well Known Member
I have a Lycoming IO-360 w/horizontal sump and fixed pitch. I live in Minnesota, but we plan on doing a lot of flying around the country, including altitudes and warm weather.

Q1. Anybody have a clue as to why my FW kit would ship with a sniffle hose, but no sniffle valve? Seems a bit strange to me.

Q2. From other posts on this site, it seems to be the general opinion (but not consensus) that a sniffle valve should be installed. The fact that one was NOT included in my FW kit has me wondering, however. Could I get a few comments from those with engine expertise out there?

Sniffle Valve

I have a Lycoming IO-360 w/horizontal sump and fixed pitch. I live in Minnesota, but we plan on doing a lot of flying around the country, including altitudes and warm weather.

Q1. Anybody have a clue as to why my FW kit would ship with a sniffle hose, but no sniffle valve? Seems a bit strange to me.

Q2. From other posts on this site, it seems to be the general opinion (but not consensus) that a sniffle valve should be installed. The fact that one was NOT included in my FW kit has me wondering, however. Could I get a few comments from those with engine expertise out there?

My sniffle valve was included with my Lycoming IO-360A1B6 (the engine itself, not the FWF kit).

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited:
My sniffle valve was included with my Lycoming IO-360A1B6.

Skylor
RV-8

Mine too for my Vans S&F special Lyco YIO-360-M1B.

Rich,
You might consider contacting the Mothership to discuss whether it was omitted accidentally.

No sniffle valve on mine. Never needed it, as I shut down with the purge valve every time. no chance of fuel leaking into the sump.

Sniffle Valve

Mine came with FWF kit 2 months ago. It is in a small box in one one of the bags. Easy to not see it when doing initial inventory of the kit.

Back