What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall blanket

Strike69

Would like to hear from anyone who added a firewall blanket (Spruce Firewall 2000 Ceramic Blanket) to their RV-8 firewall. Does it make any difference on sound/heat? Seems like there is adequate separation with the forward baggage and avionics bay but the pedals are on the wall.

Thanks
Strike

me too

Hey Mike .... in the same boat as you and looking for ward to any replies / suggestions you may get

Peter

Search keywords "fire fiberfrax" and select "threads". You'll find quite a lot of reading.

My own experiments were keyed toward inflight engine compartment fire...measurements with the hot side at about 2000F. Insulating the engine side makes a huge difference in energy transferred to the structure and cockpit. The same insulation will certainly reduce cockpit-side firewall temperatures during normal operations (engine side at 150-225F), but I've never bothered to quantify the reduction.

I would not expect a large sound reduction, but I never quantified that either.

Oohh, that reminds me, I need to look into welding the seam of my stainless shim stock! It will probably just be a big mess, but worth a shot for the fun of it.

Back