What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

monkworkz

Southern Pete

Well Known Member
Anyone know anything about Monkworkz?
I'm considering changing my alternator and this would be just right for me. It almost seems too good to be true!
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any knowledge of the designer's credentials and any field experience with the product. The website says 10 are in the field, does anyone reading this have one?
Pete

Monk works generator

Take a look at the manual you can download from the website. This looks more like a backup generator since it doesn’t start operating until 900-1000 rpm. So you’d probably be on battery power at normal idle taxi speeds.

From the manual: “The device will not make power until RPM is over ~900 RPM”

https://monkworkz.com

Last edited:
So it's a true generator, not an alternator. Interesting approach in this market...

Generators don't need an electricity source to start. Just spin and power comes out. Has an interesting potential for back-up power. But yes, the lack of any power at low RPM is the downside.

This looks like a really nice solution for a backup, especially on an electrically dependent IFR ship. It's about half the size and weight of a 30 amp B&C backup alternator which doesn't produce much at 900 rpm either, because the rpm from the vacuum pad is too low. I also like the fact it is self-exciting, as that deals with a few (admittedly rare) failure scenarios like a main bus short.

Sounds like it's a permanent magnet alternator (like what is in my motorcycle)

Once it starts spinning, it starts generating a AC voltage and current.

More rpm, more current and voltage. So you need a minimum rpm to get to 14 volts.

The regulator would either be a shunt type (current is dumped to ground to regulate voltage) or PWM (pulse width management). Most likely PWM.

I'm wondering if the 900rpm is engine rpm or alternator rpm........

Cost?

Has anyone contacted them concerning price? I went to the site to read the installation manual but no price was shown.

Dumb as dirt for a new design. Per the manual, both the generator and the controller require 3/4" blast tubes. That's a loss of deltaP across the engine in flight, while doing little or nothing on the ground.

If you can't design the device to live in the engine compartment, don't put it there.

Sounds like it's a permanent magnet alternator (like what is in my motorcycle)

Once it starts spinning, it starts generating a AC voltage and current.

More rpm, more current and voltage. So you need a minimum rpm to get to 14 volts.

The regulator would either be a shunt type (current is dumped to ground to regulate voltage) or PWM (pulse width management). Most likely PWM.

I'm wondering if the 900rpm is engine rpm or alternator rpm........

From the manual....
At approximately 900-1000 crankshaft RPM the device will output 14.4 volts until a current limit of approximately 15 amps is reached. When the current limit is reached the output voltage will be automatically reduced to maintain the current limit. At approximately 1800 crankshaft RPM the device will current limit at 30 amps.

I have one in my RV-10 and it works great.
Small, Light, easy to install.
Highly recommend.

Attachments

• 1BA1FEFA-FCEB-44EB-B7BA-149FAB336AB6.jpeg
    1BA1FEFA-FCEB-44EB-B7BA-149FAB336AB6.jpeg
    731 KB · Views: 163
  • 670A6130-EA3B-46F2-9BC0-4A3EA16668FC.jpeg
    670A6130-EA3B-46F2-9BC0-4A3EA16668FC.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 155
Back