What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alpine County Airport M45

M5fly

Well Known Member
Anyone been to M45 near Markleeville, CA recently and know the condition of the pavement in relation to an A model RV? I'm trying to have some fun challenging myself with different airports. I've already been to Georgetown and that was great short field practice (though not really that short for an RV). I think right now my comfort level is around 3000' long and 50' wide. I'd like to continue finding airports near the west coast that will safely challenge my skills. We also plan on going to Cavanaugh Bay in June so I want to be very confident in my short/soft field skills.

I was there about a month ago. Asphalt is fine, as good as It's been since I've been there. The dirt area just off the parking spots was pretty muddy then, but I bet it's much dryer now. Camping area is looking great. It's a favorite spot. if you want company, let me know and I'll meet you there if I'm free.

Several not too far away. Sierraville, Quincy, Beckwourth all NW of RTS. You can try Herlong, but I would do at least one pass (maybe more) first to look for **** on the runway.

Several not too far away. Sierraville, Quincy, Beckwourth all NW of RTS. You can try Herlong, but I would do at least one pass (maybe more) first to look for **** on the runway.

Those all look like fun places to try, I'll have to check them out this spring. I might also try out the grass at Columbia and Frazier Lake.

Back