What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slipping an RV-3B

rv3pilot

Do you guys slip your 3 with full flaps. I used To do this all the time in my 4. The last time I slipped my 3 in on final, it shuddered and just quit slipping. With my foot at full right rudder it just went straight. I said oh well, it?s done with that and landed like normal. Powered back to idle and just let it fall at 80 mph IAS. Don?t really need to slip it with it?s descent rate so high at idle.

Thanks,
Chris

Yeah, it can slip - but I rarely (if ever) find the need to slip any of the short wing RV’s - especially if they have a constant speed prop! Just pull off power and they come down pretty quick.

Paul

Thank you! Finding that out myself.

Does yours have a CS prop? Otherwise, these planes don't glide that steeply. When I first started flying my RV-3 years back, I was coming from a Champ, which slips quite well. I overshot a number of initial landings in the -3 since it didn't didn't slip nearly as well, and didn't glide very steeply power off, even with full flap. RVs don't slip nearly as well most tube and fabric taildraggers, but slipping still does instantaneously change the glide angle slightly, which just like any airplane you can use to more accurately put the plane down where you want without relying on power, especially in an emergency. A Pitts descends much more steeply than an RV power off without slipping, but I'd still do full deflection slipping turns in the Pitts just for the practice and for fun, and be coming down 3,000 FPM on final. In that airplane, I wouldn't glide very far, but I could dramatically change the glide angle and easily stuff it in tight over an obstacle in an emergency if needed.

I have posted before, my only gripe about RV?s handling characteristics show up in slips. The control harmony is ehhhh.....
My L3, Champ, Bucker, and many other antiques, slips = fun. RV?s not so much (although the RV9 I hear is pretty good, but I didn?t slip the one I flew).
RV?s slip but you can?t compare them with the low and slow old stuff like your Champ. Thankfully, you just don?t need too.
How many airplanes can cruise at 200mph and stall at just over 50. I can live with an airplane that isn?t that much fun to slip and you don?t need to ever forward slip, at least I have never had a need.

Slips

I've been flying this plane for 10 years. I routinely pull full flaps at 80mph abeam the numbers, reduce power and slip aggressively in a semi-circle from downwind to the threshold, carefully bringing airspeed down to 70mph as I go, then round out and nurse it to a full stall landing unless conditions or a long runway make a wheel landing more desirable. I would argue that its both efficient and good practice for possible engine out emergency. It does require meaningful stick and rudder inputs, and close attention to airspeed and orientation to the runway all the way down. But I find it fun and very satisfying when I get it just right (not every time!) and can plant that tailwheel on the pavement first. That old RV grin just never gets old!.............&=)

Slip n? Slide

We slip our RV-6 sometimes, mostly when we?ve let the airspeed get a little high on final. It slips OK, but just OK. Seems to pitch down a bit with crossed controls. I?ve never had the pleasure of flying an RV-3 but I?d guess it will glide steeper if you can keep the airspeed under control. 1.3 x Vso is a conservative starting point, but I?ll bet you can safely approach slower than that, and eliminate the need to slip. Experiment! (at altitude if it seems scary...)

Back