What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadian RV?er Val-d`Or area

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I intend to pass the Val-d`Or area around the 20th June this year. I would like to drop some emergency equipment for a couple weeks until heading north again. It would be just a life raft, immersion suit and some minor things.
Is there someone in the area who can help me out?

Hi Hermann!
So you are going to make the hop over the pond, fantastic!
Where is Val-d`Or Area? Canada?
Let me know how I can help, if needed.
Blue skies and tail winds!

Val D'Or is a pretty unlikely spot to find RVs. Head south a little bit to Ottawa. MUCH more hospitable country over which to fly, and a bunch of RV's in the area. Check out EAA Chapter 245 based at Carp (CYRP) just west of the city. I'm based there and would happily store your over-water supplies.

Also, if you don't want to come south, try heading for North Bay (CYYB) - I know there's at least one RV9A there and can put you in contact with its owner.

Bruce - yes I intend to leave mid-June. Hope to get all the required permissions.

Let me know how I can help, if needed. I might come back on this one.

Ottawa is more to the east, I?m trying to get westward as soon as possible. I thought I can reach Val-d`Or and from there direct to Appleton with the least stops but might rethink this. I?m open for any suggestion.

Val D'Or is, frankly, in the middle of nowhere. Not sure of your inbound flight path. If Appleton is your next stop, I would suggest North Bay as a better destination than Val D'Or, as is Sudbury. From North Bay go across the top of Georgian Bay, cross into the US at/near Sault Ste. Marie, clear US customs at either the Sault or just south at Chippewa. Next stop, Appleton.

Presently I?m not at home and have no good access to aviation charts. But I see North Bay and Sudbury is south of Val-d`Dor so I need an additional fuel stop coming from Iqualit. No problem just have to figure out the route and available airports. Would not mind to pass any place, also Ottawa, if it is a reasonable distance from my planned route.
Thanks a lot for your hints.

Transatlantic Route

Hermann,
I will be making a similar trans Atlantic trip in my RV-10 at the end of May. My trip is to Ireland and back. I will also use Val-D'Or as a fuel stop due to it's convenient distance from Iqaluit. If you're willing to fly a little further south of Appleton, I'd be happy to invite you to stay at my house at Naper Aero (LL10) just outside of Chicago. I have plenty of room for you and your airplane at my place.

Jim,
thanks for your offer, I?ll keep this in mind.
I?m interested in your route and any infos you might want to share.
What is the range of your -10?

RV in northen quebec

If you need help during your trip i am in La Grande, Qc. i can provide you assistance. airport code is CYGL

let me know they sell avags here.

Michel :D

Canadian RV?er Val-d?Or area

Hi Hermann, if Sault Ste Marie helps you out I’d be glad to store your equipment. I have a hangar at CYAM.

Terry

Last edited:
My planned route is Leg 1: LL10 - CYAM (customs) - CYVO (fuel) - CYFB
Leg 2: CYFB - (BGSF for fuel if headwind) - BIRK
Leg 3: BIRK - EIWT

My Rv-10 will have a 40gal aux tank in place of the rear seats for a total of 100gal on board. This will allow about 10 hrs endurance at economy cruise for about 1,500nm range.

I want to avoid landing in Greenland if possible because it's so expensive and they require special permission for experimental aircraft.

I will not have HF radio on this route and it is not required if the Gander and Shanwick FIR are avoided.

What aircraft are you flying?

CYGL

Michel,
I was not aware that avgas was available at CYGL. It would be a better fuel stop than CYVO on my route - thanks for letting us know! Is it in drums or pump and how much does it cost?

avgas at cygl

it is aviable at the pump and price now is around 2$ cdn a liter taxe included

if need more contact me

michel:D

My planned route is Leg 1: LL10 - CYAM (customs) - CYVO (fuel) - CYFB
Leg 2: CYFB - (BGSF for fuel if headwind) - BIRK
Leg 3: BIRK - EIWT

My Rv-10 will have a 40gal aux tank in place of the rear seats for a total of 100gal on board. This will allow about 10 hrs endurance at economy cruise for about 1,500nm range.

I want to avoid landing in Greenland if possible because it's so expensive and they require special permission for experimental aircraft.

I will not have HF radio on this route and it is not required if the Gander and Shanwick FIR are avoided.

What aircraft are you flying?

10 hours endurance is pretty good, wish I had more fuel.
I have a 10 Gal aux tank in the rear baggage area of my RV-8. Max range is just over 1000 NM flying high and slow with some reserves.
I heard Greenland is expensive but also that it is beautiful and worth the experience.

Michel, Terry,

That sounds really good, It is all on my direct route and I would not have to stretch the legs to my limits.
I see CYAM is an airport of entry - even better.

Canadian RV?er Val-d? or area

Sounds great, glad to help.

I usually clear customs in Sault Ste Marie Michigan when I fly into the States. It?s literally a 5 minute flight from CYAM to KANJ, you?ll need to buy a US customs sticker online. It?s 25.00 dollars if I remember correctly, print out the receipt and bring it with you if the sticker does not arrive before you leave. Customs will accept that as proof that you paid.

To clear customs you?ll need to file a APIS online two hours before you arrive at the port of entry, if you plan to clear at KANJ you will have to call the local customs office two hours before arrival and they will send officers to the airport. I can help with all the phone numbers.

COPA?s web site has border crossing information that is worth the read.

If you plan to overnight here in the Sault, we can get you tied down and maybe even squeeze you into my hangar if she?ll fit.

PM or email me and I?ll give you my contact number.

Terry

Back