Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Default Sebring 75! Aerobatic Contest Sebring, FL

First, a huge shoutout to Karl for finishing first at Apple Valley with a tremendous 82.57%. Terrific job Karl.

Let me start out apologizing for my rotated images. I don't know why TinyPic is doing this. I'm going to change the site I use for image hosting.

We just finished our contest here in Sebring, FL. I will be attending Sebring's First Class awards banquet shortly. We had a good showing in Sportsman with 12 competitors, but there is something wrong with this picture:

I'm the only RV here!

Here's the lineup. A lot of strong competitors here with some very capable airplanes:

Wayne does an impressive job with this Super D. I've been pulling at his coat tails since I started this competition stuff.

Pat "Richard" Anderson was on fire with his Pitts!

This was my closest competition, Ken L in a Giles 202 and Shaun B in Patty Wagstaff's old fire breathing Extra:

Peter Nassar with his gorgeous RV-7 came for a visit. I first met him at the Snowbird Classic contest in Dunnellon, FL. He intended on competing, but couldn't make it due to weather.

Who says the RV can't be competitive?! I finished 3rd on the 3rd flight and 5th overall. We were all very strong. I was very pleased with my performance and received a lot of great compliments from people that were impressed/surprised with the RV's capability.

Here's a typical scoresheet with some great comments. It's what you do with those scores and comments on the next flight is what matters.

I'm really hoping to see some more RV's out there competing. This is a ton of fun, will make you a better pilot, and the camaraderie is fantastic!
Old 05-06-2017, 04:52 PM

Way to go Jerry!! See what hangaring in the same hangar as me will do for you!!!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:44 PM

Great write up Jerry. And awesome flying--way to go!

I noticed that you got a couple comments I got last contest. Settling into spin and a barreled 2-point roll on the last figure. I got some ground coaching before Apple Valley and was told "hold it right there" when I capped off the 45 up line just before the spin. I was about 15 degrees nose high. I thought "really?" but hey, it's what the judges see, not what I see. So that's what I did at Apple Valley and it worked.

I'm still trying to straighten out that 2-point roll. One judge gave me a tip yesterday: keep the high rudder in longer since it helps to keep the roll going around. I will play with this idea next time I go up. Half the fun is testing out new ideas people give me.

Thanks again for the write up!
=VAF= donor 2022
Old 05-06-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabarr View Post
Way to go Jerry!! See what hangaring in the same hangar as me will do for you!!!!!
Good karma from hangar B-1!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
Great write up Jerry. And awesome flying--way to go!

I noticed that you got a couple comments I got last contest. Settling into spin and a barreled 2-point roll on the last figure. I got some ground coaching before Apple Valley and was told "hold it right there" when I capped off the 45 up line just before the spin. I was about 15 degrees nose high. I thought "really?" but hey, it's what the judges see, not what I see. So that's what I did at Apple Valley and it worked.

I'm still trying to straighten out that 2-point roll. One judge gave me a tip yesterday: keep the high rudder in longer since it helps to keep the roll going around. I will play with this idea next time I go up. Half the fun is testing out new ideas people give me.

Thanks again for the write up!
Yup, 15 deg NH is what it takes. They like to see a positive break or nose drop and not mush into a stall. An excellent technique is to reach level flight (or very slight climb) with some power on, but be below power off stall speed. That way, when you're ready to spin, you wipe the power off and the airplane stalls and the nose pitches down immediately. I knew this and have been successful using this technique, but I didn't make it happen on this one.

You're right about it being fun trying new ideas or techniques. I had a blast one practice session with a tip I got about modulating the power during a spin, particularly just prior to recovery. I must have done 20 spins that flight!

Take care and good luck on the next contest!
Old 05-07-2017, 05:44 AM

A great showing by Jerry and Karl. Did I hear talk of Nationals?
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 05-07-2017, 10:49 AM

nice job Jerry! Great wite up.

I'm Planning to compete at the Hossier Hoedown in Kokomo IN In 2 weeks. I havn't had as much time to practice as I would like, so I'm sticking with the Known for all 3 flights. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronschreck View Post
A great showing by Jerry and Karl. Did I hear talk of Nationals?
Planning on it! I can never get enough Oshkosh (and fresh cheese curds!)
=VAF= donor 2022
Old 05-07-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
Planning on it! I can never get enough Oshkosh (and fresh cheese curds!)
Nationals is within the realm of possibilities.

I think I'll stay away from the cheese Kurds though. I've witnessed what happens when one consumes too many of them! It ain't pretty!
Old 05-07-2017, 05:02 PM

Jerry, I grew up in Wisconsin. You're right, one must be careful to eat a balanced diet. If you're going to eat a lot of cheese curds, you have to eat a lot of bratwurst too. And get proper exercise by having Packers season tickets.
=VAF= donor 2022