What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tungsten bucking bar question

Kaffer62

I am thinking of buying a tungsten bucking bar since Avery has them on sale. I am building a rv7. Which one do you think would be the best one. Or what have others preferred for your build?

Mine is similar to #6007... I actually bought mine from Midwest Tungsten (BB7 is their model number). It's a little over a pound and a half, had one end angled so you can get it in where rib flanges might prevent you from getting a straight shot at a rivet tail. I love the thing, wouldn't want to ever do without it.

Same one I've got... Vary rarely use any other bucking bar.

Curious if there really is other tungsten that someone might prefer though. Can't think of anything that the 6007 version can't do.

I have the 6007, the angled end has been useful. The size/weight has been perfect!

Bar

Lots use the smaller square one with a slanted end. A few times, wish I had one but believe it or not, the other one works just fine on the side as well. I often tape sticks or alignment blocks. The wing bottom skin to rear spar for example. It's blind. I made a block so the bar face would be perfectly aligned.

+1 definitely wrap the bar with tape.

I have 6005, 6007 and 6008. Don't use 6005 very much. 6007 is nice because it will get into a lot of the tight spaces. My bucking partner prefers 6008 which she says doesn't hurt her hand as much.

Wrap with bicycle tube

I pull a short piece of old bicycle tube over mine. Makes it easier to grip, doesn't mark the adjacent structure, and I can slip in a piece of aluminum of the appropriate thickness to keep it parallel to the rivet if I am using the side.

Idea

I pull a short piece of old bicycle tube over mine. Makes it easier to grip, doesn't mark the adjacent structure, and I can slip in a piece of aluminum of the appropriate thickness to keep it parallel to the rivet if I am using the side.

Good one Terry.

The one about the size of a Snickers bar is the one I use 90% of the time.
When that one doesn't work I have one about the size of a brownie. Both are angled on one end.

Hmmm, thinking I need to go make something for dessert now.

The one about the size of a Snickers bar is the one I use 90% of the time.
When that one doesn't work I have one about the size of a brownie. Both are angled on one end.

Hmmm, thinking I need to go make something for dessert now.
Don't do it! I fell into that trap and my abs of steel turned into a gut of tungsten... judging by the increased weight.

Back