What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie question

jigeye

I'm New Here
Considering buying an existing airplane. Went to Petit Jean fly-in this weekend. Friendly and informative people. Concerning the RV-9, are the cockpit dimensions the same as the 7? This is the only airplane my wife and I did not get an opportunity to sit in.

The 7 and 9 are essentially the same fuselage in dimension and construction.

Considering buying an existing airplane. Went to Petit Jean fly-in this weekend. Friendly and informative people. Concerning the RV-9, are the cockpit dimensions the same as the 7? This is the only airplane my wife and I did not get an opportunity to sit in.

Welcome, Yes the fuselage is the same between 7 and 9.
Keep in mind there many build's changes done that alter the fit.
Many make the panel an inch lower, seat are set and adjusted different and rudder pedals are movable.

As Mark noted the panel, seat and rudder pedal placement can be adjusted as you build to fit leg length etc. The pedals can be moved but they are not "adjustable " in the normal sense of the word. Seat backs can also be adjusted and there is a "RV 14" mod that moves the seat back further back for long legged people which works pretty well. Sit in the one you are thinking of and then you can get help here depending on what you think needs to be done.
I have a -7 with the pedals forward, the panel extension, and the RV 14 seat mod and it is pretty comfortable (6' 3").
Figs

Back