Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 08:18 PM

RV's are easy to roll, and dangerous for solo beginners because when you end up with the nose pointed down you will be through VNE in a flash and the g limit is pilot controlled.
The feet on the floor (beginner's roll) is easy and results in a pretty good roll, starting with the nose well above the horizon and ending up level of a bit nose down. When you are comfortable with these you might try "stepping on the sky" as you approach he vertical portions of the roll. Sometimes called applying top rudder. When this becomes routine try applying a bit of forward stick as you approach the inverted portion.

The goal is to roll smoothly with minimum altitude change. I am assuming a non inverted fuel and oil system. Have fun and always be at least three mistakes high.
chuck ross Vernon BC
Old 07-13-2017, 03:45 AM

Thumbs down YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack View Post
Mark Fullerton is begging me to come fly competitive aerobatics but not sure if the increase maintenance cost is worth it.
I have not totally decided yet. 48 years of loving aviation as a career and hobby.
Jack
What is this increased maintenance cost? I should add that to the list of excuses people have given me for not flying aerobatics. The most common one is "I'm too old for that". (Haven't heard that from anyone older than me yet!)

I have been flying aerobatics in my RV-8 for eleven years now. I do the same yearly condition inspection as those who do not fly aerobatics. I do keep an eye out for maintenance issues between inspections; shouldn't we all do that?

PS: Mark Fullerton is one of the best aerobatic coaches around. You should definitely take the plunge!
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 07-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Hartzell requires annual inspections on a blended airfoil prop I am told
Most Acro planes do not reach TBO
APRS/ WB4JKY
Retired Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
CE500, LRJT, HS25, C650, SBJT, CL60
Hunt Aviation, LLC.
Pilot Service, IPC's Biennials.
Comm Glider
Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Can't speak for others but my RV has 2100+ hours on the engine and still going strong after 8 years of air show aerobatics and 7 years of aerobatic competition.
My Formation Video
CAF B-25 - Airbase Arizona
VAF 2022 Donor
Old 07-13-2017, 07:35 PM

Yes you and the rest are still running your composite Hartzell props that were made for acrobatics when The team was together.

Let's not get this wrong I love acrobatics. Just don't have a real need to prove much to myself. Kinda of like old Bob Hoover. Just love to do my own energy management. Like I said no firm choice yet on competitions.
Jack
APRS/ WB4JKY
Retired Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
CE500, LRJT, HS25, C650, SBJT, CL60
Hunt Aviation, LLC.
Pilot Service, IPC's Biennials.
Comm Glider
Old 07-14-2017, 05:55 AM

Default just fun

Participating in an aerobatic contest was a bucket list item several years ago. Now it's just fun and a chance to associate with my good buddies like Ron and Jerry, as well as the best pilots in the world. You don't need to compete to join the group.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL
Old 07-14-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
If you're already doing acro, why do you feel competition acro would accelerate your maintenance schedule? One of the widespread misconceptions about the sport is that you must beat the airplane significantly harder compared to recreational acro. Not the case at the Primary/Sportsman level. Unfortunately the term "competition" conjures up images of Sean Tucker's flying, which is the polar opposite of competition style acro.

Regarding not reaching TBO, there are two main reasons acro planes don't reach TBO...many tend to spend a lot of time sitting, and many have high compression pistons which means the top end won't last as long. I have known many folks with standard compression motors turning over 3,000 RPM on each flight go well over 1,500 hrs when flown regularly. I'm approaching 1,700 hrs on my motor. Still going strong. Flying a little Sportsman level acro in your RV really isn't gonna change your cost of ownership.

I've never considered the sport to be an opportunity to "prove" anything to myself or others, or to "compete" with anyone. It's just a way to have fun, challenge yourself, enjoy the learning process, and make friends with great folks.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandifer View Post
If you're already doing acro, why do you feel competition acro would accelerate your maintenance schedule? One of the widespread misconceptions about the sport is that you must beat the airplane significantly harder compared to recreational acro. Not the case at the Primary/Sportsman level. Unfortunately the term "competition" conjures up images of Sean Tucker's flying, which is the polar opposite of competition style acro.
Talking with a friend on the way home from an IAC chapter practice day last weekend, we both agreed that IAC acro as coached that day was quite a bit more violent than recreational acro or even mock ACM. I think the concern is valid and wouldn't dismiss it. Before dismissing it as poor coaching, I'd add that the coach is on the U.S. Unlimited team so it's not a newbie coaching a newbie.

And there are, in fact, maintenance items. Engine mounts/isolators, stretched horizontal attach bolts, and more are documented and findable via this forums search mechanism. Not common or even serious/expensive, but they are there.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM

Default Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
Talking with a friend on the way home from an IAC chapter practice day last weekend, we both agreed that IAC acro as coached that day was quite a bit more violent than recreational acro or even mock ACM. I think the concern is valid and wouldn't dismiss it. Before dismissing it as poor coaching, I'd add that the coach is on the U.S. Unlimited team so it's not a newbie coaching a newbie.

And there are, in fact, maintenance items. Engine mounts/isolators, stretched horizontal attach bolts, and more are documented and findable via this forums search mechanism. Not common or even serious/expensive, but they are there.
A coach from the Unlimited team MAY BE and in this case probably is a very poor choice for a Sportsman coach.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs14855 View Post
A coach from the Unlimited team MAY BE and in this case probably is a very poor choice for a Sportsman coach.
For sure, but that's not the point - the point is that people with RVs and new to IAC (but not aerobatics) are being coached to fly their plane...well, not all that differently from how Mr. Tucker flies his airshow. Maybe this was an isolated incident, but it's not the first time I've seen it happen either.