VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-27-2021, 09:56 PM
DavidP2020 DavidP2020 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 23
Default Planned QB, but with delays should I go SB?

I just ordered my RV-10 Emp kit a few days ago, as well as QB wings & fuselage. Emp kit should arrive appx 4 months. As everyone knows, QB kits are undetermined delay. I have a lot of time off right now, so expect to complete the Emp in appx 2-3 months after it arrives.

I'm ok "only" building 51% of the airplane by using QB parts and I'd like to complete the airplane as quickly as possible. I'm also willing to pay for the QB. But with an undetermined delay for QB, I'm debating going SB on either wings or fuselage.

As a reference, right now lead times for SB wings are 6 months and SB fuse is 7 months.

Looking for opinions on whether I should swap one QB for SB, and if so, which one (fuse or wings) and why?
__________________
David P

RV-10 Emp & QB Fus/Wings ordered 24 Mar 2021!
Partnering with BoilermakerMike
Retired U.S. Air Force
Major airline pilot
CFII

Last edited by DavidP2020 : 03-27-2021 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added "RV-10"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-27-2021, 10:44 PM
Kyle Boatright Kyle Boatright is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,459
Default

Opinion... If you really think you'll be on pace for it, order the SB fuselage and the QB wings. You could even delay the wings and order the finish kit next after the fuselage. The real mountain of work in the -10 is in the fuselage, finish kit, and systems, so why not get on with that while you're waiting on the wings?

Also, if you defer the wings, that means you'll have more available shop/storage space until they arrive.
__________________
Kyle Boatright
Marietta, GA
2001 RV-6 N46KB
2019(?) RV-10
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2021, 05:59 AM
DavidP2020 DavidP2020 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Opinion... If you really think you'll be on pace for it, order the SB fuselage and the QB wings. You could even delay the wings and order the finish kit next after the fuselage. The real mountain of work in the -10 is in the fuselage, finish kit, and systems, so why not get on with that while you're waiting on the wings?

Also, if you defer the wings, that means you'll have more available shop/storage space until they arrive.
Just to clarify, when you say "The real mountain of work in the -10 is in the fuselage, finish kit, and systems...", I assume you mean that regardless of SB or QB, most of the work is in those parts. Is that right?
__________________
David P

RV-10 Emp & QB Fus/Wings ordered 24 Mar 2021!
Partnering with BoilermakerMike
Retired U.S. Air Force
Major airline pilot
CFII
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-2021, 07:35 AM
rockwoodrv9 rockwoodrv9 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Meridian ID, Aspen CO, Okemos MI
Posts: 2,717
Default

I cant answer which would be best but can offer some ideas for you to consider.

1. There is a crapload of work in building the fuselage. It is disappointing they cant even give you a date for the qb and 7 months for sb. Ugg. I would say keep your eyes open for a kit someone has that they are stalled on but they are snapped up so fast I wouldnt count on it. Maybe advertise to see if anyone would consider selling?

2. The wings are in my opinion easier to build that the fuselage. I would get those ordered asap sb so you have something to work on when you finish the EMP kit.

3. There is a LOT of work building these planes. It was hard for me to stay motivated and with some project required relocations it took me about 9 years to finish. There are other guys that will build your fuselage or wings. Maybe they have some they are working on now?

Good luck however you go. I just saw a nice 10 just sold for about $325k so you wont be working for free!

David - I just noticed this was you and you are in Howell. Im still in Williamston and hope to have my 9A out here this summer.
__________________
rockwoodrv9a
Williamston MI
O-320 D2A
Flying N376E

Last edited by rockwoodrv9 : 03-28-2021 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2021, 07:52 AM
Kyle Boatright Kyle Boatright is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidP2020 View Post
Just to clarify, when you say "The real mountain of work in the -10 is in the fuselage, finish kit, and systems...", I assume you mean that regardless of SB or QB, most of the work is in those parts. Is that right?
Yes. The wings are simple and repetitive. The fuse, finish kit, and systems require a lifetime in the -10.
__________________
Kyle Boatright
Marietta, GA
2001 RV-6 N46KB
2019(?) RV-10
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-2021, 08:04 AM
DavidP2020 DavidP2020 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
I cant answer which would be best but can offer some ideas for you to consider.

1. There is a crapload of work in building the fuselage. It is disappointing they cant even give you a date for the qb and 7 months for sb. Ugg. I would say keep your eyes open for a kit someone has that they are stalled on but they are snapped up so fast I wouldnt count on it. Maybe advertise to see if anyone would consider selling?

2. The wings are in my opinion easier to build that the fuselage. I would get those ordered asap sb so you have something to work on when you finish the EMP kit.

3. There is a LOT of work building these planes. It was hard for me to stay motivated and with some project required relocations it took me about 9 years to finish. There are other guys that will build your fuselage or wings. Maybe they have some they are working on now?

Good luck however you go. I just saw a nice 10 just sold for about $325k so you wont be working for free!

David - I just noticed this was you and you are in Howell. Im still in Williamston and hope to have my 9A out here this summer.
1. It would be nice to be able to get all the kits quickly, but I guess they have a perfect storm of COVID and many more orders, so weíll just have to find the most efficient way to work with the timeline we have. Iím using the time now to get the tools and workshop set up.

2. Good info on the wings. Thatís the type of info I need to decide which avenue to take. Thanks!

3. I hope to not have to move mid-build, so that should help. Itís my first build, so hopefully Iíll be able to keep the motivation going. I visited a -10 in progress this weekend and was happy to see one coming along at a good clip.

Iíd like to see your plane sometime!
__________________
David P

RV-10 Emp & QB Fus/Wings ordered 24 Mar 2021!
Partnering with BoilermakerMike
Retired U.S. Air Force
Major airline pilot
CFII
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-28-2021, 10:33 AM
UnPossible's Avatar
UnPossible UnPossible is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 553
Default

A little more food for thought. I ordered a SB fuselage and QB wings. I still work full time, but working most evenings and on the weekends, I had the SB fuselage to QB stage in about 4 months.... I thought I would be flying in no time! Then it was time to fit the cabin top, doors and windows. 12 months later and they are just about complete.... and I haven't even looked at the QB wings!

If I was in your shoes and money wasn't a limit, I think I would order the SB fuselage, finish kit and QB wings. Even if the QB wings are 12 months out, I would bet pretty good money that you will be still messing with the fuselage/finish kit when the wings arrive.
__________________
Jason Tremble
RV-7A (Flying and Sold)
RV-10 in process (@#$$%# Cabin Top & Doors)
Paid for 2020
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-28-2021, 02:45 PM
abaden abaden is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 4
Default

I have an empennage kit on order with delivery hopefully in the next few weeks. With the increased lead times I decided to order the QB wings and SB fuselage. Looking at the plans the fuselage looks more ďinterestingĒ. I figure by the time the wings arrive, Iíll be anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 with the fuselage (assuming something like 12 - 18 months of lead time), but thatís mostly guessing at this point. No actual experience yet, but hopefully a helpful datapoint from someone else in a similar position.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-2021, 03:24 PM
DavidP2020 DavidP2020 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 23
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas!

I think I'm going to swap to SB fuselage and keep the QB wings for now. That will keep the build going when the Emp is done.
__________________
David P

RV-10 Emp & QB Fus/Wings ordered 24 Mar 2021!
Partnering with BoilermakerMike
Retired U.S. Air Force
Major airline pilot
CFII
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-28-2021, 03:53 PM
AdamB AdamB is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fremont, NH
Posts: 267
Default

I think that's a great plan, like mentioned above.

I got both the QB wings and QB fuse and to be honest I spent a relatively short amount of time finishing out the wings compared to all the work required on the fuse and finish kits.
So much so, my wings have sat untouched for a couple of years to get to the point of hanging the engine (a couple more months out for me).

So if I were in your shoes, that's exactly the route I would go.
__________________
RV10 - #41687
http://adamsrv10.wordpress.com
N56AB Reserved
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.