- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:22 PM

Default ABOUT TO THE END OF MY ROPE!!

If I sound frustrated, it's because I am! I have a RV-14A that I finished in almost exactly 24 months. It's ready to fly pending the Airworthiness Insopection AND getting the avionics squared away
I have a Dynon Skyview HDX, dual 10" screens and have been trying to get the Advanced Flight Systems Quick Panel up and running for the past 14 months and I'm still not there.

For the most part, some things work and some don't. I've tried to calibrate the fuel tank senders, but no luck there. The setup menu says I have 5 volts output which does not change regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. So ? I thought maybe I had installed the senders upside down. Spent about 4 hours today removing and re-installing one of the senders. It was installed correctly and my ohm meter responded as expected. The other sensor was installed the same way so I did not remove it. Any suggestions?

I've been unable to get a position reading from my pitch and roll trims and no reading on flap position. All work as expected (motors run in correct direction) but no indication on the EFIS about their position. Sure would like to know my pitch trim position before my first flight.

Autopilot servos appear to have calibrated correctly.

Not sure about the GPS since I haven't had the plane outside long enough for it to detect the satellites.

Keep getting a "ACM Offline" caution message, but don't know what that means. Anybody know what this is?

I think my ADAHRS is working OK, but I don't trust it! I'm taking my cell phone GPS with me on the first flight as a speed backup. I know GPS speed does not translate into indicated airspeed, but it's better then nothing if the airspeed indication go South. The altimeter and outside air temp seem to be OK.

Being at a small airport (07F) we have no instrument shop. There's probably one in Shreveport, LA but I can't fly in Class B airspace to have someone look at it after I get the plane certified airworthy.

Does anyone know somebody who might be willing to travel to Gladewater, Texas to help me sort all this out? I would be more than willing to pay a daily rate plus travel expenses just to get another pair of eyes on my installation.

Joe
Longview, TX

RV-14A 99% Complete (except avionics)

Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly

2020 Dues Paid
Old 05-18-2020, 05:28 PM

I'll be the first one to ask. Advanced couldn't help you with any of these problems? I plan on getting a quick panel and hope that if i have issues the advanced guys will help me figure them out.
Dues paid April 2021
Old 05-18-2020, 05:38 PM

Joe, in re the fuel sensor issue, make sure that you have selected the right kind of sensor in the Dynon set up menu. See page 7-59 and 7-60 in the install manual. As I don't have the Advanced Control Module (ACM) I can't really help there but the one thing I'd try in the Dynon setup is to go to the Network Set up function and look at the Network Status. I can't remember the exact words used, but there is a network discovery function which should go out and poll every Dynon device. The Advanced Control Module is offline and I'd bet that is the cause of most of your other issues. Assuming it's powered on, it may not be communicating with the rest of the Skyview system.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 05-18-2020, 05:45 PM

Default Customer Service

Call Rob Hickman at AFS.
RV8 N37PK
Old 05-18-2020, 06:15 PM

Rob may see this thread and respond.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 05-18-2020, 07:01 PM

Make sure the base of the sender unit is grounded, I see lots of fuel qty issues caused by bad ground at the sender.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1900+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 05-18-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwranda View Post
I'll be the first one to ask. Advanced couldn't help you with any of these problems? I plan on getting a quick panel and hope that if i have issues the advanced guys will help me figure them out.
Advanced has been very helpful, Rob Hickman in particular. I reached out to VAF because I feel that Advanced is growing weary of answering my questions.
Joe
Longview, TX
Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 PM

Just looked in my ACM manual and don't even see an "ACM offline" message. Other Offlines like EFIS, CO, etc, but nothing ACM only unless I missed it.

on ADHARS have you done the calibration yet? I am guessing you still need to do this since you said you haven't had the plane our of the hangar long enough to acquire GPS signal yet, but you should do this before your first flight for sure.

As others have said, Rob is awesome and can help you out. If he doesn't see this, reach out to their team and I bet you are up and running quickly.

Good luck
Inspection coming
2018/19/20 VAF dues paid

Last edited by dreed : 05-18-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
Joe, in re the fuel sensor issue, make sure that you have selected the right kind of sensor in the Dynon set up menu. See page 7-59 and 7-60 in the install manual. As I don't have the Advanced Control Module (ACM) I can't really help there but the one thing I'd try in the Dynon setup is to go to the Network Set up function and look at the Network Status. I can't remember the exact words used, but there is a network discovery function which should go out and poll every Dynon device. The Advanced Control Module is offline and I'd bet that is the cause of most of your other issues. Assuming it's powered on, it may not be communicating with the rest of the Skyview system.
Excellent suggestion. I'll check it out tomorrow when I go to the airport.

I still don't know how to handle the "ACM Offline" message. lf the ACM is not communicating with the Skyview system how could any of it be working? Maybe someone will have a clue about this.
Joe
Longview, Texas
Old 05-18-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed View Post
Just looked in my ACM manual and don't even see an "ACM offline" message. Other Offlines like EFIC, CO, etc, but nothing ACM only unless I missed it.

on ADHARS have you done the calibration yet? I am guessing you still need to do this since you said you haven't had the plane our of the hangar long enough to acquire GPS signal yet, but you should do this before your first flight for sure.

As others have said, Rob is awesome and can help you out. If he doesn't see this, reach out to their team and I bet you are up and running quickly.

Good luck
I couldn't find any reference to "ACM Offline" either. May Rob will know. I'm going to call him tomorrow.

Joe
Longview, Texas