What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

15.9 Flight Hours - Now a Few Questions

azflyer21

Well Known Member
I'm flying in the Phoenix area and have about 16 hours on my 14A, here's a few questions:

What should my Oil Temps be reading? (Aeroshell Mineral 100)
-Normally 212-215 OAT 60-68
-Today 238 OAT 75

Full Flap Landings require what seems to be a large amount of nose-up trim, is this normal?

I am planning first oil change at 25 hours, is this about right?

Thanks

That?s pretty high...

for the oil temp in my opinion. I am flying a -14 and have a butterfly valve installed so I can restrict airflow to the oil cooler. At the OATs you stated I run about 180 degrees or less and need to restrict airflow some to maintain 185 degrees. 185 degrees is the recommended oil temperature to ensure moisture is eliminated from oil.

The nose-up trim requirement when extending flaps is what I experience on my airplane as well as the Van's RV-14 and -14A demonstrators of which I have flown both. Nose-up trim is especially needed when going from 1/2 flaps to full flaps.

My info, with a 14A, jibes down exactly as Jeffery's. At around that many hours during my phase one and somewhat cooler weather I climbed straight to 12000 and the oil temp got to 205, normal cruise is at around 180.

In regards to the oil change, I took a more conservative approach. I changed mine at 5-6 hours since I believe the most condemnation happens at the early hours, then at 25 hours.

In regards to your oil temp, is it possible that you are leaned more than usual. Are you using EIS and if so, what is the max advance?

Hope this helps.

The oil temps seem high compared to other 14s. Most people seem to be in the 185 - 200 range at cruise except when really hot out. My emails from Lycoming rep mention first oil change at 10 hrs to be a good idea. As far as needing a lot of up trim with full flaps, yes that is normal.

Thanks

Typically a new or newly overhauled engine should have its oil and filter changed at 10 hours, then every 50 hours after that.

There is a lot of metal that is shaved off the parts (rings, bearings, etc.) in that first few hours.

Good luck with the rest of your testing.

Oil change

I changed my oil at 5 hours, 15 hours, 30 hours. At 50 hours I changed it again to move from Aeroshell 100 mineral oil to Aeroshell W100 Plus.

That's concerning on my oil temps, I built to plans, now time to investigate.

I will most likely do the oil change this week since 25 hours seems to be too long for the first one.

Thanks for the feedback!

Break in Oil temps

I'm flying in the Phoenix area and have about 16 hours on my 14A, here's a few questions:

What should my Oil Temps be reading? (Aeroshell Mineral 100)
-Normally 212-215 OAT 60-68
-Today 238 OAT 75

Full Flap Landings require what seems to be a large amount of nose-up trim, is this normal?

Thanks

oCZ.jpg

Are you flying without wheel pants?
Do you have advanced ignition timing?

These are my oil temps at 75% power and ROP (timing @ 20BTDC). The area in yellow is during break in. Notice a significant drop after break in. Although your numbers are higher, your OAT is also higher. I would encourage you to continue flying. Those numbers should drop with time. My CHT and oil temps dropped within 25 to 50 hours, but my oil consumption did not stabilize until about 100 to 125 hours. Also, my wheel pants and leg fairings added 17 kts which increased cooling significantly.

The oil temp drop after break in is a combination of the break in and installing the wheel pants.

And yes, full flaps will require a good amount of nose trim.

Last edited:
Marvin, when you talk about stabilise, what sort of consumption and how long did you keep running the run in oil?
I have done just over 20 hrs and consistently have oil temp of 183 or so.
My oil consumption has not stabilised and I changed my oil filter at 10 hrs and will change oil and filter at 25 hrs in accordance with my Lame instructions. Problem is, we are in lockdown and can only fly for a maintenance flight every 30 days as per lycoming service letter and our CAA Covid rules.

Oil consumption

Marvin, when you talk about stabilise, what sort of consumption and how long did you keep running the run in oil?
I have done just over 20 hrs and consistently have oil temp of 183 or so.
My oil consumption has not stabilised and I changed my oil filter at 10 hrs and will change oil and filter at 25 hrs in accordance with my Lame instructions. Problem is, we are in lockdown and can only fly for a maintenance flight every 30 days as per lycoming service letter and our CAA Covid rules.

This is the third engine I’ve “broke in” and it acted different than the other two. The first two (O-320 and O-540) took less than 25 to 50 hours.

My engine currently has about 400 hours; in the past 275 hours I have averaged about 9 hours/quart. I ran mineral oil for the first 50 hours, because my CHTs and oil temps came down I assumed my engine was “broke in” and switched to 20W50 multi-weight. I had difficulty determining my consumption rate. It seemed variable and I even considered that I may have glazed the cylinders. I contacted Lycoming and they assured me my variable rate of consumption was normal until about 100 to 125 hours. They even claimed a different cylinder wall hardness for the IO-390 which could require 125 hours for break in and recommended I just stick with the 20W50 and wait. Sure enough around 100 to 125 hours all was well, whew! It is possible that keeping mineral oil in for more than 50 hours would have been helpful.

There are variables that cause each of us to report different consumption rates. I submit ensuring your crankcase ventilation hose travels up hill as far as possible before turning down the firewall is a good practice. The following post is the best I’ve seen on the IO-390.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1366213&postcount=9

Last edited:
Back