What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine roughness issue

cropdusterdave

Well Known Member
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light/had a similar experience. I'm running a lycoming O-320 with a Sterba wood prop. No issues for the first 40ish hours. A few flights ago, I noticed some minor surging/roughness right at my favorite cruise rpm setting of 2200 rpm plus or minus 50 to 100 RPM. This has not been present in the first 40 hours of running. I dropped the cowl....checked for induction leaks and found none. Sumped the tanks and gascolator well (I did not drop the filter element to check for blockage). It was suggested to me that I could have the prop balanced. I just don't see how a previously smooth running prop could all of a sudden be out of balance. The mags are well timed and running strong. I'm burning 100LL and I live up north so vapor lock is ruled out. Still experiencing the surging and/or roughness....just at the specific power setting of 2200ish RPM.

Any suggestions or ideas? It's driving me crazy.

does it happen at all mixture settings, fr,lop, rop? Experiment with the mixture and cracking the carb heat to see if it is mixture related. Try doing a mag check while it is happening to eliminate ignition issues.

Good Luck,

Mahlon

Roughness

Check the screws that hold the carb halves together.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Back