What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN V6.11 Upgrade for EAB Customers

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

We take customer feedback very seriously and certainly understand and empathize with those of you that have asked us over the years if you could install your own GTN 6XX/7XX software upgrades instead of needing to work with a Garmin dealer who may be a great distance from your location.

We are pleased to announce that GTN V6.11, which includes features such as G3X Touch integrated radio tuning and user defined holding patterns, is now available as a software download to EAB customers with non-certified aircraft.

We will likely move this to a better location, but for now the service bulletin and software downloads are located at the bottom of this web page. Please note that the software images linked on this page which format and auto-create SD cards are delivered to our dealer resource center as a Windows computer self extracting .exe file and are only usable on Windows computers. We apologize up front to Mac users.

Service Bulletin 1613 and Software for Non-Certified Aircraft

A special non-certified aircraft service bulletin 1613 has been developed to provide the guidance for performing this upgrade. We encourage you to download the service bulletin first, read the instructions, and then determine if you still feel qualified to create the loader card(s) and perform the upgrade and installation verification. If not, the option of seeking assistance from a dealer is still available.

SB 1613, like the certified aircraft counterpart SB 1580, includes a GTN software upgrade, but also a GMA 35 boot block software upgrade (using a separate loader card) IF you have a GTN 750 installed in combination with a GMA 35 audio panel.

If you do not have a GMA 35 installed with a GTN 750, a single loader card is created and much of the service bulletin instructions are skipped that only apply to the GMA 35 software upgrade.

Follow the guidance in the service bulletin for obtaining a suitable blank SD card(s). Commerically available high quality 2G to 32G cards may be used.

For GTN only installations, you will download this single loader card image (from the above linked software download page) and create a single SD card to update the GTN to V6.11:
Service Bulletin 1613 - GTN 6XX/7XX Software Loader Image 006-B1367-33, Ver. 6.11, as of Feb 10, 2016, Download

If you have a GMA 35 audio panel installed with a GTN 7XX, you will download a second loader card image (from the above linked software download page) and create another separate SD card to update the GMA 35 Boot Block:
Service Bulletin 1613 - GMA Boot Block Software Loader Image 006-B2446-00, Ver. 4.10A, as of Sep 25, 2015, Download

We also expect in the future to be able to provide these updates to EAB non-certified aircraft owners perhaps sooner than the certified aircraft owners who must not only wait for the software to be TSO approved, but also wait for the STC update to be completed. The TSO approval will sometimes lead the STC approval by weeks to months depending on the nature of the upgrade.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Very Good news

Steve,
Thanks to you and the team, we knew you were listening!!

Gary
GTN650
RV10

Awesome -- can't wait! Your timing is perfect as I was just about to call about scheduling an appointment.

GTN 650 software updates etc

Steve and company, that is excellent news. I can now give Ray D another dig to spent some of that moldy money of his and upgrade his panel (again) :)
Thx, Rick
Southampton, Ont

This is awesome news! I imagine that TeamX had a real battle on their hands trying to convince the company and legal council that this was even possible!

More proof that TeamX is committed to supporting the experimental market for many moons to come!

FedEx and UPS are gonna be sad that they are not making all that money on shipping and declared value fees since we no longer have to ship these boxes around the country to find an experimental friendly upgrade process!

Thanks to your entire team Steve!

A special non-certified aircraft service bulletin 1613 has been developed to provide the guidance for performing this upgrade. We encourage you to download the service bulletin first, read the instructions, and then determine if you still feel qualified to create the loader card(s) and perform the upgrade and installation verification. If not, the option of seeking assistance from a dealer is still available.
Steve

that's great news about not having to get the dealer to install the upgrade. Is the above mentioned service bulletin available now, and can you post the link?

Thanks
Ed

Steve! You guys are awesome! I love every piece of Garmin in my panel and you just removed the only irritation!

Great news! I haven't turned my 650 on yet, but sure like the idea that I can keep the software up to date! Thanks!

ri6rv7.jpg

2lo24p3.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
This is really great news, and I can only imagine the amount of work it took negotiating with the FAA to make this happen - thanks TeamX!!

WTF? 2.5 hours to do an upgrade that takes only a few minutes to install?

They charge what Garmin puts in the labor estimate section for man hours, ridiculous

I watched them do it, took under 15mins, but 2.5hrs is what their shop allocated for the tech so that's how it goes

Will this update include prior updates as well ?

I have not sent my 750 in for earlier updates.

Yes. The update card will include all of the current versions for the various components of the GTN.

That's excellent news!

Just not having to hassle with finding a shop is a huge plus, not to mention the money savings!

-Dan

Available Now

Hello,

The original posting has been updated and the service bulletin and software are now available for download. If you don't immediately see the software at the bottom of the linked page, you might wait a bit for this change to make it around the internet.

Thanks,
Steve

GTX23es next?

I'm really happy to see this!

Any hope that transponder software updates (particularly GTX23es) will be able to follow the same process?

Garmin saw my post/frustration and reached out to me directly

Two thumbs up to Garmin guys- :D

That's Awesome -- I drank the Garmin coolaid a long time ago and never doubted the decision.:D However,your issue is with your installer not Garmin. Garmin doesn't charge them for the software so it's totally up to the installer what, if anything, they charge you.

Last edited:
That's Awesome -- I drank the Garmin coolaid a long time ago and never doubted the decision.:D However,your issue is with your installer not Garmin. Garmin doesn't charge them for the software so it's totally up to the installer what, if anything, they charge you.

add insult to injury? They ran my battery dead by leaving the GPU connected but powered down over night

innocent mistake, but salt on the wound- thanks Garmin for making it better

GDU 46x remote tuning

One thing that wasn't mentioned in this thread nor in the SB is that you have to configure the GTN's serial port used for remote tuning to "MAPMX FORMAT 2". This option wasn't available before ver 6.11. Took me a while to figure it out and finally found the info on page 24-21 of rev V G3X Installation Manual.

Heinrich

Loading v 6.11

v 6.11 Software downloaded successfully, thank you
Do you require a "Software Loader Card" or do you use your current, or a new blank SD card. No Garmin dealer access to download the software to generate a Software Loader Card?.

Do you require a "Software Loader Card" or do you use your current, or a new blank SD card. No Garmin dealer access to download the software to generate a Software Loader Card?.

I used a blank card I had laying around.

You can use any 2-8GB SD card, empty or otherwise. When run that software, it erases anything that was previously on the card and replaces it with the correct software/loader.

👍👍 for Garmin...

Wow. That download AND install on my GTN750 was so simple. I went from no update to full update with absolutely no problem. Way to go Garmin..

Australia

Hi Steve,

Is this appropriate for Australian customers also? I cant seem to get the details loading on my computer of the relevance of the Version.

Does it cover Asia Pacific and International versions?

Regards,
Andrew.

Hello,

We take customer feedback very seriously and certainly understand and empathize with those of you that have asked us over the years if you could install your own GTN 6XX/7XX software upgrades instead of needing to work with a Garmin dealer who may be a great distance from your location.

We are pleased to announce that GTN V6.11, which includes features such as G3X Touch integrated radio tuning and user defined holding patterns, is now available as a software download to EAB customers with non-certified aircraft.

We will likely move this to a better location, but for now the service bulletin and software downloads are located at the bottom of this web page. Please note that the software images linked on this page which format and auto-create SD cards are delivered to our dealer resource center as a Windows computer self extracting .exe file and are only usable on Windows computers. We apologize up front to Mac users.

Service Bulletin 1613 and Software for Non-Certified Aircraft

SB 1613, like the certified aircraft counterpart SB 1580, includes a GTN software upgrade, but also a GMA 35 boot block software upgrade (using a separate loader card) IF you have a GTN 750 installed in combination with a GMA 35 audio panel.

If you do not have a GMA 35 installed with a GTN 750, a single loader card is created and much of the service bulletin instructions are skipped that only apply to the GMA 35 software upgrade.

Follow the guidance in the service bulletin for obtaining a suitable blank SD card(s). Commerically available high quality 2G to 32G cards may be used.

For GTN only installations, you will download this single loader card image (from the above linked software download page) and create a single SD card to update the GTN to V6.11:
Service Bulletin 1613 - GTN 6XX/7XX Software Loader Image 006-B1367-33, Ver. 6.11, as of Feb 10, 2016, Download

If you have a GMA 35 audio panel installed with a GTN 7XX, you will download a second loader card image (from the above linked software download page) and create another separate SD card to update the GMA 35 Boot Block:
Service Bulletin 1613 - GMA Boot Block Software Loader Image 006-B2446-00, Ver. 4.10A, as of Sep 25, 2015, Download

We also expect in the future to be able to provide these updates to EAB non-certified aircraft owners perhaps sooner than the certified aircraft owners who must not only wait for the software to be TSO approved, but also wait for the STC update to be completed. The TSO approval will sometimes lead the STC approval by weeks to months depending on the nature of the upgrade.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Is this appropriate for Australian customers also? I cant seem to get the details loading on my computer of the relevance of the Version.

Does it cover Asia Pacific and International versions?

Regards,
Andrew.

Hello Andrew,

As you probably know, this is a software upgrade and does not pertain to any installed databases.

As long as you have a fixed wing aircraft and the part number of your GTN is covered by the table of affected products shown on the first page of SB 1613, the provided software should be appropriate for your unit.

It is the EAB pilot's/owner's responsibility to ensure that compliance to your country's rules is met.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Wow. That download AND install on my GTN750 was so simple. I went from no update to full update with absolutely no problem. Way to go Garmin..

I did my GTN 650 update this morning per the SB and it was a piece of cake. I took my time following the SB steps it still only took about 10 mins from start to completion of the load verification.

I did my GTN 650 update this morning per the SB and it was a piece of cake. I took my time following the SB steps it still only took about 10 mins from start to completion of the load verification.

Todd, Wendell, and others reporting back on the upgrade,

It is great hearing back that the upgrade is going smoothly for everyone.

We were confident this would be the case, but it is still good to hear the confirmation.

Thanks,
Steve

Add another smooth update to the list! While I was in there I got the databases on the GTN and G3X Screens updated as well. Good for another month.

Thanks guys!

Also got to verify that the wiring I put in last year actually works, and the G3X Touch remote com tuning and flight plan push works perfectly!

Did the upgrade on my 650 this morning.

Everything went smoothly.

This is much easier than having to go to a dealer!

Thanks!

-Dan

Thanks Garmin

Ditto on the GTN 650 upgrade and this months database load. Thanks guys.

Another successful upgrade

By far, the most time consuming part for me was copying down all the settings before starting the upgrade just in case something messed up...

it didn't... worked like a champ and was back up and running and playing with holding patterns in 5 minutes after I hit update..

Update completed, but...

I completed the update the other day & seemed to have gone well. However, I seemed to have lost my terrain data. Is this normal? Maybe because it expired?
I have one of the first GTN's & have never done any updates to it (nav, obstacles, etc) since I have had it & everything had expired. (Just completed 40 hrs.)
I see Garmin has the various updates, terrain included, for $150. Is that what I need to do to get it loaded back on the 650?

Thanks much,
Sam

I completed the update the other day & seemed to have gone well. However, I seemed to have lost my terrain data. Is this normal? Maybe because it expired?
I have one of the first GTN's & have never done any updates to it (nav, obstacles, etc) since I have had it & everything had expired. (Just completed 40 hrs.)
I see Garmin has the various updates, terrain included, for $150. Is that what I need to do to get it loaded back on the 650?

Thanks much,
Sam

One of the database files changed file format with the 5.x upgrade. If you were running an older release, this may be the problem. I did the the 5.x upgrade so long ago, I can't remember which file was impacted. I would give garmin a call or chat with them online.

Thanks much,
Sam

Hello Sam,

Glad to hear the software update went well.

The terrain database does not expire.

Yes, you may go to www.FlyGarmin.COM to purchase and download a new copy of the terrain database if necessary. The current version of the terrain database requires V4.00 or newer which won't be a problem.

I reviewed the complete service bulletin history for the GTN 6XX/7XX and there was no mention of any software upgrade, including V4.00, that invalidated the installed terrain database, so there seems to be some other reason for your loss of the terrain database.

As you probably know, the terrain database is kept on the SD card that must be left inserted into the GTN. If this terrain SD card was used to perform the V6.11 software update, it was erased and you no longer have a terrain database, but it can easily be restored with a new download.

Please contact us directly if you have additional questions.

It shouldn't be difficult to get you going again.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Thanks much,
Sam

Sam,

Thanks for posting. I've held off on doing this update for such unforeseen problems. Considering during the first year I paid for three "updates and patches" to solve problems with my GTN-650, all paid out of my pocket, I figured I'd leave well enough alone.

I already pay $450/year to keep just the GTN-650 NAVDATA up to date. The free Dynon SkyView aviation and terrain updates keeps the primary displays up to date.

Carl

Thanks much Steve & Bob. I'm finally starting to get my head wrapped around the avionics now & have held off on updates.

I used a new SD card when I did the v6.11 software update then put the original back in the slot when I finished. So, I'm not sure what could have happened.
I think I'll call Garmin before I do anything else

Thanks again for the help. Also thanks to Garmin for the EAB update.

Sam

Last edited:
Okay, an update to my last post:
I called Garmin support & the gentleman said pretty much what Steve had said. He also said to go to system status & check to see what databases were on card.
I did that & sure enough it showed that it was on the card but "not installed". So I went to "updates" & selected terrain, then 'update'. It went through about a five second gyration then 'complete'. Re-started the GTN & presto!! it was back.
All seems normal. (Now if I can just get the stinkin' settings right to make the autopilot work :confused: ...that's another story...)

Sam

GTN 650

Updated my GTN 650 to version 6.11. No issues, in fact quite easy. Well done "G3Xperts".
Rick
Southampton, Ont

Back