What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3M silicone ?

billytime1

Well Known Member
Has anyone used a silicon called 5200. Its made by 3M. I have used it in other applications and have found it to be very good. Was considering using it on the build of my rv6. It is marine grade silicon. Mold resistant in very sticky but it stays playable.. Its good stuff

What are you thinking about using it for?

I'd not use it for fuel tanks or anything where heat might be a factor, but for sealing where there is no pressure, structure, or heat concerns it might be ok.

Do be aware that silicon can make painting problematic if the silicon winds up on an area to be painted later. It's not the end of the world, but you'll save yourself some headaches if you avoid it.

-Brad

5200 by 3M

No paint, no fuel exposure. Just in where the control surfaces require that application of silicone.

A friend used it on his Glastar as recommended for attaching some Fiberglass to metal fairings. I've used it on some RVs. It seems to allow removal of things easier because it doesn't get rock hard
painting over it doesn't seem like problem either.
It doesn't store well though once it's opened.
Larry

I used it to attach my canopy(recommended by Todds Canopies)... it does not break. It is a permanent adhesive, not silicone.

3M 5200

5200 is a polymer adhesive most commonly used in marine applications like bonding the boat deck to the hull. It's great stuff if used correctly.

3m 5200

I used 3M 5200 s as a cosmetic edge seal/fill between my canopy and skirt. I used SikaFlex to attach the canopy to the frame, and skirt to the canopy, but ran out when it was time to do clean up the outside joint. I would have stuck with the Sikaflex, but the 5200 is cheaper and available locally (West Marine stocks it). It went on easily, looks good, and is holding up so far (only 20 hours on the airplane though!).

195 knots, 165 hours and that 3M 5200 is still holding. Great stuff!!!! You can't pull this stuff apart on a 2" joint. Super strong, cheap, easy, paintable, and no cracks.

Back