-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:05 AM

Default Why wouldn’t aft of the canopy be the default position?

Seems to me that aft of the canopy on top of the airplane would be best spot for the GPS antenna. Other then running the coax back there, what would be the downside? Getting the necessary separation from the com antenna that will likely be back there also shouldn’t be an issue.
Wings done for now
Forward Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/young6586
Old 02-13-2021, 10:49 AM

Default Another option

I mounted mine on top of the crossbar which supports the seat backs in the RV 7. In other words, just aft and inboard of the pilots right shoulder. You’ll see the spot. Hope that makes sense. Great performance and easy install, FWIW.
Jim
AFP FI
Hartzel
Dual Emags
Skyview
Dues gladly paid
Old 02-13-2021, 04:45 PM

Finally braved the cold (still around -22C) and went out to the hangar to decide on my antenna mounting location. I've decided to mount it on top of the left front access panel. Will make for an easy installation and check all of the boxes from Garmin's recommendations. I'll install it on Monday along with my GPS 175. Already mounted my SV-ARINC-429 module. Then comes the documenting for the purpose of removing the VFR only operating limit.

Thanks for the lively discussion here, it was very interesting. Not quite primer wars, but close.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 02-18-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzim View Post
I mounted mine on top of the crossbar which supports the seat backs in the RV 7. In other words, just aft and inboard of the pilots right shoulder. You’ll see the spot. Hope that makes sense. Great performance and easy install, FWIW.
Jim
If it works, it works, but it seems like a really big chunk of sky would be masked by the aft top skin, rear bulkhead, and a bit of the sides where the skins curve downwards. Which antenna? The SV-250 or -2020?
Old 02-18-2021, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
With the old non WAAS antenna for the GNS 400 I used to have I never had an issue with GPS reception. As stated in my earlier post, I have been getting GPS dropouts occasionally with the new WAAS antenna for the new GTN 650. Based on what someone said about needing some rearward view of the WAAS antennas for gps reception I looked at my antenna mount. Yep- the WAAS is mounted butted right up against the firewall and actually sits a little underneath the mounting lip for the top cowl.

Thanks to Ironflight, “I suffered lots of drop-outs due (I was told by experts) to the fact the view of satellites to the rear was obstructed by the firewall”- this is exactly what happened to me.

I think I’ll leave it on top of the engine bay just under the top cowl but modify the bracket and move it forward.

Thanks for the as always great info from the forum
When you guys say "dropouts", do you mean loss of all signals? Or degradation of position accuracy? The raw GPS position calculation only needs 4 satellites to get XYZt. I suppose maybe the rearward mask might block the view to a WAAS satellite, which could mess it up, but I'm having trouble envisioning why the GPS solution as a whole would "drop out". Even if you masked a sizeable chunk of the rear view, there are always plenty of GPS sats in view overhead, forward and to the sides to get a fix...

Just piqued my curiousity a bit....
Old 02-19-2021, 08:21 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
When you guys say "dropouts", do you mean loss of all signals? Or degradation of position accuracy? The raw GPS position calculation only needs 4 satellites to get XYZt. I suppose maybe the rearward mask might block the view to a WAAS satellite, which could mess it up, but I'm having trouble envisioning why the GPS solution as a whole would "drop out". Even if you masked a sizeable chunk of the rear view, there are always plenty of GPS sats in view overhead, forward and to the sides to get a fix...

Just piqued my curiousity a bit....
In my case “dropouts” include everything from a message on the IFD 440 saying “GPS Integrity Lost” with continued good position data for the pilot to complete loss of GPS signal and the IFD going into “Ded Reckoning” mode. Now to be completely up front, this most often happens when I have done something that the FAA “system” didn’t expect, like going upside down, which is perfectly legal, but the guys who designed ADS-B didn’t;t appear to anticipate.....

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-19-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
... like going upside down, which is perfectly legal, but the guys who designed ADS-B didn’t;t appear to anticipate.....
Nor the guys who designed GPS.

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
In my case “dropouts” include everything from a message on the IFD 440 saying “GPS Integrity Lost” with continued good position data for the pilot to complete loss of GPS signal and the IFD going into “Ded Reckoning” mode. Now to be completely up front, this most often happens when I have done something that the FAA “system” didn’t expect, like going upside down, which is perfectly legal, but the guys who designed ADS-B didn’t;t appear to anticipate.....

Paul
Wait, are you saying that if I fly inverted I can go into ADSB "private" mode and still be legal? Time to sell my 9 and buy a 7. Inverted cross countries, now there is a trick.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 85% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 02-19-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
... going upside down, which is perfectly legal, but the guys who designed ADS-B didn’t;t appear to anticipate.....

Paul

This here is the best case for installing your antenna on the underside. Simple defense... because I was inverted.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 02-19-2021, 10:16 AM

Some thick paint (not just metallic paint) and even dirty rain when just sitting on the ground can detune these narrow-band antennas. Dirty rain is not a problem in the air because it washes off. So says a personal friend who was an antenna design engineer for Rockwell Collins for 30 years.