What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Halo headset wire repair

FitzRX7

Well Known Member
Hey everyone,

I've worn the Halo headset for the past 3-4 years and have been really happy with it, except that the wire from the volume control to the headset is literally falling apart! The jacket is disintegrating in a bunch of places and I don't want to send it back to Halo to have it replaced with the same garbage wire to just fall apart in another 3-4 years. The plane is kept hangared and covered when it isn't so UV isn't what caused this, just garbage wire.

Anyway, looking for a source for quality 4 conductor shielded headset wire that won't fall apart, I have plenty of time on my hands (thanks COVID) to rewire this thing myself and fix it right. Might even make some changes to the volume adjustments so it doesn't accidentally get bumped all the time.

Thanks for any advice!

Jon

Advise sending it back in. When I had a similar issue on the wires from the jacks to the control box, they explained that they had had similar complaints which prompted finding a different jacketed wire. Might not be the case with the wire you're having trouble with, but they repaired it free, and I've been happy with it since.

Halo

Had a similar issue
Sent the company a picture of the problem, they sent me a cable for free
Outstanding customer support!

I'm happy that they treated you guys right.

Unfortunately when I mentioned the problem to the owner at last years OSH he kindly told me for the $100 service fee they'd be happy to repair the wire. I don't want to pay $100 to get the same garbage wire put back on that I could repair permanently for $15.

If anyone has a recommended wire that would be great, in the mean time I'll try sending their customer service and email to see if they have changed their tune.

Thanks!

Fitz

Last edited:
I sent my Halo in for repair earlier this week. I called him on Monday and he mentioned that they’ve had nearly 100% failure rate on the wire you described... mine included. FedEx reports that the package was received yesterday so I’ll update this thread as soon as the headset is returned to me.

As for wire, I ordered a spool from Mouser over a decade ago. I had to buy way more than I needed such that I only recently used the last of it or I’d send you a few feet for free!

Just this week I used wire from Digikey to fix one of my Halo's. T1244-1-ND Comes in 1m lengths.

No longer a Halo fanboy

Just this week I used wire from Digikey to fix one of my Halo's. T1244-1-ND Comes in 1m lengths.

Yes! Thanks Rocketbob, that looks like the ticket!! If 1m isn't enough it looks like T1244-5-ND is the 5m length. Need to measure mine and see. Thank you thank you thank you!

Also, unhappy to report that Phil or Quiet Technologies responded to my email and did yet again offer to fix the disintegrating wire for $100. I've been a professional/military pilot for almost 20 years now and have never had a headset wire disintegrate but in his response he blamed me, "I am more inclined to to suspect a “chemical” such as a cleaner, or even something like a solvent, lotion or some other chemical that breaks down the rubber". His full email below for your reading pleasure. I'll be buying a CQ1 headset if I ruin this one trying to fix it.

Fitz
N1234R

-----------------
We don’t have a problem with the wires, but I have had a few isolated complaints out of the blue like yours. The wires come from the exact same spools from the exact same wire manufacturer and no general problems noted.

However, since I am aware that it does happen, I am more inclined to to suspect a “chemical” such as a cleaner, or even something like a solvent, lotion or some other chemical that breaks down the rubber. For example, I noticed that my plastic vinyl steering wheel on my 1999 Chevy started to disintegrate in less than a week for some unknown reason. I traced the actual cause back to an “orange scented” mechanics hand cleaner bought at the car parts store was the cause of the problem. Whatever was in that stuff to loosen the grease on my hands, was strong enough to aggressively break down the steering wheel. No matter how clean I thought my hands were, the chemical residue on my hands attacked the plastic and now it is toast...

We now have a super tough outer cable jacket and I bet that will help. However, this upgrade requires an overhaul, and depending on the warranty status, may be as much as $100 for the service.

Send it back with a note explaining the problem and service requested to

Quiet Technologies
122 Timbercrest Drive
Ridgeland, MS 39157

Do not require a signature for delivery
DO include your return address inside the package.

Cheers,

Phil McCandless
Quiet Technologies

Was my response good? Too harsh?
-------------
Hey Phil,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've been a military or professional pilot since 2003, and in that time I have never had a headset wire come apart on me. In fact my daughter wore my headset from 2003 in my dads C-172 just 2 days ago and the wire on it is still intact. Add to that fact I've never worn lotion on my face, or really used any other chemicals for that matter except regular bath soap.

So while I appreciate your theories and am sorry your Chevy is falling apart (but it's kinda what they do), I am not appreciative of the offer to replace $5 worth of sub-par wire on my headset for $100 (but I admire your business model). You won't be getting my headset in the mail, and you won't be getting any more business from me. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Jon,
We'll be here when you're ready. I have no such concerns for the cables used on the CQ1. We have samples of our cables on a fixture that has been outside in the Texas sun for years and still look and feel nearly new. These are just some of the details that can be lost in price and the 50' view comparison.

Yes! Thanks Rocketbob, that looks like the ticket!! If 1m isn't enough it looks like T1244-5-ND is the 5m length. Need to measure mine and see. Thank you thank you thank you!

1m is adequate.

There is another version of this cable with TPU insulation: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/tensility-international-corp/30-00490/T1318-1-ND/5819502

Don't know if its better.

I've had a number of failures over the years with Halos and have had them repaired by Phil at no charge. He's certainly been good to me. In all cases the failures have been due to normal wear and tear, certainly not abused.

Bob,

When you replaced the cable did you open the control box and the headband and solder the new cable in or did you just cut the old cable near the control box and headband and splice the new wires to the old?

I'm a bit concerned about the headband end.

Jim Butcher

The most difficult part of this is soldering the new wires onto the little audio transducers. The solder pads are quite small, and the component is intolerant of excessive heating. So you have to be precise and quick with the soldering iron. I would suspect that rainman at Halo would be unwilling to sell you a replacement transducer and enclosure. Attached are pics of the inside of the volume unit and the solder pads of the transducer. Also included the repaired/modified headset before I enclosed the transducer in custom mold-at-home earplug material. The sound quality/comfort is now exceptional, I'll probably have some professional in-ear monitor style molds made as I'm so happy with the sound/comfort.

Attachments

• 2A81859F-1D80-41E2-8A5F-863BE304BA7B.jpeg
    2A81859F-1D80-41E2-8A5F-863BE304BA7B.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 208
  • 78DB5AD1-A3DD-436E-AF24-4305EB8E176C.jpg
    78DB5AD1-A3DD-436E-AF24-4305EB8E176C.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 207
  • C3078BFC-7B1E-4B21-ACD3-4C76B89EB2DB.jpeg
    C3078BFC-7B1E-4B21-ACD3-4C76B89EB2DB.jpeg
    932.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
It looks easier than an iPhone repair. There is a woman on youtube that does some amazing soldering using a stereoscopic magnifier. "iPad Rehab" is the channel, here is an example.

I am not sure I could do either one. A simple iPad battery replacement looks daunting.

Ha, maybe the company that makes the perfectly consistent wire should make crankshafts.

Halo shirt cliip

Not trying to hijack this thread but what have others done to replace the shirt clip? Mine fell apart.

Not trying to hijack this thread but what have others done to replace the shirt clip? Mine fell apart.

Paul,
Send a note to your manufacturer, surely they'll just drop you a couple in the mail. If they won't... ping me at the link below.

QT Halo states they do not supply the clips anymore. What the heck?

Its because the new ones use a much heavier braided cable, which incidentally makes the cable tug more. I bought some clips on Amazon which work fine, but the part that clips onto the cable is not the right diameter.

Paul,
Send a note to your manufacturer, surely they'll just drop you a couple in the mail. If they won't... ping me at the link below.

Just to let everyone know. Scott offered to send me a clip for my QT Halo even though he is the competitor. I felt funny about this so I placed and order from his website. Scott saw the order, refunded my credit card, and sent me two in the mail complimentary. They worked great on the flights from VCT to ELP and back over Christmas. Seven hours total. No more cable tugging.

I know which brand of headsets I will be purchasing next time.

Thanks Scott

A few years later, another failed QT Halo

The insulation on my Halo's wires has failed in several places. Quiet Technologies says they "can perform simple repairs if at all possible," and the charge will be "a minimum of $90 if the damage involves the main cable running to the headband" (which it does, among other locations).

I wonder what the maximum charge would be.

No thanks.

The insulation on my Halo's wires has failed in several places. Quiet Technologies says they "can perform simple repairs if at all possible," and the charge will be "a minimum of $90 if the damage involves the main cable running to the headband" (which it does, among other locations).

I wonder what the maximum charge would be.

No thanks.

Pretty sure Halo is using defective or substandard wiring. You can do this repair yourself if you’re handy with a soldering iron, and you can buy proper wire that’s skin contact rated.

If you don’t go that route, I highly recommend Cards headsets, Card Machine Works. Cqheadset.com. RV folks that I’m certain will stand behind their stuff.

Fitz

Back