What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need GRT Genius Help

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
I know GRT EFIS systems have a record/play back functionality and I would like to put that capability to use. At AirVenture I purchased the EAA Flight Test Manual and Check List. When I purchased my RV7A from its original builder/owner the POH was - shall I be kind and say - slim! It was composed of a few pages of basic checklists obviously copied from someone else. No initial 40 hour flight test information was available and the log book sign off was ?weak.? I?ve now owned the aircraft 4 1/2 years and feel fairly comfortable with it. It flys great!

I have, through a lot of plagiarism and study of the ?RV Training Syllabus? downloaded from this forum and other forum POH examples, put together a pretty decent POH. However the numbers are from other people?s RVs - not my own. Examples: Vso, Vs, Vx, Vy and Engine Out Glide Performance are from external RV sources and not truly from flight test data of this aircraft. Rich of peak/Lean of peak fuel flows, patten MPs for different configurations, etc are all from other sources.

My summer/fall project is to update the POH I put together the using the EAA Flight Test Manual and recorded data downloaded on my GRT EFIS systems on USB drives. I want to use this data to make charts and graphs for updating the POH to reflect current configuration and weight of my RV.

Here?s the rub. I tried importing DEMO data delimited files into Excel software to test this idea and the results were gibberish. I used to be pretty good with Excel but what I?m trying to accomplish isn?t working. I need help!

The DEMO files I tried to upload into Excel have a lot of strange characters and not a lot of ?delimited values.? I have ?played ? the DEMO files on my EFIS and they seemto have the information there because it?s like watching the flight I actually flew. This is nice but not sufficient for my purposes. I want data!

Has anyone with the GRT system used the Demo-record/play function to save data and if so how did you then get access to that data? Does it matter which ?screen? is being displayed as to what data is captured? If anyone has done this please help!

Go to: <grtavionics.com>, then click on <support>, click on "Misc software", then click on "Demo file decoder". You can download, then run, the decoder file. It will produce an output file which is Excel-readable.
As I recall this program only runs on a PC, but the output can be transported (I used a thumb drive) over to a Mac and read into an Excel spreadsheet on the Mac. Very useful for producing graphs of EGT (by cylinder) vs fuel flow, etc.

Last edited:
Jim,
You can also download the savy analysis (https://www.savvyanalysis.com/home) app. Go to the website and download their free app. Then you can import your GRT data files into it and see all the data displayed. You can compare many different parameters against all the data. It is very user friendly.

Flight Data Log

You can also turn on the FLT DATA LOG and it keeps a log of all your flight and engine parameters in an EXCEL file. I don't remember exactly where to turn it on and off in the SETUP menu, but I think it is labeled DATA LOG and can be turned ON/OFF.
The file is automatically saved to your USB drive and is named
GRT FLT DATA LOG. I have mine set to save every 12 seconds and you can set that intervals.
It saves these
Version Tick Date Time Latitude Longitude Ground Speed Track Magnetic Variation GPS Altitude Desired Track Cross Track Error Roll Pitch Magnetic Heading Magnetic Field Heading Pressure Altitude Indicated Altitude Vertical Speed Density Altitude Indicated Airspeed True Airspeed Normal Acceleration OAT Wind Speed Wind Direction RPM1/N1 RPM2/N2 CHT1 CHT2 CHT3 CHT4 CHT5 CHT6 EGT1 EGT2 EGT3 EGT4 EGT5 EGT6 Fuel Flow Fuel Total Carb Temp Oil Temp Oil Pressure Coolant Temp Hourmeter EIS Volts Aux1 Aux2 Aux3 Aux4 Aux5 Aux6 Volt 1 Volt2 Volt3

Last edited:
What Jerry said, plus ...

Just be sure to check the recording interval. I think it is now possible to record as fast as every 100 msec. DEFINITELY as granular as every second.

The file type as I also recall is ".csv" so you can import to Excel or other data analysis tools.

You can also turn on the FLT DATA LOG and it keeps a log of all your flight and engine parameters in an EXCEL file. I don't remember exactly where to turn it on and off in the SETUP menu, but I think it is labeled DATA LOG and can be turned ON/OFF.
The file is automatically saved to your USB drive and is named
GRT FLT DATA LOG. I have mine set to save every 12 seconds and you can set that intervals.
It saves these
Version Tick Date Time Latitude Longitude Ground Speed Track Magnetic Variation GPS Altitude Desired Track Cross Track Error Roll Pitch Magnetic Heading Magnetic Field Heading Pressure Altitude Indicated Altitude Vertical Speed Density Altitude Indicated Airspeed True Airspeed Normal Acceleration OAT Wind Speed Wind Direction RPM1/N1 RPM2/N2 CHT1 CHT2 CHT3 CHT4 CHT5 CHT6 EGT1 EGT2 EGT3 EGT4 EGT5 EGT6 Fuel Flow Fuel Total Carb Temp Oil Temp Oil Pressure Coolant Temp Hourmeter EIS Volts Aux1 Aux2 Aux3 Aux4 Aux5 Aux6 Volt 1 Volt2 Volt3

For those of you who may have an older GRT EFIS, please note that the FLT DATA LOG is only available on the newer models (HXr/HX/SX/EX/Mini) - at least according to a post by Jeff from GRT on GRTAvionics forum. Had me scratching my head wondering why I couldn't find this option on my Horizon 1 WS until I did a little Googling.

Regards,
Rob

I?m heading to my hangar early next week to check things out. I tried the Savvy Analysis that Steve recommended and could only upload files to that website. I need the ability to upload them into Excel.

I also tried to download the demo file decoder and either I'm too dumb to make it work or there is something not quite right with this approach. Does anyone have experience with this ?decoder file? to help me figure things out?

If memory serves me correct, several years ago I downloaded some flight files from my GRT WS and was able to upload them into Excel. But I?m having trouble now doing it. I wonder if a software upgrade changed this. Where would I look for flight data log recording capability?

Back