What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Slider side rails.

I have searched and cannot find this question so will start a new thread. I have the bends in the canopy slider frame very close except for a problem arose. The instructions in Section 9 page 10 state that "The vertical distance from the canopy frame side bows to the F-721B canopy deck should vary by no more than 1/8 inch from front to back". With everything in place, mine is off by 1/4 inch; the front measurement being 2.5 inches and the rear is 2.25 inches. The only way I can see to remedy this is to bend the side bows just rear of the weld where they meet the canopy frame front bow. I'm concerned I could break it at the weld. Is this a good idea? Thanks everyone.

Not near my plans or plane right now but I think I understand your question. How is your front hoop of the slider to roll bar? as I recall, I had to cut the front hoop (where the rollers insert into the frame) by maybe ~.0125 to get the height correct for the roll bar and the height to canopy deck

Thanks Dan. I?ve already trimmed the front canopy posts to the point that I would not want to go further because from the side view it looks like a perfect transition from the canopy bubble to the windscreen.

the closer they get toward the rear will pinch the slider as it rolls back and it will get harder to push. You should put your slider on and see if it rolls freely. might even be able to shave some thickness of the roller. I recall mine being close to 1/4" but everything worked out fine. Any more it wouldn't have though.

Mine is about 3/16 to 1/4 difference and I don't have any problem sliding canopy and everything seems to fit well. I'm not sure what the motive for this statement in the plans is.

Last edited:
Back