What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting -9A to -9

Dbro172

Well Known Member
I am thinking of converting my trike to a taildragger.

1. Do you think I will need to re-do the wheel pants and main landing gear fairings?

2. Is their any risk or concern that the engine is no longer perfectly mated to the cowling?

Other than that I think it is pretty simple, perhaps the most time consuming will be disconnecting the engine, exhaust, controls, wiring, tie wraps, etc. involved with changing out the engine mount. I see that I will need to remove my tail tie down ring and bracket and install a WD-409 tail spring holder. I will leave my main landing gear brackets in place and just remove the gear legs. Probably need to reconfigure the brake lines. Should I start at the tail, or the engine?

Do a search on the subject. This conversation has been done on both -7A's and -9A's.

The people who have done this will be able to answer your questions and give you a good insight into what to expect.

Been there, done that. Definitely worth removing the old gear towers - more legroom and 15 pounds lighter.

Check (shown on plans) that you have the VS spar that has NOT been lightened, otherwise you will need to replace that, which means some disassembly and reassembly.

You will need to realign the wheel pants. Might be able to reuse the leg fairings, but will need realignment as well. Or you might have to buy/fabricate new leg fairings (9 legs are longer than 9A legs). Intersection fairings may or may not be reusable.

Engine will be fine unless you have some sort of odd engine mount that is not standard - at least mine fit perfectly with the new engine mount when I changed over.

Yes, will need to reconfigure brake lines, and may require new ones if yours are flexible lines rather than aluminum.

Happy to answer any questions you might have, either here or by PM/email.

Thanks,

I have a QB fuse, like yours. I purchased the tail wheel bracket so I can tinker with it and see how to fit it in the rear end. Bummer about the fiberglass, was hoping to not have to go there, with a painted plane and all... I cant remember, do I NOT need to unbolt the wings to remove the main landing gear brackets? I remember how difficult it was driving home the wing attach bolts and wouldn?t even consider removing the wing bolts, I think it would do more harm than good.

To respond...
1. Do you think I will need to re-do the wheel pants and main landing gear fairings?

The fuselage/gear intersection fairing needs to be replaced.
The gear leg fairing needs to be about an inch longer.

2. Is their any risk or concern that the engine is no longer perfectly mated to the cowling?

Yes, mine was mismatched. Others were not. Mine was more on the top cowling which was now short. I had to extend & realign the piano hinge

Last edited:
9A to 9

I removed the most aft double bulkhead to install the tail spring mount. The parts are inexpensive so I just bought new ones. While you are in there you should do the reinforcement mod around the inspection plate hole. I have photos I can send you.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I have a bit over 2000 hours in tailwheel RV's and to be honest enjoy the easy landing qualities and great visibility in the flare of the 9A. Why change it?

Back