What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommendation for cylinder hydro testing in SF Bay area

Mark Albery

Well Known Member
My (as new) Aerox bottle is now past its 5 year, so needs a DOT test and re-marking if I want to get it commercially re-filled.

Has anyone got recommendations in the Bay area for getting this done? I've previously had it filled at the Scuba shop in Sunnyvale, but not sure if they do the testing.

Thanks.

The same scuba shop that you fill at will have their preferred hydro facility. Given youre getting a 100% O2 fill at a scuba shop (which is pretty high speed for a dive shop), I'd def check with them first.

In the past (it's been, in fact, 5 years; mine is due too) I used the Airport Shoppe at Reid-Hillview. Store is out on the street, easy walk from transient tie-down. Or drive. They send it out somewhere; no idea of current cost. I'd call first and see if they still do this.

When I lived in SoCAL, I had my O2 tank Hydro tested at the Dive Shop in Redondo Beach. The cost was less than an airport shop. Phone around and see what Dive Shops & aircraft shops charge then take it to the one that you think is the best for you.

I checked with Pacific Scuba Divers in Sunnyvale and it's $45 with them.
So it looks like I'll pay them a visit and get a refill at the same time.

Unfortunately no free refills from the vendors at SNF this year, and they probably would decline me with an out of check cylinder anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

David - I almost called by yesterday, returning from SNF via Big Bear, but after 5,000 miles of x-country flying I opted to go home instead. See you at OSH?

Yup see you there! Oh and the place in Redondo Beach that does the testing is called dive and surf, in case you get desperate.

Back