What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yet another ADS-b solution?

I have a steam gauge panel and I like it that way. I'm staying old school. But the GRT Mini-X has got my attention. It will go in a standard inst hole and reportedly can be paired with the NavWorx ADS 6000-XP for a panel-mounted ADS-in traffic display. Has any one tried this?

I have a steam gauge panel and I like it that way. I'm staying old school. But the GRT Mini-X has got my attention. It will go in a standard inst hole and reportedly can be paired with the NavWorx ADS 6000-XP for a panel-mounted ADS-in traffic display. Has any one tried this?

The MINI-X does not fit in a standard 3 1/8" hole.
(The MINI-GA does but it has NO pitot static ... everything is GPS based.)

On the other hand, the MINI will display WEATHER and TRAFFIC on the MAP page if it is feed via either serial or USB port.

The NavWorx should work just fine as it has been supported by GRT for quite some time.

James

UPDATE

The MINI-X does not fit in a standard 3 1/8" hole.
(The MINI-GA does but it has NO pitot static ... everything is GPS based.)

On the other hand, the MINI will display WEATHER and TRAFFIC on the MAP page if it is feed via either serial or USB port.

The NavWorx should work just fine as it has been supported by GRT for quite some time.

James

And update based on fact that GRT mentions it in recently released documentation.

The MINI-GA supports an optional, REMOTE pitot/static module. IF this is added then you do in fact have pitot static support on the MINI-GA as is on the other MINIs.

James

Thank you. I'm trying to decide now which round dial gets sacrificed to make way for the Mini. I think I can do without that extra VOR/LOC indicator.

I looked at the Mini displays presented in the operator's manual and concluded that it was too small to adequately show traffic. The pictures in the manual were indecipherable to me.

Dave

I agree with that. But the alternative is a panel retro-fit, which I have decided against, or an I-pad, which I can't read in bright daylight. I'm going to continue looking into the Mini.

Does the GRT mini give 'pop up' and audio traffic alerts, the way the Hx and HXr do? If so, your proposed set up should be fine for traffic.
I'd put the wx on the iPad via wifi. When you want to look at it you can take your time and move it out of direct sunlight. Plus, when you really want the wx, it's not likely to be too sunny!

Does the GRT mini give 'pop up' and audio traffic alerts, the way the Hx and HXr do? If so, your proposed set up should be fine for traffic.
I'd put the wx on the iPad via wifi. When you want to look at it you can take your time and move it out of direct sunlight. Plus, when you really want the wx, it's not likely to be too sunny!

Yes, the MINI does the "pop ups" when traffic is within two miles.

Remember, traffic density on the display is a function of zoom level. I have had no issues with it.

One other matter to keep in mind. CHECK the DISTANCE from the edge of one round display to another. The rectangular dimension of the MINI is just a bit wider.

james

Back