Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2020, 09:52 AM

Default Opinions on my RV-12 panel (Garmin GPS 175??)

Wishing a very Happy New Year to all my RV friends and the VAF/Van's community. I have not been an active instrument pilot for over 30 years (I let my CFII expire in 1988) and I find myself missing the IFR world. I was recently asked to be a safety pilot for my neighbor in his V35 Bonanza, as he did 3 approaches at a few of the local airports. It was the first time I ever got to experience an RNAV GPS approach (they did not exist in General Aviation in 1988). I only knew ILS, LOC, VOR and NDB approaches. I never wanted to add Nav radios to my panel, I was just happy to build my little VFR RV-12. My ELSA OpLims were issued with the IFR/IMC approval if I have the required 91.205(d) equipment.

Now I really want to install a certified GPS navigator in my panel and I'm looking for opinions/experience. I think I have settled on the new 175 from Garmin, it's only 2" high and 6" wide and only has a current draw of .6 - .9 amps which is good for my anemic 912ULS electrical system.

I have a Dynon dual Skyview panel. I'd like to install the 175 in the upper center of my panel. It should integrate with my Dynon EFIS via an ARINC-429 module. I have to make room, so I think I will relocate or just remove my knob modules. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated. I am including a picture of my panel as it looks today. I removed the map box and added the 2nd EFIS about 6 months after I built the plane. I could easily be overlooking something and I really respect the experience/knowledge out there. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas, general or specific. Paul

Old 12-31-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstraub View Post
Wishing a very Happy New Year to all my RV friends and the VAF/Van's community. I have not been an active instrument pilot for over 30 years (I let my CFII expire in 1988) and I find myself missing the IFR world. I was recently asked to be a safety pilot for my neighbor in his V35 Bonanza, as he did 3 approaches at a few of the local airports. It was the first time I ever got to experience an RNAV GPS approach (they did not exist in General Aviation in 1988). I only knew ILS, LOC, VOR and NDB approaches. I never wanted to add Nav radios to my panel, I was just happy to build my little VFR RV-12. My ELSA OpLims were issued with the IFR/IMC approval if I have the required 91.205(d) equipment.

Now I really want to install a certified GPS navigator in my panel and I'm looking for opinions/experience. I think I have settled on the new 175 from Garmin, it's only 2" high and 6" wide and only has a current draw of .6 - .9 amps which is good for my anemic 912ULS electrical system.

I have a Dynon dual Skyview panel. I'd like to install the 175 in the upper center of my panel. It should integrate with my Dynon EFIS via an ARINC-429 module. I have to make room, so I think I will relocate or just remove my knob modules. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated. I am including a picture of my panel as it looks today. I removed the map box and added the 2nd EFIS about 6 months after I built the plane. I could easily be overlooking something and I really respect the experience/knowledge out there. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas, general or specific. Paul

Paul I was thinking the same thing, add a Garmin GPS 175 on the center stack. I would love to train in the IFR environment and fly IFR on a nice day X country. It is definitely cheeper and easter to install the say a GTN 650. I was talking about it with the Garmin guys and the GPS 175 is going to be connected to the system via RS-232 to the GDU and ARINC 429 to the GAD 29. Not sure how it will integrate with the Dynon Skyview?
N112DR (RV-12iS)
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020
Phase I Finished on 5/7/2020

Need:
Paint?
Serial#12-0864
https://youtube.com/c/CraftingN112DR
VAF donation made for 2021
Old 12-31-2020, 11:42 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the comments, good things to think about. With the AP knob module, I would find another spot for it. The other knob module is just a convenience and I could live without it if I can't find room.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:13 PM

You may be able to mount the Garmin 175 above the Com radio and then purchase the Dynon horizontal AP control to mount above that.
Paid 2020
Old 12-31-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&M Dan View Post
You may be able to mount the Garmin 175 above the Com radio and then purchase the Dynon horizontal AP control to mount above that.
That's a good point, I could sell the vertical module and buy the horizontal. I will look at that spacing. Thanks!!
Old 12-31-2020, 06:46 PM

You could also sell the spare Dynon SkyView Touch and lighten your current load and strain on the Voltage Regulator, too, before adding the Garmin 196.
2012 RV-12, #212 N72DJ KWHP based.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:21 PM

Paul:

Very attractive instrument panel.

What is the coating on it? Any suggestions on applying it? How is it lasting?

Where did you get the black screws?

Thanks.

Brett H
Columbus, IN
Old 02-01-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett H View Post
Paul:
Very attractive instrument panel.
What is the coating on it? Any suggestions on applying it? How is it lasting?
Hi Brett, it's .5mm carbon fiber panel. It will have adhesive backing already attached. It comes from Protech Composites in Vancouver, WA (http://www.protechcomposites.com/) They will lay it out exactly to your panel and CNC cut it. My panel was 3 pieces of the carbon fiber and it cost me about $230 total. They do awesome work, so I highly recommend them. It has held up very well, it's been over 3 years since I installed it. Definitely worth a phone call. Paul