What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forgot to break lap joint

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
I forgot to break the aft fuse side skins prior to dimpling. Is there any good way to break the edges after dimpling? I've got them clecoed in place right now and it's obvious (to me anyway) that the skins aren't laying as flush as possible. Would using wingnut clecoes while riveting provide any more benefit than using standard spring type clecoes to pull the skin together as close as possible?

I think most of us have done that at some point. I assume you are referring to rolling the edge for a tight join.
It's quite easy to put a slight bend on the edge by hand by sliding a piece of 2 by 4 along the edge. Align the sheet along the edge of your bench and just give it a rub. Experiment with the pressure - it doesn't take much.
For most applications I prefer this to the rolling tool.

I'll be stealing that one too!

Just to clarify what I did:

I cut about a 1/4" groove in a 6" long piece of scrap 2x4. I slid the edge in the groove and bent the skin down while holding the rest of the skin flat on the table. It didn't give a sharp bend but it bent the edge enough to sit nice and flush once installed.

Back