What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

T-Mobile Sim card for Switchbox

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - any of you electronics gurus know if there is anything special with the T-Mobile Sim Card used in the Switchbox? I need a new one, and would rather just head to the local Walmart, as opposed to ordering one from Switchbox.

Thanks,
Jason

Hey - any of you electronics gurus know if there is anything special with the T-Mobile Sim Card used in the Switchbox? I need a new one, and would rather just head to the local Walmart, as opposed to ordering one from Switchbox.

Thanks,
Jason

nothing special, but every time I've had to talk with T-Mobile they assume every sim is going in a phone and can't comprehend a custom SMS device built into another device.

I've had to explain to customer support that I can't send them a text from the device, and no, I can't look up specific information on the display.

good luck

I'm in the same position as Jason. Let the original card expire and would also rather just go pick one up. Its snowing tonight here in Howell MI !!!:mad:

I just get them from the local T-mobile. Usually 10 bucks but they're only good for 3 months. I've tried to add time to the card but it's tough. If you try and do it online, they want to send to send you a confirmation text or something like that. Since the switchbox does not have a display, you can't get it. You could call them I guess but life it too short to fight through all the automated stuff, wait on hold, then try to explain your predicament to 2 or 3 overseas customer service reps. No thanks!!

Here is what I found: My original sim card that came with the unit is still good. My original phone number for the Switchbox is now being used by someone else. The T-mobile rep gave me a new TX and re-activated my sim card. He told me to go to a CVS or anyplace that carries the pre-pay plan cards and get the one for $10 and call and activate it to my the TX he gave me. The $10 is good for 3 months of service and the account will remain open for an additional 70 days before they close it out if I do not add more $$ to it within that 70 days. The guy I talked to was very helpful and seemed familiar with using it for the purpose I told him what it was for.

Prepaid phone

Has anyone tried buying a prepaid T-mobile phone from Wal-mart for $25? Should come with a sim and you will have the phone in case you have a problem or forget to renew.

Andy

I like the disposable phone route, good thinking Andy. For the last 2 yrs, I have a quarterly reminder set on my IPhone to recharge the account. There is an online method that doesn't require a texted password to add $10/quarter.
However, you can't create an online account to login and check the balance without receiving a texted password.... So, I just 'unlocked' one of my old att phones and put the TMobile SIM in it to get the password. Voila!

Love my Switchbox!!

Hey guys,

If anyone needs any more 'differences' explained between our T-Mobile card and the store bought one, let me know

P

Thanks for all the good words guys.

More features and updates coming with all the help here

Maybe we can monitor temp, current draw and more values remotely for everyone
P

Back