What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to fix a gas can...

All of this is why I hate and am scared to death of all the fuel transferring required to calibrate fuel tanks. I think we are lucky we don't hear of more accidents related to the practice....

All of this is why I hate and am scared to death of all the fuel transferring required to calibrate fuel tanks. I think we are lucky we don't hear of more accidents related to the practice....

Since we don't hear of more accidents, maybe the risk isn't as high as we might think if common sense is part of our routine.

Do we worry about fires when pouring gasoline into our lawn equipment?

By the way, I had the airport fuel truck incrementally fill my RV-6 tanks during calibration.

Last edited:
I will absolutely never fuel my plane inside a hangar....hope others won't either. Probably violates code at most airports.

I know several airports that do not want you to fuel your own aircraft anywhere, inside or outside! One of the airports is a flyin community and it is in their housing covenants.

By the way, I had the airport fuel truck incrementally fill my RV-6 tanks during calibration.

I did mine at the gas pumps since we do not have a fuel truck....the first time.

The second go round I had to drain the fuel that was in the tanks. Calibrate the Princeton sender unit empty point, fill the tanks and calibrate the full point and then drain it out again incrementally to calibrate the EMS system. Oh and then fill it back up for flight....

Fueling

The race events where we compete have strict regulations for gassing. Gassing may only be done on the hot side of the pit wall or at the pumps. Only five gallon approved race cans are allowed. No more than four over the pit wall. Any crew within 20' must be in full Nomex race gear including shoes and gloves with the helmet visor down. One crew must be holding the fire extinguisher pointed at the gasser with pin pulled ready to fire. No gassing at the pits, period. I've never seen an accident and we give the process a lot of respect. Typically, we dump 10 gallons, change drivers and take off in less than 5 minutes. It's not Nascar but pretty fast. I treat gassing at home and the gas station with respect too. I once had an idiot at a school bus gas pump, flick a lighter near the tank while it was being filled. Yes, the pump nossle caught on fire and the tank spout caught, but no explosion. The idiot took off running. I managed to get the extinguisher on it pretty quick and put everything out. My guardian angel was with me. Seriously, be careful around all flamables.

Hmmm does this mean i should fill the back of my truck with gas cans and drive south of the border? would someone please post a picture of these spills more fuel then the old but newer and improved spouts please? what you may be able to do is look online for canadian supliers with replacement spouts and just have them shipped to you. just match brands.

High quality nozzles are also available for these cans. The nozzles have the same locking feature as the lid.

One of my customers had the misfortune to store his "hurricane" gas in plastic 5 gallon cans [the older style] outside. This past winter, he blindly poured the fuel into his minivan. He had to tow it to my shop. I pumped out 19 gallons of fuel and 6 gallons of water! :eek: 'Nuff said.

Charlie

My nozzle for that type of can has a very leaky gasket. Do you know where to buy a new gasket?

My nozzle for that type of can has a very leaky gasket. Do you know where to buy a new gasket?

Danny,
Sorry, I've never had to replace a gasket. I would suggest contacting one of the sellers on EBay, your local Army/Navy Surplus store or simply make your own. Remove the gasket to measure how thick it is. Purchase a 1 square foot piece of the same thickness Viton rubber from McMaster-Carr or MSC. Use the original gasket as a template and cut a new one out of the material you purchased. That 1 square foot of rubber will give you a lifetime supply of gaskets.
Charlie

That sounds like a great Idea Charlie. I just placed an order at mcmaster for work supplies, I will have to wait for the next order. Thank you.

hey guys and gals, did some snooping and found this, not sure if this helps but ya never know, hope it solves your gas can woes

http://ezpourspout.com/wp/

may be worth a look.

Thanks Kevin!

It looks like I'll be ordering some "water" spouts, since I live in one of those states that is sensitive to these things.

It looks like a cheap Blitz container and one of these will fit the bill perfectly.

bob

Hmmm does this mean i should fill the back of my truck with gas cans and drive south of the border? would someone please post a picture of these spills more fuel then the old but newer and improved spouts please? what you may be able to do is look online for canadian supliers with replacement spouts and just have them shipped to you. just match brands.

Do you mean that Canadians can still get real gas cans? As far as I knew, the only Canadian mfg was Wedco in Quebec, who made super cans. But several years ago, they got bought by a US company who then moved the manufacturing to USA and that company no longer makes the good old cans or even nozzles for them. Generally, it isn't the cans that wear out, it's the nozzles and gaskets.

If there's a Canadian company still making old-fashioned "real" gas cans, do you have brand name/web site/etc info?

This gas can situation is just like the toilet situation back in the 1990s. After our nanny government made it so we could only buy "low flow" toilets that didn't work worth a ****, I drove up to Ontario and bought a toilet. Eventually, US mfg figured out how to make low flow toilets work and now US ones are OK. Maybe a gas can mfg will eventually make "safe" cans that actually work.

I should have realized this was coming years ago. California of course was the first place you couldn't buy real gas cans, so about 10 years ago I bought a couple good ones in NH and took them with me as checked baggage to CA. Now all you can get anywhere in New England is the crappy ones that don't work. I kick myself for not seeing that and buying more of the good cans then.

These are some great suggestions on this thread.

I received those little "plugs" advertised on eBay and listed in one of the early posts on this thread. It took me about 5 minutes to retrofit 6 cans. SWEET !

I only have one old style nozzle but that is fine. I can only empty one can at a time anyway.

Hi Brian quick answer same brands you have down there, but most of the cans I have around the house are Scepter ( sp )and Wedco, but we dont have the pesky EPA here so they still make the same old working spouts at 1/10 the cost for Export use, and include the EPA legal spouts for sale in the US, and charge us the same price as you, plus 15% canadian fee even thou the buck is pretty much equal. but the fee is a different rant about prices.

I know that is not exactly the answer you wanted, but its the truth. same cans, REAL spouts not the new and improved USA ONLY EPA legal ones.

edited for this.
Scepter Corporation Head Office
170 Midwest Road
Scarborough, Ontario
Canada M1P 3A9
Phone: (416) 751-9445
Toll Free: 1-800-387-6018
Fax: (416) 751-4451

Last edited:
Back