What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3 Ignition

acwrench

Does anyone out there have experience using the G3 Ignition system?
This system is capable of using the existing mag system and runs a dual electronic ignition system until time of loss of electrical or EI system then converts to the original magneto system.

Any thoughts
Pat in Calgary

Yes

Does anyone out there have experience using the G3 Ignition system?
This system is capable of using the existing mag system and runs a dual electronic ignition system until time of loss of electrical or EI system then converts to the original magneto system.

Any thoughts
Pat in Calgary

My neighbor has one in his Glasair with IO 360. He loves it. I'm going to put the system on a 390 on my new 7.

Also, Larry Vetterman is using the system.

I have it and really like it too. On another note, Thomas has been great with the few questions I had. A nice simple, and effective system.

JC

Question...

Is using a G3 the same as adding E Mags for the performance stand point but with a magneto backup if there is a failure? I have an O-360 in my 9A and would love to have an electronic ignation but the G3 is if nothing interesting. Any pro's or con's between the two solutions?

Thanks,

I installed a G3i ignition system on my O-320 fixed pitch RV-4 last week. It does exactly what I expected. Smoother idle, gained 50 rpm static, gained 140 fpm climb @ 120 mph and WOT @ 8,000 ft I gained 3.3 mph. I don't have a fuel flow gaug. In 2 weeks I plan to fly from Arkansas to EL Paso. I'll know about fuel savings after that trip. So far I'm happy.

Gerald

FWF

Where have you guys mounted the guts of the system? FWF, or aft of the firewall?

Hey Jim,

It is designed to be mounted FWF. Very cool. The "Brain Box" isn't very big.

The Slicks need to be slightly modified. You can do them yourself or send them and they will do the necessary mods for $65. I'm sending mine in.

Thanks Darwin. I talked extensively to Tom at Osh and am about 90% sure I'm going to install the system in my -8. Looks really slick since it reverts to the Slicks if the G3i fails. Trying to figure a downside which if there is one it has not occurred to me. Plus it's not wasted spark which I'm not a fan of.

I mounted mine on the back side of the firewall. I didn't have enough room on the front side. I also ordered the seris 1 system that is in 3 parts, because the seris 2 box was too large. I also sent my mags to Thomas for the mod.

Gerald

I also ordered the seris 1 system that is in 3 parts, because the seris 2 box was too large.

If I buy the G3i it will likely be the Series 1 (3 piece system), although I'm waiting on my next oil change (due within 10 hours) to remove the cowl for a look-see for mounting locations for the Series 1 as well as the Series 2. If anyone has anything negative to say about this system I'd sure appreciate hearing it. But all I have heard so far has been all positive.

Larry must really like the system because he included a brochure of it when I received my exhaust system. I'll have to take a closer look at it for the benefits. Now would be the time to make a change as I'm working on my FWF components as well as wiring.

Just got off the phone with Thomas. Very smart guy with a clever idea.

The system is basically a mag bypass. When it's on, it prevents the mag from firing itself and routes the pickup to the MSD box and then routes the coil signal back from the MSD box to the coil.

So you get MSD ignition when it's on, and mag ignition when it's off. Because it fires both mags at the same time from one pickup, your ignition is always perfectly sync'd.

The MSD box provides spark for 20* crankshaft rotation which is why it's smoother and has better idle, but this system does not add timing advance.

You can buy the MSD start retard module or MSD timing control module to change the timing if you want, but it's not an automatic timing change like other EI modules.

I like this system the best because of how it bypasses the existing mag and allows you to connect an external ignition box. It's simple and effective.

schu

My G3i Install

Hey all, sorry for the poor cell phone pic but my camera went TU last week.

ANywhoooo... here is a pic of my G3i install:

IMG_0004.JPG

this past week I flew down to Mattituck and ran it in their test cell. Everything was "temp'ed" up on a board that we wire tied to the test cell engine frame.

Thanks to both Thomas at G3i for answering all my stupid questions and Mahlon and all the folks at Mattituck for being so accommodating to my needs.

I was able to switch the system on and off from the test console and observe the changes in the engine's performance. I can't wait to fly behind it and see what it can and will do at altitude!

I like this installation location because it keeps all my wire runs as short as possible and maintains distance from the radios. My noise filter capacitor will likely be installed just beneath the MSD box.

Engine is being installed now and I will keep you posted!

OUT!

:cool: CJ

Last edited:
this past week I flew down to Mattituck and ran it in their test cell. Everything was "temp'ed" up on a board that we wire tied to the test cell engine frame.

Thanks to both Thomas at G3i for answering all my stupid questions and Mahlon and all the folks at Mattituck for being so accommodating to my needs.

I was able to switch the system on and off from the test console and observe the changes in the engine's performance. I can't wait to fly behind it and see what it can and will do at altitude!
:cool: CJ

not fair captain John! how about some of the details of the test cell results? is it set up for fuel flow? did it make much difference in hp??

Sorry guys! I guess I didn't fill you in on all the details.

Mattituck does NOT dyno each engine that gets tested in their cell. In fact, I don't even know if they HAVE a dyno. Needless to say I cannot give you a HP number. The engine is an ECi TMX IO-360 with a Superior FF Sump with factory compression. Pure and simple, kind of boring. It SHOULD produce 180 hp all day long. I think any man would agree that perhaps a couple of ponies are likely added with any EI system.

What I noticed:

• Smoother operation while in EI mode
  • Fuel flow came down .5 gph when switched on but returned to previous after about 10 seconds
  • Engine "jumped" when system came alive throughout all RPM ranges
  • More noticeable changes at slower RPM's
  • Should provide better starts
  • It was fun to play with!

I do expect this to really pay off at reduced cruising RPM's at altitude and while running LOP.

I guess we will have to wait for that data and compare it to Darwin's results when we are both flying.

If there was anything I missed, ask away. I might have an answer for you.

I guess what it comes down to is any EI is better than a mag for all the same reasons. You need to make a choice based upon your needs, wants and budget.

I chose G3i because:

• G3i keeps the Slick mags
  • Uses the MSD box that cars have used for decades
  • Gives me 2 EI's in one box
  • I like capacitive discharge systems (prior experiences)
  • Price is good
  • Thomas has designed a really good system for the MSD box
  • The installation is simple

Can't wait to fly behind it!

;) CJ

Back