What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Linking Garmin696 to TT autopilot

docsuresh

Checking with folks who are using a Garmin X96 with a Trutrak AP.

I am about to pull the last of my remaining hair on this one. The rest of the panel is working great but I haven't been able to get the 696 to connect with the Trutrak and have a active flight plan on the 696 drive the TT autopilot.

I can check again but believe that I have it wired right and settings on the Garmin side (NMEA in/out, Fast 4800) and TT side (4800) are configured right.

Is there anything else I may be missing? Once you activate a flight plan is there something else that needs to be triggered at either end?

thanks,
Suresh
N765RV
Ramona, CA

Sounds correct. If you have the serial port set up for NMEA data, you don't need to do anything special to make the data come out. Maybe a wiring issue?

mcb

Try setting the Advanced NMEA setting to normal instead of fast....

Double check the wiring. Make sure your using the TX wire at the Garmin and the RX wire on the TT.

Also, make sure you have a common ground between the two units. If your running on the 696's battery, you need to ground the 696 to the same ground as the TT.

Last edited:
wanna-do-it-too

Is anyone still around from this thread or on this topic that could direct a guy who is electronics ignorant to a step by step guide on linking the 696 with the TT, or to another URL where specific details could be found about doing this?

Is anyone still around from this thread or on this topic that could direct a guy who is electronics ignorant to a step by step guide on linking the 696 with the TT, or to another URL where specific details could be found about doing this?

First, do you have the "bare wire" cord for the 696? It is an accessory you'll need to order from Aircraft Spruce or another vendor.

Second, do you have the pinouts for the TT?

If I recall correctly, the blue wire from the bare wire cord on the 696 attaches to the "NMEA IN" wire on the TT, but I don't remember the wire color from the TT. The red wire from the 696 goes to power, and the black wire to ground, IIRC.

The TT setup page tells you what baud rate and signal type to use and you need to configure the 696 to output the correct signal.

Hopefully, that helps, but if not, follow-up in this thread with the specific TT A/P you're using and we can download the manual and wade through the pinouts and setup.

First, do you have the "bare wire" cord for the 696? It is an accessory you'll need to order from Aircraft Spruce or another vendor.

Second, do you have the pinouts for the TT?

If I recall correctly, the blue wire from the bare wire cord on the 696 attaches to the "NMEA IN" wire on the TT, but I don't remember the wire color from the TT. The red wire from the 696 goes to power, and the black wire to ground, IIRC.

The TT setup page tells you what baud rate and signal type to use and you need to configure the 696 to output the correct signal.

Hopefully, that helps, but if not, follow-up in this thread with the specific TT A/P you're using and we can download the manual and wade through the pinouts and setup.
Thanks for the quick reply; very much appreciated. Maybe the word “ignorant” was being too optimistic, sadly most of that was French to me.

Starting here... this one?
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/avpages/airgizmosaudiojack.php

Neat, thanks.
Next... “pin outs for the TT”?

Your model of autopilot will have an installation manual that includes the wiring diagram of which pins(connections) to wire to various devices. That's the "pinout". Generally, the pins are numbered (say 1-19 or 1-30), and the diagram tells you (hypothetically) to connect pin 1 to ground, pin 2 to power, pin 3 to..., and so on.

Back