What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snorkel VA-132-2 vs Filter mounts

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Seeking assistance from fellow builders on fitting the inboard and outboard filter mounts vs the snorkel.

Instructions say to cut the VA-132-1A in half to make 2 parts.
6 1/8 inch each, then trim a 1/4 inch on one flange.
Thus, this results in a 5 7/8 inch long flange while the snorkel is 5 1/4 inch on that side.
Am I missing something?
Should I trim another 5/8 to match the snorkel's dimension??
I ask as I don't want to mess up these 2 parts, (as I messed up the lower left air ramp, following the baffles instructions before reading these instructions where it says to NOT trim that part before installing the snorkel...)
Also, the top view of the 3 filter mounts doesn't make sense to me.
The mounts don't seem to have that relative position one another once fitted to the snorkel...
????

Attachments

• IMG_6239.jpg
    IMG_6239.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_6238.jpg
    IMG_6238.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 181
I don't recall the exact details, but the key is that the metal frame needs to hold the filter and fit in the snorkel. Those are the critical sizes. Once that's done, make sure that it fits up against the ramp, and the snorkel aligns correctly down at the intake. It's a 3d puzzle, and the things you can change are mainly up near the filter.

The screws attach on three sides - left, right, and rear. There are no screws on the front, but the other screws seem to hold it all tight.

I have a few pictures here: http://www.rv8.ch/frankensnorkel/

Thanks Mickey for the link,
Yeah, this is a challenge to have everything to fit nice and tight.
I started to modify the snorkel to fit around the bigger B&C starter, and I'm slowly starting to see the whole picture.
Jereme also chimed in on another thread with great photos.
I confirm that a picture is worth (at least) a thousand words !!!

use the filter to verify or establish the "frame" dimensions. I had to make some shims as the snorkel was too large. And, if there is some slop in that, you can shift the filter location a bit to make the ramp opening location a bit better.
(check your lower cowl intake lip too)
For me, there were a lot of "degrees of freedom" in that stack up, not to mention a bunch of dimples added to the snorkel to clear starter tabs, alternator, and lower cowl.
Sure was not "plug and play" for me.

Back