What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Practice Kit: Step #8 question

aviationgeek84

Well Known Member
Hey All,

I was wondering if someone could help a newbie (me) decipher the instructions for Step #8 in the Van's Practice kit (not the toolbox).

The step reads:
Disassemble and debur all components. Dimple the remaining holes in the spar, skins and ribs. Dimpling the spar is a special case. It is 0.040" think - a bit thick to dimple well and a bit thin to machine countersink safely. So, we combine methods by dimpling first, then enlarging the dimple with a hand deburring tool. This is done by eye and tested by dropping a rivet in the hole to determine fit. Machine countersink the spar and trailing edge wedge with the microstop countersinking tool.

To me, as a newbie, it seems like this paragraph has two different set of thoughts in it - one says it's too thin to countersink, the other says to countersink the spar. :p Maybe I'm reading too much into it? Probably way easier than I'm making it.

Thanks!
Casey

Hey All,

I was wondering if someone could help a newbie (me) decipher the instructions for Step #8 in the Van's Practice kit (not the toolbox).

The step reads:

To me, as a newbie, it seems like this paragraph has two different set of thoughts in it - one says it's too thin to countersink, the other says to countersink the spar. :p Maybe I'm reading too much into it? Probably way easier than I'm making it.

Thanks!
Casey

Casey,
Sometimes when you dimple you might not get a full dimple in the material.
Thus, if you take your deburring tool and give it a couple turns in the dimple
it will allow the rivet to sit properly for riveting.
Machine countersinking would make the skin too thin but most spar material
is much thicker and does allow for countersinking.
I have not seen the practice kit so I'm shooting blind.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Casey,

I have assembled two of these practice kits and Steve is exactly correct. You must dimple as best you can the spar and then enlarge the hole with the deburing tool until the dimpled skin fits flush.

Thanks for the replies! I guess I got confused because at the end of the paragraph it still says to countersink and I wasn't following that logic. :)

This confused me as well.. going through step 8 right now and I’m like... okay it says to dimple and use the hand debur tool on the spar... then the next sentence says to machine countersink the spar.

Read ahead

It's a good practice to read far ahead.
I've been burned by manual instructions that later say, don't do this or that.
Too late. Buy new parts.

Back