What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Surefly

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Question about uninterrupted power. Do you need to run power direct from the battery or can you tie into the hot side of the starter solenoid. Once the engine is running the alternator would be feeding that terminal so even with the battery switch off, power is still there. Or since I have a -10, do I need to run a wire from the back all the way to the E mag so power is feed 24/7.

Assuming you're just running one Surefly.
Since we're not constrained by the STC that would be legal. Personally I would run the extra wire.

When I bought my Surefly in person at the factory as I live nearby, getting power from that solenoid was their recommendation for a RV10. I do still have a Slick on the right side.

Single point failure on an airplane is the master contactor

run the wire from the hot side and, at least, you will keep the engine running smoothly while everything else goes south! IMHO

Ron

I just installed a Surefly. I explored a bunch of options since my battery is in the tail. They were pretty adamant that the only two sources were direct from the battery or the hot side of the master solenoid. The starter solenoid would be cold with the master off. If you have a mag on the other side you will still have a running engine if you had to kill the master and alternator but personally I would prefer to have both ignitions.
G

Last edited:
Yes I will keep one mag. Have dual alternators and one battery. Pulling a wire from the battery would be a pain so would prefer not. Wanted to make sure if all power was cut to the E mag it would not cause an issue when powered up for a start. Loss of programming set up or something. The hot side of the stater solenoid sure simplifies the installation.

Yes I will keep one mag. Have dual alternators and one battery. Pulling a wire from the battery would be a pain so would prefer not. Wanted to make sure if all power was cut to the E mag it would not cause an issue when powered up for a start. Loss of programming set up or something. The hot side of the stater solenoid sure simplifies the installation.

So, If I remember correctly the STC requirements for two SureFlys is that the second one be tied into a back-up battery.
If you have a behind the panel back-up battery, you could use the hot side of the starter solenoid and also tie it into the back-up battery and feel good the you are covered pretty well.

1. Battery contactor closes - Alt will keep electrons flowing
  2. Alt fails - main battery keeps electrons flowing
  3. Battery contactor closes and Alt out of action - Back-up battery keeps electrons flowing

Back