What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

J channel edge lift

jamcgee1978

Riveting the leading edges have noticed as I?m setting the rivet they are having a tendency to bend ever so slightly the j channel causing a lift of the edges from the skin. Although the rivets have set correctly I understand this is just the rivet pan causing this.
Any of you folks have any home builder solutions to minimise this at all.

Thanks in advance from an Autumnal Scotland.

https://jamesmcgee.smugmug.com/RV10/i-rLGWR8Q

It may be the camera but to my eye it appears the j-channel is under dimpled (or using the wrong dies on the skin and/or j-channel) and not sitting flush with the skin. This is causing the puckering/lifting and the undersized shop heads.

Perhaps the rivets are over-set. You can download a riveting specification from Van's that gives the rivet heights. If I remember correctly,

-3 rivets, the shop head height should be .038 to .050 inches.

-4 rivets, it should be .050 to .070 inches.

Dave

Stiffeners or ribs do tend to lift slightly due to the pressure of setting the rivets. Not anything to worry about IMHO.

However, I would say your rivets seem to be a bit overset. Having said that, I don't think they are bad enough to warrant drilling out and doing again - just note for the future

Back