Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Job Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
For an EAB, the condition inspection can be signed off by (1) an original builder with a limited repairman certificate, or (2) an A&P. An IA is not required.
The point being...since he didn't build the plane, he can't sign off on his own annual Condition Inspection unless he's an A&P.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 07-07-2022, 06:39 PM

This is a flood of information and I thank you all for it.

The upside down due to rudder is a habit Iíve been trying to break for myself on the simulator ever since I got my license. I may have over done it during the COVID period and now I donít think I use enough. I barely touch the pedals except during taxi and any kind of crosswind landing. May have to relearn that skill a bit. I really think there is some kind of disconnect in my butt as I was a good soccer player and my batting average was decently high but I just canít make the legs and arms talk. Beyond getting my tail wheel are there things in the sim I can do to help this skill become solid?

As to the conditional inspection, my thought there being that I could walk through the plane with the A&P so I could see what they were looking for and get a good grasp of the inside of my new plane. Not necessarily to do the conditional the next year (Iím lazy, I can pay a professional whoís MUCH more knowledgeable than me to do it) but Iím decently mechanical and it would help me see the problem areas and where the strengths and weaknesses (as any system has) are in the plane. So what would be the main differences between a conditional inspection and a pre-buy inspection? Which is more involved and has a better chance of seeing issues? Or is it just a mindset where one is trying to find problems and one is trying to make a plane fly?

Again super excited about this info (thanks again) and getting into this community. I love adventuresÖ
Old 07-07-2022, 06:58 PM

Condition Inspection vs Pre-buy

Condition Inspection Checklist
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 07-07-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:17 AM

Default Well that clears that upÖ

Great article on Pre-Buy vs Conditional Inspection. Really makes the difference clear. I took away that ideally you would just do a conditional inspection as you bought the plane, fixing the squawks and negotiating them on the price. Is this how people feel or did I read all this wrong? A pre-buy of course makes sense too as it will get you to about the same place, minus a completely repaired plane.

Thatís a nice conditional inspection checklist too. I canít decide if Iím sad or happy that Iíll never be able to turn a wrench on this aircraft. I do love fixing things but there is no side of the road in the air. On that topic, what can you do to an experimental that you canít do in GA? My flight instructor basically told me if it wasnít air or liquid then it was something to take to the shop. Are you allowed to modify experimentals? Can I add a dial or screen to my panel? Can I swap out the seats? Stick? Engine? Make it a VTOL electric? I joke but how far can you go before someone says, hey thatís not the same aircraft?

It was asked where the aircraft was based at the moment and I totally dropped the ball. Itís in DeQuincy Airpark, 5R8. Now donít be running down there and yanking this one out from under me. Iím pretty serious about this one and I have the temporarily non-pilot in the house on board (sheíll get her license, no way sheís letting a less effective pilot fly her around permanently!). That was a long uphill battle.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:17 AM

You can perform any mechanical or avionics work that you desire on your E-AB. The only thing you can't do is sign off on the annual Condition Inspection. You can wrench on it to your heart's content if you're confident that your airplane mechanical skills are good enough that you would trust your life and the life of your passengers to them. For my part...I'm not that confident. I'm a pretty good auto mechanic but on my airplane I do almost nothing forward of the firewall, and generally have any other work that I do reviewed by my AP/IA. I know how to do routine maintenance like oil/filter/plug changes, but usually have my AP/IA do those things because of time constraints, and it's just easier to fit into my schedule. For each CI so far, I have generally spent time removing the interior, fairings, baggage bulkhead, wheel pants, and all inspection panels so that I'm not paying my A&P to do that grunt work. My condition inspections thus far have been (relatively) cheap...all have been less than 1 AMU. (AMU = Aviation Monetary Unit...$1000). With some help from a friend, I've added a G5 to the panel as HSI backup, and replaced/upgraded my entire EFIS to the most current version, added AoA to the glass panel. That was hard for me...glad I had help. Fascinating learning experience.

When I bought my airplane it was airworthy with a current Condition Inspection so I saw no reason to repeat that. Instead, I focused on a pre-buy inspection by someone with demonstrated knowledge and expertise with RV's (not an A&P). I didn't want to start fixing things by an unknown A&P at a foreign and distant airport unless it was something that would make for an unsafe ferry flight back home...unlikely since it had been inspected within a year. I, or my pre-buy guy, talked directly with the AP/AI that had done the last CI as well as the AP/AI that had done all the previous CI's. Both remembered the plane, were very forthcoming and helpful. I assumed that the person doing the pre-buy inspection for me would identify and apprise me of anything that needed to be fixed before the flight home and assure me of safety of flight. All the more confident of that because he was my transition CFI and was flying back with me, so he had skin in that game.
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 07-08-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:34 PM

Default Cart before the horse

I know how exciting the idea of buying an airplane can be. But you owe it to yourself to make an educated decision before putting down many tens of thousands of dollars. There is no substitute for, and the faa expects, you to know the rules for EAB aircraft. Yes, you may work on it. ĎMajorí work may require a return to phase 1 operating limits. You will have to have an A&P do a once a year Ďconditioní inspection. Currently it is not legal to pay or otherwise compensate a cfi for instructing you in your EAB plane. But the FAA will give you a waiver, all done by email (search ĎLODAí). You know you cannot currently fly this plane to Mexico? You may absolutely not rent it to a non-owner, but part-owners (partnerships) are allowed? Donít get me wrong, I love my RV. But you donít want to find any unpleasant surprises, after the sale. BTW, insurance for a new owner might be expensive, depending on your pilot experience. I recommend a call to Jenny at Gallagher agency (a VAF advertiser) to talk insurance. The call is free.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:51 AM

Default Slowing down...

I was getting too excited and ahead of myself. Realized I just missed that feeling of flying and I really have to slow down and dot all my T's and cross... something...

This thread has been great and I've found so much helpful information. I can't thank you all enough. Already talked to some amazing people because of it, and thanks to all of you, hopefully, you've protected me from myself.

I'm sure there will be more questions and I know there will be answers out there now.

Thanks.