Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > Rocket
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2022, 08:07 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

After moving to northern Nevada from Texas, I have determined that when it comes to these aircraft, if you say “Rocket” west of Salt Lake, everyone assumes you’re talking about a Harmon, and if you say it east of Salt Lake, they assume you mean an F1…..

RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 06-16-2022, 08:39 AM

There is another thread started by Steve Smith where it looks like they are getting close to test flying a tapered, carbon wing. That would be an awesome match, if they were interested in producing them for sale?

F4 Raider project with RV-8 wings and tail
Old 06-16-2022, 09:10 AM

I want to point out that Mark supported me a great deal when I built a Harmon Rocket.

He sold me a sliding canopy, SS windshield, wheel pants, spinner, and a propeller (at least) and provided me a lot of free advice.

Specifically, he gave me the formula for reinforcing the horizontal stabilizer, which I implemented.

Thanks, Mark!
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 06-16-2022, 10:02 AM

Default Adding to the Drift

To the OP: Between tail feathers, wings, canopies and FWF, the ďRocketĒ may be the most mixed and matched EAB aircraft flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
I want to point out that Mark supported me a great deal when I built a Harmon Rocket.

He sold me a sliding canopy, SS windshield, wheel pants, spinner, and a propeller (at least) and provided me a lot of free advice.

Specifically, he gave me the formula for reinforcing the horizontal stabilizer, which I implemented.

Thanks, Mark!
Ditto: Mark and Vince are great!

vlittle, or Mark, care to share the specifics of the Harmon horizontal stab reinforcement? Iíve read every Rocket thread here on the forum and donít recall it being covered.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoman View Post
To the OP: Between tail feathers, wings, canopies and FWF, the ďRocketĒ may be the most mixed and matched EAB aircraft flying.

Ditto: Mark and Vince are great!

vlittle, or Mark, care to share the specifics of the Harmon horizontal stab reinforcement? Iíve read every Rocket thread here on the forum and donít recall it being covered.
http://www.vx-aviation.com/sprocket/empennage.htm
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 06-16-2022, 02:18 PM

Vince here. Let me say a few things here:

1) No, we're not out of business, nor do we plan to be.

2) Yes, we've had continual trouble with our website. Blake is supposed to be migrating it to a new hosting service soon. In the meantime the website will probably continue to be troublesome. Very sorry, but please remember we're airplane nerds not tech geeks. The website is the lowest priority to us. Absolutely bottom of the list.

3) As Mark mentioned, I tried to pick up where he left off starting in 2016. We have everything made in the U.S.

4) There are no quick build kits. And until we finish the new wing, there are no tapered wings available. The sport wing is a great wing and it is still available partly through us and partly through another well-known company. We are working through those parts, and have spars, ribs, and skins. We do not make the control surfaces yet.

5) As others have mentioned, there are more options as to how to build this airplane than there used to be. However, the RV8 wings are no longer among the supported options.

6) In spite of any rumors to the contrary, the Rockets were never based on the RV-8.

7) IMPORTANT: We're building a new shop ( and home) near Cutler, INDIANA. We're in the middle of the construction and the move. Because of this, we're not taking any new kit orders at this time. We are, however, doing our best to get necessary parts to our existing customers. This is solely due to the construction and move, and not anything to do with price of gasoline or any current political situation. Please refrain from speculating as it will certainly be incorrect.

8) Come see us at Oshkosh for a face to face discussion.

Cheers!
Vince
1-888-F1AIRCRAFT (1-888-312-4727)
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold in 1994, purchased in 2018
Old 06-16-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
Yeah. If I've neglected to say it, Mark is a class act.

True story. Many moons ago I thought I wanted a Rocket. Called Mark. No kits available, but if I gave him a large deposit he would see about getting one from Europe for me. I didn't know Mark from Bob's housecat, so I said no thanks.

Six months or more later, Mark called one day to say a customer would not be building his kit, and asked if I would like to buy it. I had already started a new project and had to pass, but I was very impressed. Mark was spending time helping two customers at no gain to himself.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:20 PM

Vince I hope your new shop build is going better than mine! Iím a month into clearing/construction and still donít have footings poured. Hope this isnít an omen to my future Rocket projectÖ.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 06-17-2022, 01:40 AM

Default Mark and Vince

TOTALLY agree that both these gentlemen are very giving of their time and expertise.Fine examples of the homebuilding community. Truly appreciated
Old 06-19-2022, 02:13 PM

I own harmon rocket II serial #1. It was built by john harmon at the factory for his dentist friend. It was the first airplane built using all the production kit parts. It is based on the rv4 kit with the usual known harmon mods to turn it into a rocket. The one thing I found strange when talking to john on the phone was that this airplane was built with a modified rv6 wing instead of the rv4 wing. It is lighter on the controls than my previous rv4 in both roll and yaw. The pitch is heavier, but I do have the f1 modified bell crank that makes it very nice to fly. It flies great, cruises fast and climbs like you would not believe with a 540, 10-1 pistons and ram air. I can go 195ktas on 15 gph above 8000ft DA or I can go 155 ktas at 1000ft and 18”/2200rpm on 9gph. It makes me giggle like a school girl everytime I fly it. I also love the extra room in the cockpit and never have to worry about performance or being overloaded.
Harmon Rocket #1
IO-540
10-1 pistons

1959 Piper PA22-150 Tri-Pacer
Quicksilver MXL-II Sport Ultralight

Rv7a sold
Rv6 sold
Rv4 sold
Rv3 sold

Last edited by titanhank : 06-19-2022 at 02:15 PM.