What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Petit Jean Update 8 days out!

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
The 2021 RV Gathering is most definitely ON! 8 days out and it’s looking really nice! We're getting close to 90 airplanes registered to attend and we are looking for 100+ by next week. Looking forward to seeing all the Petit Jean Repeats back on the Mountain!

The temperatures look like a hikers dream. Lows in the 50’s and highs between 70 and 74. How good is that. Remember that Thursday arrivals are fine and we already have about 20 airplanes and crews that come to help set up. It’s a fun day! We do have rooms open for Thursday night, all you need to do is call the Rockefeller Center Registration Desk. 501 727 5435. Don’t forget to bring a chair and tie downs and stakes.

petit_jean_registrations_2021-60867687.jpg

petit_jean_2016_group-45870173.jpg

We will be serving light lunch Thursday and dinner will be a fun time at Mather Lodge! Slight change in Friday night plan. Our usual White Table Cloth Gala Dinner :rolleyes: will be a little more casual in the covered, lighted, tennis court area with an open bar and a great southern dinner menu. You might want a light jacket, temps should be about 60-65 degrees. Of course, we will have our usual dog and pony entertainment with various games and challenges, RV Videos playing on the big screen, Tail Number Bingo after dinner, and a video briefing for all those wanting to fly the 2021 Petit Jean Challenge on Saturday afternoon. That’s our balloon busting event that goes on over the top of ramp games and fun Saturday. Don’t forget to bring a chair and tie downs and stakes. Please look at the Arrival Information and Activity Schedules but here is a short version of the weekend.

Thursday
  • First arrivals and campground/ramp set up. Pick up transport vans, shuttle KORK EAA folks to get their airplanes. Expecting 20+
  • Lunch on the Ramp
  • Hang out and have fun or Trial Hiking ( 7 beautiful trails with waterfalls, caves, etc) , Antique Auto Museum, or Mather tours
  • Shuttle over to really nice dinner at Mather Lodge
Friday
  • Shuttle to breakfast at Mather Lodge or do it on your own! No plan for the early arrivals but Mather is a great breakfast place in the AM
  • First shuttle to the trails leaves at 9:00 AM ( this is usually pretty light )
  • Lunch on the Ramp
  • Hike, fly, or hang out. Shuttles run continuously to the RCC, Trails, Mather, Museums, Ice Cream (my favorite)
  • Gather at the RCC Tennis Center around 5:30 for games and challenges and just some fun and drinks before dinner. Bar opens at 5:30
  • Dinner at the RCC Tennis Center around 6:45
  • Fun Stuff after dinner and then depart to the campgrounds to gather there or stay and gather at the Presidents Lodge Gathering Area
  • Party Hardy or get a good nights sleep and get ready for awesome Saturday Trails and fun at the airport.
Saturday
  • Breakfast at the RCC or in the Campground depending on Glampers or Campers :D
  • First shuttle to the trails leaves at 9:00 AM ( this is the preferred run because of the fun ramp activity in the afternoon )
  • Lunch on the Ramp 11:30 to 1:00. We’ll wait on returning hikers.
  • Hike, fly, or hang out. Shuttles run continuously to the RCC, Trails, Mather, Museums, Ice Cream (my favorite)
  • Second shuttle to the trails at 1:00. Know that you may miss some of the activity but some of the nice trails are less than an hour long. Some are 3 hours long.
  • Briefing for the Petit Jean Challenge Balloon event is at 2:00. Everyone flying must attend! This is a fun flying event and easy to fly safely!
  • Games with prizes on the ramp, a little betting pool on the Balloon Busters, and then sit back and let’s grade them as they go by!
  • Balloon Buster Challenge event starts with first group at 3:00 then 3:30 then 4:00, etc.
  • Dinner at 6:30 under the big tent but spread out for good spacing
  • After Dinner we have a really fun Auction and Raffle. Giving away several airplane kits, a new SUV, and maybe an RV10 if Vans aircraft comes through :rolleyes:
  • About 8:00’ ish everyone just hangs around the campfires and laughs and laughs about the days activities. Some return to the RCC early and some late a
    nd some … not at all (Usually the Scotch drinkers :eek:
Sunday
  • Breakfast at the RCC or in the Campground depending on Glampers or Campers :)
  • Departures or final groups to the trails … a hike and fly!
  • Wave good bye to all your new PJ Friends and your PJ Repeats.

For information on trails, the museum, or the Petit Jean Challenge, check out the General Information page at www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com Just noticed the Arrival and Schedules are out of date but will be fixed later tonight. Just follow the rough schedule above!

If you are coming, please, please, please be sure you have completed the OnLine Registration.
If you have not .... Click Here for On Line Fly In Registration: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PJFI_2021
This is simply information for logistics, no dollars required. Everything has to be brought up to the Mountain, so we need to know for sure who and how many are planning on attending. If you have NOT done the OnLine Registration, please do so as soon as possible. Don’t forget to bring a chair and tie downs and stakes.

dsc_0508-6816622.jpg

photo_39-92000656.jpg

Welcome to the RV Mountain! :)

Bill & Various other Petit Jean Indians

COVID Protocol…. Do what you think makes others feel safe! These are your friends, let's all be considerate! Most activities will be outdoors! Because of the demographic, we do expect that most attendees will have been vaccinated but there are no guarantees and we’re not asking for cards.

Last edited:
Vans will be attending

Looks like Greg Hughes from Vans will be there with some Autographed Vans Hats and the big raffle item :D I asked him to let us raffle off an RV15 Kit and he said he could absolutely, positively, get someone to think about that! ;)

I'm getting the big space ready and looking for the truck :rolleyes:

Bill

Petit Jean Warbird Rides

What a deal! One of our local members of the CAF worked out a deal to allow us to raffle off a couple warbird rides. Check these out and picture yourself in the back seat waving like that pretty little lady. Join us October 14-17 at Petit Jean Mountain State Park! It's the RV Gathering on the Mountain! See website for details: www.PetitJeanRVFlyin.com

Big thank you to Jeff Lashbrook, also a RV8 owner.

img_2021_09_28_202601_02-8274103.jpg

img_2021_10_08_102404_04-67527177.jpg

img_2021_10_08_190735_01-92370778.jpg

Hey, who is that funny looking RV4 in the bottom ?? Paul ???

img_2021_10_08_102405_05-75875437.jpg

Hope you can make it, everythings new at Petit Jean!

Bill

Petit Jean

I finished my plane shortly after the last Petit Jean event and was excited about flying in last year but then Covid! Petit Jean this year will be twice as exciting for me since I get to bring N3515B this year!

Attachments

• 26B52E27-185C-4D1B-8180-32F3BDC93D52.jpg
    26B52E27-185C-4D1B-8180-32F3BDC93D52.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 168
Pretty plane!

Man, that is a wall hangar for sure. Looking forward to seeing you on the ramp. We have 87 registered tonight and I know of 5-6 that are coming but can't seem to get the OnLine registration down :rolleyes:. Doesn't matter, we cover everyone!

It's good to be back on the Mountain. Mowing and filling gopher holes tomorrow. Mulching the soft spots and putting a polish on the ramp! It's all good on the mountain!

Bill

The Mountain calls!

Kelli and I CANNOT WAIT for PJ! It's always a hoot, wonderful people, great food, and fantastic scenery both from the air and on the ground.

As for me, I'm on the hunt for the 1st place trophy in the balloon bust!

IMG_6362.JPG

IMG_6363.JPG

Bulldog Flight

Hey Slats,
Will Bulldog Flight perform in the Airshow box again this year? What a great performance.

Probably ... :)

I'm not sure I would say perform but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do a couple of various formations over the ramp area just for show and tell! :) Have to kick the Bulldog and see what he says. Most likely, he will be in the golf cart parking your airplane Thursday so you can ask the Dog himself. Might need you to fly in my place.

On the Balloon Challenge ... well you should know that my grandson will be spotting balloons for me so that will be a definite advantage ;) Todd (last years winner) also seems to think he still has some secret sauce left and I think his wife Carmen will be his Gunnery Coach on the ground! I suspect she and Kelli might be a pair to see in action :rolleyes:

Back