What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Canyon Helo Evac, Lessons

douglassmt

Well Known Member
This thread isn't strictly RV related but it's aviation and safety related and it certainly has safety lessons that could be of use in the event of aircraft emergencies. Sorry if this is long...

On March 30, I launched on a private Grand Canyon Float trip with 15 others. The trip was scheduled for 19 days, 280 river miles. I've rafted big whitewater but it was my first time on the Grand Canyon. There were 75 combined GC trips between the other boaters - lot's of experience, which is one reason I went. The National Park Service (NPS) tells you to bring a satellite phone for emergencies, which we did. For the heck of it, I also packed my VHF comm radio, Spot Tracker, and Personal Locator Beacon.

All was well, water was clear, weather was good, rapids were run, until Day 11 when one of our rafts (the boater with the most experience by far) flipped in a rapid near Mile 113. He and his wife were both ejected from the boat but she was trapped under it. He was able to pull her from under the boat below the rapid but her arm/shoulder had been injured. He was in shock and very cold, we couldn't rule out injury to him, but he was in no condition to continue. Both are approximately 65 years old.

After righting the raft and stabilizing the injured, we floated downstream to find a landing zone and started trying to get out on the Sat phone. No connection.

When we found a beach with potential LZs, I activated my Spot Tracker SOS signal and set it on a rock to do its thing. Then I started working the frequencies on the VHF comm radio. I knew we were in the middle of a no-fly zone that prohibits air tours and private flight to 14,400' msl so my best chance was to get a commercial flight. After a couple minutes broadcasting on 121.5, I got a response from a Southwest Airlines flight overhead. He asked how he could help and I relayed the NPS emergency phone number, information on the injured, and our location on the river. He said he would relay the info to LA Center and try to contact me back to let me know if he got through. A few minutes later he called back and said ATC was making the call. Then I lost him. I tried for almost 2 more hours to get any other flight - on 121.5 and all the ARTCC frequencies as well as the VFR frequencies - with no luck. And we could see commercial flights overhead. I found out later that NPS rescue got the call from ARTCC 5 minutes after I called SWA. Impressive.

We did not get out on the Sat phone until over an hour later, and only then by climbing quite a ways up the canyon. When we did, NPS told us they would be there in 90 minutes, but actually showed up about 40 minutes later.

We learned some lessons that could be of use in lots of circumstances, including an off airport landing:

1. Sat phones are unreliable, may not get connections and they can drop you after a minute or two. Getting a connection was tougher in the canyon, but you can get dropped anywhere and you don't know where you will be that could make getting a connection difficult. However, if they work they allow the best and most direct 2-way communication.
2. Having a comm radio was a HUGE help, allowed us to get the word to NPS rescue in 5 minutes as well as communicate with the helo during approach and landing. They told us they wished everyone on the canyon had one and knew how to use it. NPS Helitack does NOT monitor 121.5 as a normal procedure, but that day their pilot was monitoring it and actually heard SWA respond to my first call.
3. They did not launch after hearing SWA talking to me or getting the call from ATC because they wanted more information - they did not receive the condition information of the second person and they did not know if we had stopped and were setting up an LZ. It is important to give them as much info as possible. They assumed that since we had contacted a plane that they would be hearing from us to provide the additional information. Which turned out to be true with us but it might not be in another situation.
4. I used the Spot Tracker to send "OK" messages every evening during the trip when we got off the river and it got out every time without trouble. It also got out on the SOS signal immediately. However, NPS did not receive the call from the Spot signal until over an hour after the call from ARTCC.
5. I debriefed with the Spot folks and they said that most people do not use the "additional information" field when programming the SOS button online. On the website, you can add text that they will receive along with the SOS signal and GPS location. I wrote that I would be in the GC and any SOS signal would mean an emergency in the canyon and NPS should be contacted. They said that was a HUGE help in expediting their response. I had never used it before setting it up for this trip. If you have a Spot, consider writing something in this field that will help them expedite response for whatever scenario you anticipate.
6. Not many commercial planes monitor 121.5 but the day after I got home I happened to meet a SWA pilot who told me that they just recently added it to their SOPs. You certainly can't count on getting someone on 121.5, but if you know the center and CTAF frequencies in the area you may very well be able to reach an aircraft for help. I'll be writing a letter of thanks to SWA.
7. In debriefing with the NPS incident commander he said they "always launch" on a Spot SOS signal, but do so reluctantly because they receive so many false alarms. One woman sent the Spot SOS signal because her water "tasted salty." So a Spot is a great tool to have, and will probably bring help, but use it responsibly.
8. Overall, we were successful because we had redundant communications and knew how to use them. We would have gotten out with any of them eventually, but having all of them expedited the response. We could have done some things better and will if it happens again.

The injured boaters are recovering and will be fine. The NPS flight crew was impressive and I can't thank SWA enough (but I will try), along with LA Center for a fast relay.

I hope this information is useful to someone.

A short video is at the following link to show you what it was like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbZ9QRXx2U

Surprised you were unable to contact other commercial aircraft. At NWA radio #2 was tuned to "Guard."

Great story. I fly for SWA and will try and track down the crew. My first real flying job was flying the ditch decades ago.

FDC Notam 4/4386

Not many people read the FDC Notams, but this one has been out there for a while.

--- Quote from: FDC 4/4386 ---ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0.

Paige

Me too

Great story. I fly for SWA and will try and track down the crew. My first real flying job was flying the ditch decades ago.

I have contacted LA center and they are working to find a flight number that I can use to track down, thank, and give credit to the SWA crew. If you find out, please let me know by pm.

I have done a lot of backpacking all around the US and am not surprised that your SAT phone wouldn't work. Novice hikers always lug a GPS along, ?just in case?. What most people don?t understand is that you need a ?clear? view of multiple satellites for them to work. That typically means climbing to the top of a ridge.

On that same note, I will keep my 496 in my AirGizmo panel dock until it is replaced with something similar and the removable antenna in the plane. I have taught my wife how to remove the 496, install the antenna, and switch it to auto mode should I be incapacitated and she needs to hike ?out? for help.

I was unaware of this NOTAM but have recently taken to tuning in 121.5 and monitoring it on my iCom A210. Having the monitor capability is just outstanding! Only once have I heard an ELT going off and it was quickly reported to ATC.

Not many people read the FDC Notams, but this one has been out there for a while.

--- Quote from: FDC 4/4386 ---ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0.

Paige

Great story. Just curiosity but which rapid or river mile was the incident?

I would love to do a private, non-motor trip some day!

Responding to a distress call on federal property can be tricky sometimes.

We use to have to tell NPS personnel that they had to follow protocol by initiating the call- out through AFRCC in order for us to launch on a search. The helitack guys work closely with the SAR folk at Grand Canyon. But they are not the same.

A Lot of Monday morning quarterbacking goes on after a SAR call out. And the guy on the end of the rope has very little control on how the mission was managed.

Not complaining. Just something to think about when you're sitting there watching airplanes fly overhead and fear no one is coming. It takes time to put a SAR plan into action. And, sending a helo below the rim on a distress call that has yet to be substantiated can be dangerous business.

Last edited:
Walthenberg

Great story. Just curiosity but which rapid or river mile was the incident?

I would love to do a private, non-motor trip some day!

Louise - he flipped first in Horn Creek on day 8, got thrown out in Granite, then the 2nd flip happened in Walthenberg at mile 113. In 25 previous trips he had only flipped once so this was very uncharacteristic and really shook him. We had to float down to about mile 115 to get to an LZ.

As it happens, we drew another permit for next year! I wasn't sure I was going to go, but if you and Paul want to join us I might be tempted. Your expertise would be a great addition to the crew. Paul could provide some ballast and maybe a space shuttle story or two ;)

I just got out of surgery this morning for a torn bicep I sustained in Granite, my souvenir.

A+

Responding to a distress call on federal property can be tricky sometimes.

We use to have to tell NPS personnel that they had to follow protocol by initiating the call- out through AFRCC in order for us to launch on a search. The helitack guys work closely with the SAR folk at Grand Canyon. But they are not the same.

A Lot of Monday morning quarterbacking goes on after a SAR call out. And the guy on the end of the rope has very little control on how the mission was managed.

Not complaining. Just something to think about when you're sitting there watching airplanes fly overhead and fear no one is coming. It takes time to put a SAR plan into action. And, sending a helo below the rim on a distress call that has yet to be substantiated can be dangerous business.

Overall we were very pleased with how it went off. It's very hard to be critical when you are where we were, needing what we needed, and needing it soon. More than one of us pondered how John Wesley Powell would have fared in the same situation in 1869 with one arm. We are very, very grateful.

Just got off the GC myself

Our put in was March 18, and Horn gave us the most trouble, no flips and no emergencies thankfully. Thanks for sharing, I usually take my handheld and my Spot but didn't take the handheld this time as we had a Sat. Phone. Might have to rethink that on the next trip. I hope the injured bought the insurance for getting airlifted out.

Randy
8A

Nice post Doug...I agree with other responses...this was educational. I'm curious, what frequency did you use to talk to the Helo? I'd love to do a trip like this one of these days.

Take it

Our put in was March 18, and Horn gave us the most trouble, no flips and no emergencies thankfully. Thanks for sharing, I usually take my handheld and my Spot but didn't take the handheld this time as we had a Sat. Phone. Might have to rethink that on the next trip. I hope the injured bought the insurance for getting airlifted out.

Randy
8A

Take the handheld, period. It is good backup for the Sat phone plus allows you to talk to the helo pilot during approach and landing. As you can imagine, they are very nervous about landing in a hostile off-airport location with lots of non-aviation people running around, often behaving unpredictably. With the handheld you can respond to his instructions and make his life easier. I also got the impression that knowing an aviation savvy person was on the ground made him very happy.

If you read the regulations, the airlift to the rim is covered by the nps, then you are responsible from then on. I also had purchased the rescue insurance from Spot.

Most airliners do monitor 121.5. The issue is that you also have to maintain com with dispatch. Some airliners are still flying without ACARS and use number 2 com for dispatch.
The added benefit beyond the obvious in monitoring guard is it may save you from a flight violation. Center will often try to contact a flight heading for trouble on guard or get you on the right freq if you miss a change.

George

Nice post Doug...I agree with other responses...this was educational. I'm curious, what frequency did you use to talk to the Helo? I'd love to do a trip like this one of these days.

I had a list of the local VFR frequencies for the corridors over the park, plus the ARTCC frequencies for the entire park airspace, and the Special VFR chart for the restricted airspace over the park. From the chart I knew we were smack dab in the middle of a no-fly zone to 14.4k msl. So I started with 121.5 and got SWA. I worked every single frequency for a couple hours and got bupkis.

Backup

Randy
8A

One other thought. You know how violent the rapids are and the general environment of water, wind, dust, heat, vibration/shock. What if the boat with the phone flips and the phone is lost or damaged? Or maybe just quits working? We put our comm/emergency devices in two separate boats. Redundancy/backup was one of our lessons.

was it Walthenberg rapid? I swam that rapid on my first GC trip [also first time ever paddling an IK]. impressive response and help flying.

Upset rapid scares me the most. swam it first year and was bounced off the bottom of the river twice in that hole at the end. [filled my shoes with silt] second trip was proud to IK thru Lava upright, then rescue a hardsheller. I only hardshell kayak now.

Let's talk!

I'll send our email addresses through a PM.

Funny, my first (banana boat) trip down the Canyon loss some folks in only one rapid....Walthenberg!

Back